E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Got a call from BMWNA, oil cooler retrofit!

04-13-2007, 10:57 PM   #23
daveyg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90

Garage List
07 335i sedan  [0.00]
2006 e90  [0.00]
mine has a oil cooler and still runs at 260-270
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2007, 12:02 AM   #24
DrewKo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i Montego Blue Saddle Brown

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shnapper View Post
In my gods honest opinion drew, I don't think they are planning to actually put the cooler in until someone blows a motor. What this Doc does basically shuts people up in hopes they get the cooler after signing. Nothing I mean nothing in the form guarantees the cooler, it's only a release form of liability stating the signer agrees not to talk about the subject and even mentions the internet in writing. It a rather scary deal for the little guy that just wants the cooler. S h i t like this doesn't only happen in movies folks it's happening right now with this car and BMW's corporate attorneys.......
Well that is total b.s. and I agree I would not sign it until the installation is completed and testing after many miles. I might not sign even then. the warranty is going to cover any problems with that and if BMW contends it does not cover a new cooler that should have been there initially then I would require a new warranty expressly covering it. I would not release liability against warranty claims pertaining to the new piece and if that document purports to do that, then I could not sign it.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2007, 12:18 AM   #25
shnapper
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewKo View Post
Well that is total b.s. and I agree I would not sign it until the installation is completed and testing after many miles. I might not sign even then. the warranty is going to cover any problems with that and if BMW contends it does not cover a new cooler that should have been there initially then I would require a new warranty expressly covering it. I would not release liability against warranty claims pertaining to the new piece and if that document purports to do that, then I could not sign it.

Ok drew I think your missing what BMW is doing, I will try to explain since you haven't seen the form I assume. This has nothing to do with warranty or problems the car may have. This form is to stop the talk about the subject because BMW doesn't want this getting out to the masses that don't hit net forums for advice etc...Cliff notes: you sign you shut up you will get the cooler as a gesture of goodwill on BMW's part (a favor so to speak). BMW's goal is most likely to supply the cooler ONLY TO THOSE COMPLAINING and don't want those that don't know as of yet they don't have the cooler not to know at all. Does that make sense? This is a HUSH HUSH form to limit the cooler to only those that are complaining about it they hope. They must figure once the talking stops the problem will be taken care of. They are obviously trying to avoid a public recall and want this form signed and in a hurry...........Like I said this is very scary I know BMW has pride and are obviously not willing to swallow it, but to have a form like this to sign is call for legal counsel. I don't want to sue no one I'm not into that kind of thing, but I can't sign this form without protecting my rights as a consumer..........
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2007, 12:26 AM   #26
DrewKo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Right, i understand what you are saying..., but i would need to review the document because if it has the typical lawyer language and starts down the path of you will not sue, etc., or we will sue you if you talk about the subject, you would be surprised how broad that language reaches or might reach; it would not surprise me if it includes language attempting to waive rights or claims.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2007, 06:45 AM   #27
335I talian Stallion NJ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4 3.0I

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewKo View Post
Right, i understand what you are saying..., but i would need to review the document because if it has the typical lawyer language and starts down the path of you will not sue, etc., or we will sue you if you talk about the subject, you would be surprised how broad that language reaches or might reach; it would not surprise me if it includes language attempting to waive rights or claims.
I'm going to have my lawyer look at this form.. This is insane, I feel threatened. Someone should contact the local media/ TV News/ auto mags about this issue. Maybe I'll write a letter to motor trend.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2007, 08:16 AM   #28
AM335
Go Gators!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2007 335i E90  [0.00]
It's amazing that BMW would risk all the bad publicity and ill-will with its current and future customers over an oil cooler; that by there own admission should have been on the car to start.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2007, 09:20 AM   #29
BzzzBom
Major
Rep
Drives: 05 R53 MINI / 09 335i Coupe

legal mumbo jumbo - sign the fuckin form - get the cooler - move on - who gives two shits.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2007, 09:49 AM   #30
Coder335i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 - MB 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary328xi View Post
Does this include the steptronic WITHOUT the sports package?
I was told by the dealership manager that there are certain that the steptronic w/sport has the oil cooler but they are not sure yet about the non-sport. I will try to get an answer today.
      04-14-2007, 10:00 AM   #31
shnapper
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzzzBom View Post
legal mumbo jumbo - sign the fuckin form - get the cooler - move on - who gives two shits.

I wish it was that easy Bzzzbom, but they are not making it that easy. I agree with you 100% and that's what I want to do is just sign and get it over with, but it's not that easy.......
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2007, 11:44 AM   #32
radgator1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverState View Post
HYPOTHETICALLY (without confirming or denying the existence of such an agreement), if a car company produced a car without a piece of needed equipment, and if that car company later discovered that the equipment was needed, and if that car company was offering to equip (at the car company's expense) the cars produced without the equipment, then what's the problem?

