E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Halogen to Xenon Conversion Wiring *ERRORLESS* - Phase 1

05-21-2008, 08:36 PM   #23
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excellence View Post
Nope no errors. It errors only when you first start the car, but it disappears completely after less than one minute of driving.
Not to be a dick but you called my DIY out so Just as an FYI if you follow my DIY correctly youll end up with the same result and its even mentioned in my DIY there is only an error for 10 sec if and when u leave the on/off switch in auto position!

And if your not using the shutter wire how are your high beams working CORRECTLY!!!
      05-21-2008, 08:39 PM   #24
Excellence
G-STAR
Rep
Drives: E90 to A5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHD View Post
Not to be a dick but you called my DIY out so Just as an FYI if you follow my DIY correctly youll end up with the same result and its even mentioned in my DIY there is only an error for 10 sec if and when u leave the on/off switch in auto position!

And if your not using the shutter wire how are your high beams working CORRECTLY!!!
High Beams work perfectly fine. Members on the forum were having more than just a error for 10 seconds. Mach and I tried following your DIY and both our car's ended up with RED errors and constant dinging with an ! mark.

"A bi-xenon system typically features dynamic headlight leveling and on some vehicles direction adjustability."
Our ECU chips are not programmed for dynamic headlight leveling. So you do not need to create a shutter wire to tap to your high beams.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 08:48 PM   #25
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
Quote:
High Beams work perfectly fine. Members on the forum were having more than just a error for 10 seconds. Mach and I tried following your DIY and both our car's ended up with RED errors and constant dinging with an ! mark.

"A bi-xenon system typically features dynamic headlight leveling and on some vehicles direction adjustability."

Our ECU chips are not programmed for dynamic headlight leveling. So you do not need to create a shutter wire to tap to your high beams.
Well then You obviously did something wrong over 100 members have used my DIY and only a handful came up with the RED ERROR so its obviusly USER ERROR!!

Yes correct you DONT have to tap the wire But XENONS are apart of the High beam system and without the shutter your High beams are just a normal H7 bulb and dont produce Near as much light as they would if you connected the shutter so the xenon light and H7 light are combined!!
      05-21-2008, 08:58 PM   #26
Excellence
G-STAR
Rep

Quote:
Well then You obviously did something wrong over 100 members have used my DIY and only a handful came up with the RED ERROR so its obviusly USER ERROR!!

Yes correct you DONT have to tap the wire But XENONS are apart of the High beam system and without the shutter your High beams are just a normal H7 bulb and dont produce Near as much light as they would if you connected the shutter so the xenon light and H7 light are combined!!
Ah, I didn't notice you made some improvements on your original DIY. My apologies. I have re-word my first sentence mentioning your tutorial.

Without wiring the shutter, the headlamp is fully functional. We're happy enough.

How about Xenon + High Beam H7 and Fog light combined?

I hope all the pictures and simple steps mentioned in this thread has helped anyone who has had any problems with their Xenon to Halogen swap.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 09:04 PM   #27
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
No problem man The only thing i noticed that Is supposably differnt is that wire #1 is the angel eyes?? A member 96vette made that observation Not I, I just tried to put all of our knowledge together to create the DIY considering I was the source for alot of the euro lights and was recieving several pms on how to install them.
About your Pic? Did u get them to all work off one switch?? I personally rock HID 6000K Fogs and yes with those on there is no need for High beams
      05-21-2008, 09:11 PM   #28
Excellence
G-STAR
Rep

Quote:
No problem man The only thing i noticed that Is supposably differnt is that wire #1 is the angel eyes?? A member 96vette made that observation Not I, I just tried to put all of our knowledge together to create the DIY considering I was the source for alot of the euro lights and was recieving several pms on how to install them.
About your Pic? Did u get them to all work off one switch?? I personally rock HID 6000K Fogs and yes with those on there is no need for High beams
I didn't read your original thread, cause it was like 15 pages long..
Haha, I just some testing of my own and came up with the final report here.
Thanks for all the input and help ADHD, I pm'ed you about the Halogen to Xenon conversion long time ago and you never replied.
But without your tutorial, I don't think I would have known where to start.
Just some misunderstandings here and there, but now we .

Everything is working under one switch. All the modes on the switch are working fine. The picture you see are from Mach's car. I have 6000K Fogs, cheap ebay $70 H11 HID Kit worked fine. There is no need for high beams .
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 09:21 PM   #29
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
Quote:
I didn't read your original thread, cause it was like 15 pages long..
Haha, I just some testing of my own and came up with the final report here.
Thanks for all the input and help ADHD, I pm'ed you about the Halogen to Xenon conversion long time ago and you never replied.
But without your tutorial, I don't think I would have known where to start.
Just some misunderstandings here and there, but now we .

Everything is working under one switch. All the modes on the switch are working fine. The picture you see are from Mach's car. I have 6000K Fogs, cheap ebay $70 H11 HID Kit worked fine. There is no need for high beams .
THanks!! I had to take a state sponsored vacation for 4 months and alot of PM's went unanswered I apologize for that and to anyone else that may have tried to Pm me!!
Glad to see you got the xenons working Errors are the last things we want when driving a bmw!! How are the HID fogs working out for you any errors while driving??
      05-21-2008, 09:26 PM   #30
a l l a n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 2007 328xi

Garage List
2007 E90 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:

Hmm. I followed your DIY except for the ground to chassis (as I just spliced #2 with #4) but my high beam is just the H7 bulb and not the xenon.
: Exterior: Blacklines, debadged, HO ceramic 35% tint, Hoen yellow fogs, matte black grille, OEM style splitters, Halogen-to-Xenon Interior: Alum pedals, CF wrapped trim, V1 and Nuvi hardwire, M-Tech tri-stitched wheel, SMG M5 shift knob Performance: AluFelgen CSL 19" 8.5 ET33/9.5 ET30 with 5mm rear spacers | GY Eagle F1 Asym 235/265, KW V3, BMW Perf exhaust+intake
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 09:28 PM   #31
Excellence
G-STAR
Rep

Quote:
THanks!! I had to take a state sponsored vacation for 4 months and alot of PM's went unanswered I apologize for that and to anyone else that may have tried to Pm me!!
Glad to see you got the xenons working Errors are the last things we want when driving a bmw!! How are the HID fogs working out for you any errors while driving??
Ah, must have been one out of those 4 months I pm'ed you.

