E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > 335 cluster into 328 car

10-11-2021, 11:47 AM   #1
TyroneShoelaces
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 N54 swapped

335 cluster into 328 car

I know I'm putting the cart in front of the horse on my N54 swap into my wagon as I still have lots of work to do mechanically, but I need to accomplish multiple tasks simultaneuosly if there is shipping or locating a vendor.

OK I have 3 cluster options, not sure which route to go:

Use the 328 cluster that is currently native to the car. Not really a long term ideal situation and I assume the mpg needle can be coded to display oil temp somehow, I assume simplest option.

Use 335i cluster out of my pre lci donor vehicle in the LCI wagon with higher miles than the wagon

I have a 335is cluster I got super cheap from another local partout that has had the backlighting switched to white and looks pretty sweet (was a dct car)

So I can maybe switch eeproms or just handle with coding?

I know NOTHING about actual coding on BMW and haven't crossed thaat bridge yet on my swap project. I know it's the long pole in the tent nd want to get moving as I have to figure out if I shoul
d .use the donor cas and dme, clone the donor cas and use the lat cas and early dme or some combination.

I'm possibly going to recruit professional help with it all so maybe I'll buy once and cry once and get the cluster done while someone good with coding can help me with the car.
I know rambling but I'm thinking out loud (on screen), but any quick thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 02:11 PM   #2
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

I've been thinking of this for a while and have done a bit of research.

Here's a post with some basic instructions.

Step 1 says you'll have to zero the mileage if the replacement KOMBI has higher mileage than your car. Step 2 says you still have to erase the VIN in the EEPROM, so either way you'll need access to a R270 programmer. Best bet is to send it off to someone who has one. I've seen a few posts about this on the forum here but don't know offhand who is doing it these days.

Personally I want to get a European 335i cluster on my 330 for the decluttered speedometer in Km/h only (I use the digital display in MPH and never look at the analog dial) and for the temperature gauge.

Another potentially easier option if you don't feel like sending the replacement KOMBI to get virginized is to just replace the gauge faces on the original cluster and reprogram the MPG indicator to show temperature.
Appreciate 0