E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Add A2DP Stereo Bluetooth to E90 via AUX Port

06-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #89
GetSomeE92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92

Just ordered the new Blackberry Music Gateway today (6/4/2012). I'll post an update once I receive it and get it installed. Hope the sound quality is good.

EDIT: Order still hasn't shipped and has an "Inventory Hold" notation. Called and was told they are waiting for a shipment but have no ETA on it. So begins the waiting game. (6/6/2012)

EDIT 2: Status changed to shipped today (6/7/2012).

Last edited by GetSomeE92; 06-07-2012 at 04:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 08:47 AM   #90
Baypistolman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Does anyone know if the new Blackberry Music Gateway will sync automatically? I just got the Belkin Bluetooth car adapter and it is a pain to have to sync it manually through my settings every time i get into the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #91
mcrazyrider
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3

Garage List
08 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSomeE92 View Post
Just ordered the new Blackberry Music Gateway today (6/4/2012). I'll post an update once I receive it and get it installed. Hope the sound quality is good.

EDIT: Order still hasn't shipped and has an "Inventory Hold" notation. Called and was told they are waiting for a shipment but have no ETA on it. So begins the waiting game. (6/6/2012)

I have the bb gateway installed in my car no issues, quality sound is good
      06-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #92
mcrazyrider
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3

Garage List
08 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baypistolman View Post
Does anyone know if the new Blackberry Music Gateway will sync automatically? I just got the Belkin Bluetooth car adapter and it is a pain to have to sync it manually through my settings every time i get into the car.
Once you pair it with your phone itouch or ipad it will automatically sinc anytime you start up the car. The only thing i noticed is that once in a while when i start up the car the bbgateway switch to pair mode showing the red and blue light, all you need to do is turn. It off and then back on and will sinc with your device again.
      06-14-2012, 10:02 PM   #93
Sample
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i/G05 X5 xDrive40i

I just installed the new 2012 blackberry music gateway and it works well. You will have to turn up the volume on your stereo, since it plays low in comparison to AM/FM or the 6FL ipod connection. It doesn't sound as good as the 6FL ipod connection, but that's to be expected when using bluetooth. I am experiencing a hum/buzz with the volume up, but I'm hoping the addition of a ground loop filter will solve it. However, it sounds much better than the Soundfly BT I returned a few weeks ago. It's small so you have mounting options. Once you pair it with your phone, your phone should automatically connect once power it provided to the gateway via the micro usb cable. Compared to the old blackberry gateway I think the only differences are smaller size, micro usb, and the addition of NFC.

Last edited by Sample; 06-15-2012 at 06:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #94
SpunkyXL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSomeE92 View Post

UPDATE? How is it? Worth upgrading from the older one?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #95
GetSomeE92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpunkyXL View Post
UPDATE? How is it? Worth upgrading from the older one?
Works great. Connects automatically after you've paired it. Never had the older one so I can't speak to whether it is worth getting if you already have the older version. However, they both do the same thing so I doubt it is worth it.

My only complaint is that the sound seems to be cleaner when I have it hooked up to my home theater system via the 3.5mm to RCA cable than it does using the 3.5mm to 3.5mm AUX jack in the car. Not sure what to make of that, though.

In any event, I'm happy I got it and will continue to use it. Much cheaper alternative than the Combox retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 12:29 PM   #96
OrangeInOhio
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by triguis View Post
yes you will have to pair it with you device first then every time you get in the car it automaticly connects so all you have to do is hit the play button and then viola. Very straight forward. I'll get some pictures latter of my install so you can see how it looks.
here are some pictures of what it looks like.
Attachment 653609Attachment 653610
Here you can see how I tucked the cable under so it looks cleanAttachment 653611
That looks great. I just bought a 2008 328i. I have the same adapter that I removed from my previous car before selling it and I might do the same thing you did. Do you have a picture of where you wired it into your cigarette lighter? Also, do you know if wiring the JVC adapter to take USB power would work?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 07:57 AM   #97
cethegus
Registered
Germany
Rep
Drives: E90 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeInOhio View Post
Also, do you know if wiring the JVC adapter to take USB power would work?
I don't think the JVC adapter is going to work on USB since USB only provides 5V and the adapter needs 12V.

This is how I hooked up my wiring to the car:

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 12:07 AM   #98
///Mik3
gonna miss the M, but the wagon is sweet!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i Wagon

Garage List
i'm currently working on a solution for my car and am just waiting on the parts to arrive. Should get them early/mid next week, so i'll explain my set up with pics when i do.
      06-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #99
OrangeInOhio
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Garage List
You rock, thanks for the pics!
      07-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #100
Jeffcharger
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60, F10 (535i)

Does anyone know where to get the blackberry gateway? The lowest I've found is $70+ shipping.

Also, there is a recently announced Blackberry music gateway that can be found at http://ca.shopblackb...y/ACC-41596-001

I am hoping that someone who knows the technical aspects of this can advise me as to whether this is a better "newer" device....
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 03:39 PM   #101
Gugs
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 JetBlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffcharger View Post
Does anyone know where to get the blackberry gateway? The lowest I've found is $70+ shipping.