The HID fogs are fine so far. No errors, since my car didn't even have a harness to start with. The car had black covers instead of foglights. I took off the black covers and retrofitted the foglight housings.
I made my own relay box, and used a OEM BMW harness to provide power to the HID kit. The relay is being energized by the low beam, so when my xenons turn on, the fogs go on too.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 11:47 PM   #32
gdspshing
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

can this remove the error for those who installed HID kit?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 09:48 AM   #33
parachute
parachute
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Garage List
2011 335i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
I don't get it:
-you call out my parachute fix, but then you didn't fix the error yourself,

-you call out ADHDs DIY but you didn't do anything new, it's the same thing ADHD did,

-and you say you did ANGEL eyes DRL, but it's not a drl when you have a permanent power source or a switch.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I don't see anything new here

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 03:53 PM   #34
Excellence
G-STAR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by parachute View Post
I don't get it:
-you call out my parachute fix, but then you didn't fix the error yourself,

-you call out ADHDs DIY but you didn't do anything new, it's the same thing ADHD did,

-and you say you did ANGEL eyes DRL, but it's not a drl when you have a permanent power source or a switch.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I don't see anything new here
Have you noticed that is only Phase 1? I did not post this in the DIY section yet because it is not complete.
Both me and ADHD had this talk already. I didn't do an Angel Eye DRL yet, I said I have a general idea which I posted
long time ago. Also I'm helping the e90post community out. Hopefully simplifying the wiring stage, and not having to buy a $180.00 harness which can be easily made if you have any simple electrical knowledge. I did not create this thread for arguments, only to help and guide the members with detailed pictures and simple step instructions.

Updated with Bi-Xenon optional step.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 04:05 PM   #35
tinobw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: My Car

did you try on 2008 E90 yet?
      05-22-2008, 04:20 PM   #36
Excellence
G-STAR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinobw View Post
did you try on 2008 E90 yet?
Not yet, only the '06 and '07. If the '08 has halogens, then it should be generally the same.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 06:28 PM   #37
Excellence
G-STAR
Rep

Quote:
I have tried the same DIY exactly like yours about a year ago, I also have the Bi-xenon headlight. And ...nope! doesn't work! Now I got Mtech kit installed, and error free!
So what is the phase II?
You installed M-Tech kit and it gave you an error free Halogen to Xenon Conversion? Hold on, please explain what did you do?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 06:46 PM   #38
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
Quote:
I have tried the same DIY exactly like yours about a year ago, I also have the Bi-xenon headlight. And ...nope! doesn't work! Now I got Mtech kit installed, and error free!
So what is the phase II?
how does a body kit make your lights error free!!
      05-22-2008, 07:44 PM   #39
jaespark87
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 2011 128i

Quote:
not exactly sure if you're being sarcastic, but he probably means the MTEC HID kit
      05-22-2008, 08:06 PM   #40
Excellence
G-STAR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaespark87 View Post
not exactly sure if you're being sarcastic, but he probably means the MTEC HID kit
If thats the case, then thats good to know.
However, I am aiming to use D1S and OEM Ballast to make it errorless.

The only reason why the car errors at the beginning is because that the Xenon draws only 35W, where the halogen bulbs drew 55W. The computer is programed to be 55W, so if there is only 35W drawing, the computer will think a bulb has burnt.

Phase 2 will include, 2 resistors that will be used as a load to balance the system back to 55W, thus giving an completely ERRORLESS Halogen to Xenon swap.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 10:50 PM   #41
Excellence
G-STAR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincmo View Post
Excellence, AMAZING work....I'm following this thread carefully as i'd like to do the same conversion.

My understanding is that you own the 323i like me. My question is: In your conversion, can you use the euro bi-xenon (are they drawing the same power as the us xenons?) also, can you install HID fog lights? I was thinking of getting the HID kit from Bimmian....

Thanks and keep us updated!
Thank you !

Euro Xenon and USA Xenon draws the same amount of current. They all use the same voltage. It is 100% completely the same. The only difference is the headlamp housing.

Yes I can install HID foglights on the 323i. I will post a tutorial on how to do that soon.

Last edited by Excellence; 05-27-2008 at 11:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 11:54 PM   #42
tinobw
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
just a small typo! no need to be like that genius!!!
      05-23-2008, 12:01 AM   #43
tinobw
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You installed M-Tech kit and it gave you an error free Halogen to Xenon Conversion? Hold on, please explain what did you do?
apologized!!!! MTEC HID KIT, not Mtech!
thats what I figured for phase 2. It needs something to tell the computer its 55w. With "HID kit" use the relay module to make the computer read 55w.
      05-23-2008, 12:28 AM   #44
Excellence
G-STAR
Rep

Quote:
apologized!!!! MTEC HID KIT, not Mtech!
thats what I figured for phase 2. It needs something to tell the computer its 55w. With "HID kit" use the relay module to make the computer read 55w.
You don't need a relay. All you need is a resistor to load the circuit so your drawing 55W.
For HID fogs you will. When I have phase 2 done, I shall post results.
So far still error-less, after driving 30 seconds.
Appreciate 0