E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > [DIY] Auto Dimming Mirror, RLS, Automatic Headlights switch Combo Retrofit

11-06-2023, 03:39 PM   #1
kolopn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 325i N52B25

[DIY] Auto Dimming Mirror, RLS, Automatic Headlights switch Combo Retrofit

Hello everyone!

In this topic I want to explain how to retrofit rain sensor and automatic headlights function and also autodialing mirror. My example will be based on my E92, but everything except for SZL configuration will be the same.

Parts needed:

- RLS/Autolights sensor with prism (I bought used one with prism already fitted),
- Automatic Headlight switch,
- Glue for prism (I bought it from auto glass shop),
- RLS socket - 4 pins (OE 61132359994), but simmilar socket with only 3 pins can be fitted,
- approx. 2 meters of 0.35mm2 cable, connector with cable 61130056960 can be bought from dealer,
- Bigger rear view mirror cover OE 51167076129,
- Rear view mirror with auto dimming function (I bought one with DWA (alarm) integrated OE 8236774)
- Rear view mirror socket (OE 69090009)
- If you are making wiring from scratch also 20x 61131383776 pins,
- PC with Inpa or Ista, NCSExpert,

SZL - Steering Switch Module - To achieve green LED indicator with automatic switch you will have find completely new SZL unit that is equipped with this function. Otherwise, with use of old SZL module, everything will operate correctly but there will be no LED light, thus you will not know when automatic wiper function is on.

NOTE: Before any work, disconnect the battery.

Autodimming mirror retrofit:

Wiring to prepare (best way is to buy mirror with socket, where someone just cut the cables, so there will be no issue with mismatching colors of cables): Auto dimming mirror is operated with 7 cables, so you have to prepare approx. 7 cables with 40cm wiring with connectors fitted, and put that together in the socket for auto dimming function.

PINOUT for mirror connector X14292 and FZD Module connector (X14288 - second from the right with 20 pins) (I will name here pins „MPin” - M for mirror side, and „FPin” - F for FZD module side):

MPIN 1 - GrayViolet - FPIN14
MPIN 3 - GreenWhite - FPIN20
MPIN 4 - BlackBrown - FPIN15
MPIN 5 - BrownWhite - FPIN16
MPIN 8 - RedViolet - FPIN 19
MPIN 9 - GreyBlack - FPIN 13
MPIN 10 - BlackBrown - This is ground, originally connected to the X10012, I just found any cable that was grounded and make connection there (for example Pin 7 in the X14288 FZD socket is ground for RLS sensor)

1. Take out your FZD module (so that module in the roof with interior lights),
2. Take out your rear view mirror - Just rotate it by 45 degrees to the right, and take it out,
3. Install new mirror with new wiring in place,
4. Put new connectors into X14288 socket in the FZD module, and everything is done!
5. It should start to operate without any coding.

RLS and Automatic lights retrofit:

There is only one trick here: windshield without sensor does not have cutout for RLS sensor. This black spot where mirror is attached is just smaller. I didn’t want to replace windshield so I bought black wrap, and make cutout by myself, using new bigger mirror cover.

Wiring to prepare: Similar story to mirror one, but there are only 3 wires to connect (RPIN - R for RLS):
We are connecting RLS sensor to the same socket as before X14288.

RPIN 1 - RedBrown - FPIN 8
RPIN 2 - Brown - FPIN 7
RPIN 3 - WhiteBrown - FPIN 6

That’s it from electrical side.

Now:
1. After removing rear view mirror, put the black wrap on the windshield (use mirror cover for place reference),
2. Glue the prism into the windshield,
3. Attach the RLS sensor,
4. Put wires together,
5. Replace headlights switch to auto one,
6. Replace SZL switch to auto one (steering angle sensor should be realigned)
7. With NCSExpert put the $521 in FA for FZD, NFRM - With that we can also code this module,
8. Perform sensor initialization with INPA or ISTA.

That’s it! Everything should be operating normally. Cheap modifications, with only free time required and little handy skills. I do love the auto dimming mirror function, as I am frequently traveling long distances. If there are any questions, feel free to ask!

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 04:19 PM   #2
bnk
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 E91

Hello,

first of all, great guide, thanks!

I bought autodimming mirror with cables, that someone cut. This mirror has also camera for auto high beam lights. The connector X14292 is a bit different than yours, I'm missing two cables:

MPIN 8 - RedViolet - FPIN 19
MPIN 9 - GreyBlack - FPIN 13

It has 5 cables on pins 1, 3, 4, 5 and 10. All the colors are the same as you described.

Additionaly there are 3 more connectors, one is for RLS, but 2 other ones, I'm not sure.

One 3-pin connector with 2 cables: orange-gray and green.
One 4-pin connector with 3 cables: black-brown, blue-gray and green-yellow.

Do you know what these might be for?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 04:33 PM   #3
kolopn
Enlisted Member
Rep

Two missing pins probably are for DWA (Alarm) function. If you do not have big transparent bulb underneath the mirror - that's it.

Two additional sockets will be - one with two cables for FLA - Auto high beams function - CAN cables, are twisted together, second one will be for fog sensor.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 01:21 PM   #4
bnk
Registered
Rep

Thanks, do you know where to connect the high beams cables in FZD?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 03:26 PM   #5
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

There are no “high beam cables”.

The FSD signals the other modules via CAN bus.

The SZL gets it’s input via LIN-bus.

There is another thread here about upgrading your mirrors that has the wiring diagrams and instructions about auto-high beams and the rain sensor that details all of this.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 08:15 AM   #6
kolopn
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
Thanks, do you know where to connect the high beams cables in FZD?
So high beam assistant (FLA) is operated by CAN, you have two cables:
- Orange/Green - Can High
- Green - Can Low

What service instruction says, you will have to pass those CAN cables to X15001, X15002, this is located under passenger glovebox.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2023, 06:38 AM   #7
bnk
Registered
Rep

Hello there,

I've put everything together, FLA is detected in ISTA, auto dimming works, but RLS is not detected in ISTA, also when trying to code it with NCS Expert, I've got an error attached.

All the wiring has been checked, it's fine.
I've tested 2 different RLS modules, still the same.
Fuses are fine, but maybe there are some that I need to add?
F7 and F62 are in place, both are good, I've added F25.
This E90 2011, so only these 3 fuses are connected to FZD.

What I've checked is that there is no voltage on the pins at RLS.

Any ideas, what could be wrong?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2023, 11:28 AM   #8
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1762384
Appreciate 0