Also, there is a recently announced Blackberry music gateway that can be found at http://ca.shopblackb...y/ACC-41596-001

I am hoping that someone who knows the technical aspects of this can advise me as to whether this is a better "newer" device....
u can just read next time. the thread, the internet, google..

http://store.shopblackberry.com/Prod.../ACC-41596-001
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #102
Jeffcharger
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gugs View Post
u can just read next time. the thread, the internet, google..

http://store.shopblackberry.com/Prod.../ACC-41596-001
Well, gee thanks.... You're a big help!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 05:56 PM   #103
Gugs
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffcharger View Post
Well, gee thanks.... You're a big help!
LOL I realized the issue after... everyone lists the old one at the higher price...
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 06:47 PM   #104
Jeffcharger
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gugs View Post
LOL I realized the issue after... everyone lists the old one at the higher price...
Sorry, my response was a bit terse.

It looks like the old version is $70 and the new one is $50. The new one only appears to be available from BB. I am hoping that the new version retains the functionality of the old one and doesnt screw it up!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #105
Gugs
Banned
United_States
Rep

I think the new revision Is just that, a smaller version of the same product cheaper. I see no difference.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #106
itlynstalyn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

Just ordered the Miccus Blubridge, will give a review once I get it.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 08:45 AM   #107
geko29
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

Installed the Blackberry Music Gateway on Friday, very happy with it. Sound Quality is great (given the limitations of the atrocious base stereo)--substantially better than running the headphone out of my iPhone into the aux in.

Works great too--my phone pairs with both it and the head unit when the car starts. I can play music immediately, and incoming calls pause playback and allow me to answer, then resume seamlessly when the call completes.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 09:16 AM   #108
Jeffcharger
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

FYI... my impressions...

1) I bought and installed the Blackberry Music Gateway and was disappointed in the quality of the sound. It was certainly not up to the quality of the direct connection from an iphone 4s. The pros for it were good though; it connected/paired on it's own every time the car was turned on; It allowed phone calls to be handled directly by the car's bluetooth (which I preferred since it used the full speaker setup), and the voice commands for the car all worked seemlessly so it didn't disturb this in the car. Using my iphone's button, I can still use the "voice texting" of the iphone through the car's audio system (i.e. no involvement with the Blackberry unit - which is the way I prefer). HOWEVER, after living with it for a couple of weeks, I found the audio quality just not good enough. I returned it.

2) I bought the Belkin unit, and the music quality is much better. It's hard to tell the difference between the bluetooth connection and the wired connection. I've kept this unit due to the sound quality. There are a couple of Cons on the Belkin unit though. It doesn't pair automatically with the car being turned on. This hasn't bothered me, since it's a simple press of the button to pair it. The handling of voice commands in the car are indepedent - which is good. The volume on the head unit needs to be turned up higher through the Aux connection than through the normal radio/CD etc. This can cause some volume problems when switching. The only real problem I have with the Belkin unit is that when paired, it takes over from the iphone's voice control. If you use the Belkin "button" to command the iphone, it plays at a really high volume and is really distorted. It's really made the Belkin un-useable for "voice texting". My workaround, (and it's worked well now that I've become accustomed to it) is to "disconnect" the Belkin unit (by pressing it for a few seconds) and revert back to the normal car's operation with the iphone. After I'm done, I just power the Belkin unit back on by pressing it, and it's back to playing music nicely again. One added bonus of the Belkin unit that wasn't on the BB unit, is that when paired, it presents you with a "bing" through the car's audio when you receive messages or emails on the iphone. The BB unit didn't take over these connections when paired, so you could only hear them through the iphone speakers themselves.

Overall, the Belkin unit's my preferred approach due to the music quality. The BB unit had better integration features than the Belkin, but just didn't cut it on audio quality.

Last edited by Jeffcharger; 09-10-2012 at 09:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #109
EastBayE90
Formerly (-(ellblazer420
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i M/T, 15 F80 M3 DCT

Garage List
Just wondering if any of you have tried this one out?
http://store.griffintechnology.com/iphone/bluetrip-aux

I read this thread and did not see it mentioned. It looks like it is exactly what we would need and looks much cleaner than the Blackberry Music Gateway and the Belkin unit.

My only concern is audio quality.

On the site it says that it auto pairs when the car is powered on. I think I may try out this one if no one else has any feedback.

(410whp 445ft/lbs | DCI + Meth Only)
OpenFlash OTS Stage 1 Flash | Vishnu PWM Meth Kit | Vishnu DCI| Forge DVs
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 06:19 PM   #110
Jeffcharger
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

The blackberry unit was really slick. I couldn't think of it being any slicker....the problem for me was the audio quality. I can't remember specifically, but I had seen this unit (the Giffen) and something turned me off of it.

In my mind, there's 2 key aspects that need to be handled. The first is the audio quality. I quite frankly found reports for the blackberry unit where people said the quality was great. I found this to be untrue when I bought 2 units. (which BB graciously refunded without issue). The second is the integration with the BMWs integral handsfree handling. The car does this wonderfully by itself. The belkin unit isn't as good as the BB unit. I don't have any info on the Griffen unit on either of these, but the write up seems to indicate that you have to hit a button to handle phone calls. The Belkin has this problem too, although its easily within reach depending on where it's mounted. This may not be as easy with the Giffen unit since it needs to plug into the cigarette lighter.
Appreciate 0