E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Help me find the problem

10-08-2011, 11:07 PM   #1
Tony135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ‘22 Model 3

Help me find the problem

Ok, so as some of you have seen in the Meth Stage 2 thread, my car is running a little slower than it should. I have a DCT 135i with jb4 (stage 2) and meth at a 80/20 mix, catless downpipe, berk race exhaust, ER charge pipe and ER intercooler.

The problem is when I was dynoing, my logs were showing that my car was requesting 16.5psi and was only getting about 13. So clearly I'm missing some boost. My initial reaction is the front mount and one of it's couplers. However, I've heard from numerous people that a FMIC will cause a natural loss in boost. Does 3.5psi seem like a normal loss for a FMIC or is that a boost leak?

I'm going to be tightening up all the couplers soon. I examined it briefy and I couldn't see anywhere it has blown off. Also, not sure if this is related or not, but if I am in a gear, say 2nd and I'm slowing accelerating, my car almost sounds like its having numerous fuel cuts. I'll try to capture it on film, but it sounds like ERRRRrrrRRRRRRrrrRRRRrrrRRR. That probably made no sense to you guys, but I'll try and capture a video and also some logs.

Let me know what you guys think! I'll be doing some testing tonight or tomorrow to hopefully narrow it down.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 02:39 PM   #2
stevem17500
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Tony my car hits 16 pounds even spikes 17 ... I have herd cars after Ic to run loweer boost but more efficiently... if u want to get tog i can help u log and review ur boost levels..have u tried running difereent map see wat boost level hitting.iv even began rr uning my own custom map.after logging many runs

Last edited by stevem17500; 10-09-2011 at 02:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 03:06 PM   #3
FrankiE90
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Krooked Sk8board

did u see any error codes during dyno runs -

try changing boost setting, start 12psi and work ur way up.

this prob doesn't matter but clean ur MAF sensor.

check ur charge pipe sensor - see if it's seat'd correctly.
pull out and seat back in.

check the fitting going to the T-Body.

worst comes to worst and if u really want to test.
pull the FMIC and reinstall Stock fmic and dyno.
that's the extreme case.

good luck
      10-09-2011, 11:43 PM   #4
Tony135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I'll check all of that Franki! Thanks. Steve, we can meet up some time Tuesday if you want.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 02:44 PM   #5
stevem17500
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony135 View Post
I'll check all of that Franki! Thanks. Steve, we can meet up some time Tuesday if you want.
Quote:
Tony 135 did u try different map see how u boost if it holds. Tue no good for me. Maybe wed or thur
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 03:42 PM   #6
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 ZCP M3

subscribing
      10-10-2011, 04:24 PM   #7
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2005 C55 AMG

well... there's been lots of talk of boost leaking at the charge pipe right bellow the TB cuz of a hairline crack that you cant see... If your loosing boost and your car is trying to build it... prolly means you have a leak. I'd buy a boost leak tester, charge your pipes up with compressed air and use a soapy spray bottle to spray on your connections... WATCH FOR BUBBLES.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 04:29 PM   #8
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep

sorry just read your post again... forget the charge pipe hairline leak... thats just for stock pipes. Intercoolers may drop your boost a psi or so because of more volume / flow characteristics, but 3.5psi is ridiculous. If your car is requesting 16.5 then you should see that much no problem, unless you have a leak and it simply cant get there. Your little turbo will be spinning so hard and furious that it'll go out of efficiency range and kill your whole system... glad you were spraying meth cuz you were prolly heating the shit outta everything else if thats the case!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 06:06 PM   #9
Tony135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy View Post
sorry just read your post again... forget the charge pipe hairline leak... thats just for stock pipes. Intercoolers may drop your boost a psi or so because of more volume / flow characteristics, but 3.5psi is ridiculous. If your car is requesting 16.5 then you should see that much no problem, unless you have a leak and it simply cant get there. Your little turbo will be spinning so hard and furious that it'll go out of efficiency range and kill your whole system... glad you were spraying meth cuz you were prolly heating the shit outta everything else if thats the case!
Interesting. That's about what I figured. I would assume it just has to be a coupler since it's 3.5. It's probably a small leak. But the thing I'm more worried about right now is that weird kind of lag my car has. I was able to pinpoint it recently. It's in any gear, accelerating very slowly, and between 2-3k rpms. After 3k rpm's it goes away but before that it sounds like I'm pressing on and off the throttle ever so slightly.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 06:48 PM   #10
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy View Post
Interesting. That's about what I figured. I would assume it just has to be a coupler since it's 3.5. It's probably a small leak. But the thing I'm more worried about right now is that weird kind of lag my car has. I was able to pinpoint it recently. It's in any gear, accelerating very slowly, and between 2-3k rpms. After 3k rpm's it goes away but before that it sounds like I'm pressing on and off the throttle ever so slightly.
Well at this point I would just try to fix one thing at a time. Try finding that boost leak and maybe your tune will stop trying to compensate for the loss of boost etc...
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 02:28 AM   #11
Tony135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

So I did some logging today. Not the best at reading it, but theres definitely a significant boost loss. More than any FMIC could provide. Anyone who wants to take a look, PM your email and I'll send you the files. You can tell me what you think! I'll throw the car on the ramps this weekend and start working on her.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 05:48 PM   #12
Tony135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I misread it a bit. The boost leak actually seems to be SMALLER now. Almost minimal compared to what it was before and what I'm looking at may just the considered normal loss. It's actually looking great. Just want to maybe get those couplers a little tighter and we'll be in good business. However, it doesnt feel any faster? maybe it's in my head. I need to dyno it again.
Appreciate 0