E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Turbos are not the restriction at altitude

01-11-2008, 03:02 PM   #23
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi, S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMartin View Post
I agree if there was going to be a communication problem it wouldnt connect at all with VISTA. But is seems to have worked with my problem that is. Stranger things have happened with computers i suppose.

Be carefull if you up your torque values to get yourself close to 15 PSI while at 7000ft then drive down to 4000ft you could cause damage to your car.
Shiv reminded me not to go down to sea level with the torque settings i was running it would create far to much boost. And i travel to the coast often its only a 4 hour drive.
I plan to monitor boost when I drive to lower elevations, so no worries there. My work requires me to have my laptop where ever I go, so again no problems.

What I know has been proven by one member is the IC upgrade helped him at higher elevations. How much it helped him I don't recall, but it makes me want to consider getting one and also makes me think how much I will have to adjust the user torque settings to get optimal boost at my elevations.

I agree with the other members that elevation does rob boost. The higher you go the slower you are, but in this case it seems to be the way Vista communicated with the procede and it still puzzles me that it somehow altered the firmware/map upload. I'm going to research the differences between XP and Vista communication protocols. Like we both mentioned Thomas it shouldn't have communicated with the procede at all if it were to have problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orientblue3 View Post
They can be found dirt cheap these days.
Lol I don't think $1200 is dirt cheap... but it was a steal for a brand new never installed procede v1 and v2, plus I didn't have to wait months for shipping.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 03:03 PM   #24
orientblue3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: RIP 335, Now P30 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by down4it View Post
Yeah real cheap smart guy... I think i saw a guy sell just a V2 harness for like over $300 on this site like a couple weeks ago...

Keep dreamin and drivin slow, Hater...
He bought V1 with V2 not just the V2 upgrade, but glad you were paying attention smart guy. I wasn't trying to take a cheap shot. It's the truth. I just sold mine for a $400 loss, brand new. It took 3 weeks to sell it for that price. The buyer was the only one interested. So don't tell me they are holding their value when they are clearly not.

My issues with their customer service have nothing to do with the resale going price of their product. Click on the link in my sig if you don't believe me.

Start readin' before you start hatin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humtek View Post
Lol I don't think $1200 is dirt cheap... but it was a steal for a brand new never installed procede v1 and v2, plus I didn't have to wait months for shipping.

It's a steal for what the original pricing is ($1515 plus shipping for v1 and v2 which is atleast an additional $30). Like I said above, mine went for dirt cheap when compared to the original retail. Plus the fact that you did not have to wait 3+ months. God knows what amount people would have paid to get their V2's without waiting a couple of months ago.

The bottom line is the supply outweighs the demand (at least for another couple of days when Vishnu catches up on shipping) on V2's. That's why they sell for what they do. Once they catch up on the backorder, the price will drop like a rock. Just like they did with v1. It's simple economics and facts (along with some limp mode panic), its not my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 03:21 PM   #25
Boostin335
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G82 M4CX, C8, MKIV Supra

glad u got it fixed
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 03:23 PM   #26
Evo8MRto335I
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: can't list them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMartin View Post
I Fully agree altitude does effect boost, there is more air at sea level so its easier to boost more. But i thought my max boost of 13.6 PSI was due to the turbos being maxed out because of my altitude but im now boosting 14.4 with lower torque settings so at MY altitude it wasnt the turbos being the bottleneck. Someone at sea level will obviously get 15 PSI easier than me.

It will be interesting to know how high you can go without the car being able to compensate and hold a high boost setting.
That is a great question. mI agree with you on that, I will like to see how much overboost is the engine capable of compensating for altitude.

I have done Pikes peak all the way to the top on a turbo car and I can tell you that it completely killed the performance. I am sure the N54 engine will loose boost soon or later(ionce it pass the overboost compensation)
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 03:58 PM   #27
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

All i know is with my vista i couldn't upload a single firmware or map...it would just freeze...I am pretty savvy with the computer too...I went out and bought myself a old ibm thinkpad 600e like my friend Turbo-335i just for the Procede...It cost me 150 shipped with the xp operating system...Now my upgrades for the Procede is a joke now...Vista truly sucks in my eyes, but i guess new technology has its glitches especially since it just came out..ThomasMartin i would have to agree with you that the Vista was partially your problem...glad u fixed it
Appreciate 0