Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > New Vendor for OEM style Wheels??

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

10-08-2010, 09:28 AM   #1
DrDrew
Rep
Drives: 335i AW

Question New Vendor for OEM style Wheels??

There hasn't been much traffic on this, but www.oemwheelsplus.com has some great "looking" rep wheels for stellar prices, but not much info can be found on them. They are in the same area as a few other vendors and wondering if the wheels all come of the same boat? Anyone have any experience with them?

Last edited by DrDrew; 10-08-2010 at 10:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 09:31 AM   #2
DrDrew
Rep

example:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 11:40 AM   #3
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i

I can order any OEM style youd like, drop me a line if you know what you'd like to roll on
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 12:17 PM   #4
DrDrew
Rep

Update: Just spoke to the vendor, they just openned up. Wheels are made in China and gravity cast. They said the wheels meet all specs/standards. The structural warranty is good only if you don't hit a pot hole, curb, etc... I guess that means the wheels won't fall in upon themselves in your driveway.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 07:03 PM   #5
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

Though not enforced, there are quality standards to govern the production of wheels. Some countries though, like Germany and Japan, have government regulations requiring aftermarket wheels to meet certain criteria and ensure proper fit. The United States has taken steps to establish guidelines but it will be some time before they can enact regulation of any kind. Consequently, all wheels are not made the same. The performance of an alloy wheel is a direct result of the manufacturing technique employed.

GRAVITY CASTING
Gravity casting is the most basic process of pouring molten aluminum into a mold utilizing the earth's gravity to fill the mold. Gravity casting offers a very reasonable production cost and is a good method for casting designs that are more visually oriented or when reducing weight is not a primary concern. Since the process relies on gravity to fill the mold, the aluminum is not as densely packed in the mold as some other casting processes. Often gravity cast wheels will have a higher weight to achieve the required strength.

LOW PRESSURE CASTING
Low pressure casting uses positive pressure to move the molten aluminum into the mold quicker and achieve a finished product that has improved mechanical properties (more dense) over a gravity cast wheel. Low-pressure casting has a slightly higher production cost over gravity casting. Low pressure is the most common process approved for aluminum wheels sold to the O.E.M. market. Low-pressure cast wheels offer a good value for the aftermarket as well. Some companies offer wheels that are produced under a higher pressure in special casting equipment to create a wheel that is lighter and stronger than a wheel produced in low pressure. Once again in the quest for lighter weight, there is a higher cost associated with the process.

Take into consideration also that all of the wheels that come standard from BMW straight from the factory are Low-pressure cast at a minimum. We do carry a wide variety of wheels so feel free to drop me a PM, or email me at Alan************.com if you have any questions at all!

- Alan
Appreciate 0