Obviously, the car company would be taking a financial loss by doing it. In return, the car company would probably want two things. One, if the problem is cured, then the car owner cannot sue (class action or lemon law) for the problem that was cured. Two, the car owner could not keep badmouthing the car company about a problem that was cured.

Makes sense to me, especially if a written document is provided from the car company promising to cure the problem.

Some people are never happy and just need to complain.

+1

Not sure what all the hate is about. It really is that simple. To suggest that BMW is going to send out a bunch of forms stating they are going to give you a retrofit Oil cooler when they really have no intention of actually giving you one is down right pananoid if you ask me.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2007, 03:16 PM   #33
shnapper
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radgator1 View Post
+1

Not sure what all the hate is about. It really is that simple. To suggest that BMW is going to send out a bunch of forms stating they are going to give you a retrofit Oil cooler when they really have no intention of actually giving you one is down right pananoid if you ask me.

You need to read the form and show me where it states in writing ANYTHING ABOUT A COOLER!...............
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2007, 03:20 PM   #34
shnapper
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverState View Post
HYPOTHETICALLY (without confirming or denying the existence of such an agreement), if a car company produced a car without a piece of needed equipment, and if that car company later discovered that the equipment was needed, and if that car company was offering to equip (at the car company's expense) the cars produced without the equipment, then what's the problem?

Obviously, the car company would be taking a financial loss by doing it. In return, the car company would probably want two things. One, if the problem is cured, then the car owner cannot sue (class action or lemon law) for the problem that was cured. Two, the car owner could not keep badmouthing the car company about a problem that was cured.

Makes sense to me, especially if a written document is provided from the car company promising to cure the problem.

Some people are never happy and just need to complain.

Silver state you signed it didn't you lol, you must have. Show me on the form where it promises to cure anything except freedom of speech!! LMAO!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2007, 03:53 PM   #35
Fester
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Porsche 911 (991) 4S

wow- you guys have made me worried! I am going to demand for it. My car ran pretty hot a couple of times and with hotter TX weather coming our way, who knows what happens???
      04-14-2007, 03:54 PM   #36
kingjod123
Installing an Air Cooler
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan Black Sapphire

who has received the letter? Would love to see it.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2007, 04:08 PM   #37
335I talian Stallion NJ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4 3.0I

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjod123 View Post
who has received the letter? Would love to see it.
i have one but the copy is bad, ill try and scan it
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2007, 04:14 PM   #38
Lost Horizon
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 435 MPPK+1970 XKE OTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335I talian Stallion NJ View Post
i have one but the copy is bad, ill try and scan it
Boost the contrast to max... that will help..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2007, 10:16 AM   #39
iwanta335
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary328xi View Post
Does this include the steptronic WITHOUT the sports package?
It does not-- I just picked up my March build e90 step without sports-- no cooler. Sport or non-sport, supposed to have or not supposed to have means nothing to me-- if my car runs consistently at less than 260 degrees then there is no problem. If I hit 260 or more on a regular basis then we have a problem and I will demand the cooler, just like anyone with sport.

FWIW-- On first day after the car was warmed up and some spirited, not excessive driving, the car stayed at about 242 degree and went up to 248 degree at the hottest, at low 70's outside temps Hopefully it stays there and thus no problems.

Just my opinion, but as far as this issue goes everyone should just look at facts of how hot your car runs-- anything more than 260 on a regular basis should be the only starting point for discussion on retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2007, 03:50 PM   #40
ilmor
ilmor
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

If someone could post of pic of what this oil cooler looks like on the car, it might be helpful...so we can look for it in the future...
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2007, 03:55 PM   #41
gary328xi
JetInsp
Rep
Drives: 07 328 XI & 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanta335 View Post
It does not-- I just picked up my March build e90 step without sports-- no cooler. Sport or non-sport, supposed to have or not supposed to have means nothing to me-- if my car runs consistently at less than 260 degrees then there is no problem. If I hit 260 or more on a regular basis then we have a problem and I will demand the cooler, just like anyone with sport.

FWIW-- On first day after the car was warmed up and some spirited, not excessive driving, the car stayed at about 242 degree and went up to 248 degree at the hottest, at low 70's outside temps Hopefully it stays there and thus no problems.

Just my opinion, but as far as this issue goes everyone should just look at facts of how hot your car runs-- anything more than 260 on a regular basis should be the only starting point for discussion on retrofit.
Thanks
I upgraded to the sports package.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2007, 04:07 PM   #42
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

Interesting info here. I am going to call the guy I've been speaking with at BMW Canada and mention this. I'm not signing any form that makes me unable to speak about an issue with my car just to get a piece of equipment installed that should be there in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2007, 05:29 PM   #43
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

where the hell is this document that you guys are signing?

i saw my 335 at the dealer and have the oil cooler on my step with zsp... just curious what you guys are signing.
________
BIG BROTHER FORUM

Last edited by purplewidow; 03-29-2011 at 08:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2007, 05:34 PM   #44
DrewKo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
SOMEBODY scan this document and post it--just remove your name so BMW doesn't know who. This is really impt.
Appreciate 0