E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Traffic stopped for license cover...WHAT?!

07-31-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
techietaichi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Pre-LCI & 2010 X3

Traffic stopped for license cover...WHAT?!

Ok, so I'm bouncing off to work around 8:30PM and have been doing so for over 3 years now. I was actually being a good boy that night and wasn't getting too cozy with my accelerator, only going about 70(speed limit's 65) when suddenly "whoop, whoop", damnit a trooper! Shit. The officer walks over, flashlight all in my face, knee against my door, hand conveniently placed between his buckle and sidearm as he's leaning towards me, "How you doin' sir, know why I stopped you?". "Officer, I have no idea and was just about to ask you that", I responded. "License plate" he said. "License plate? What's wrong with it. Damn, did it fall off?!". "Nope. License plate cover, can't see your license plate". "What do you mean? I can see them just fine", I retorted. "Nope, I have to see them from 60 feet away. What you have is illegal". "Illegal? But I just bought them at Auto Zone. If they're illegal to have, why isn't it illegal to sell?". "I don't make the laws sir", he said.

Anyways, I ended up not getting a ticket and he asked me to be sure to remove them when I got a chance. I've yet to do so. I live in Massachusetts and I have a lot of problems with this state. From politics, to taxation, to welfare, to my guns. I mother%&$#'n hate this state and can't wait to head north to NH. This incident just added fuel to the fire. Stopped for a silly ass license plate cover, really? Never mind all the degenerates running about wreaking havoc and being a complete blight on society, let me stop this guy. Who else or what other states suffer this kind of ridiculous bs? Next thing they're going to tell me is a lowered vehicle's illegal or my wheels are too big. Sorry guys, I'm not trying to be a crybaby, but shit like this gets on my damn nerves. Can we all get a little something in return for the huge amount of taxes we pay?!
      07-31-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
YGazis109
Yiannis Gazis
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by techietaichi
Ok, so I'm bouncing off to work around 8:30PM and have been doing so for over 3 years now. I was actually being a good boy that night and wasn't getting too cozy with my accelerator, only going about 70(speed limit's 65) when suddenly "whoop, whoop", damnit a trooper! Shit. The officer walks over, flashlight all in my face, knee against my door, hand conveniently placed between his buckle and sidearm as he's leaning towards me, "How you doin' sir, know why I stopped you?". "Officer, I have no idea and was just about to ask you that", I responded. "License plate" he said. "License plate? What's wrong with it. Damn, did it fall off?!". "Nope. License plate cover, can't see your license plate". "What do you mean? I can see them just fine", I retorted. "Nope, I have to see them from 60 feet away. What you have is illegal". "Illegal? But I just bought them at Auto Zone. If they're illegal to have, why isn't it illegal to sell?". "I don't make the laws sir", he said.

Anyways, I ended up not getting a ticket and he asked me to be sure to remove them when I got a chance. I've yet to do so. I live in Massachusetts and I have a lot of problems with this state. From politics, to taxation, to welfare, to my guns. I mother%&$#'n hate this state and can't wait to head north to NH. This incident just added fuel to the fire. Stopped for a silly ass license plate cover, really? Never mind all the degenerates running about wreaking havoc and being a complete blight on society, let me stop this guy. Who else or what other states suffer this kind of ridiculous bs. Next thing they're going to tell me is a lowered vehicle's illegal or my wheels are too big. Sorry guys, I'm not trying to be a crybaby, but shit like this gets on my damn nerves. Can we all get a little something in return for the huge amount of taxes we pay?!
Wow never heard of that crazy...
1st Bimmer - 2007 328xi | SGM | e90 | Premium | Navi | Gloss black trim | Cold | AA headers | 3 stage intake manifold | AA stage 3 tune | AFE stage 2 intake | Cyba Scoops | OEM Blacklines | OEM LCI mtech front bumper | OEM LCI hood | OEM gloss black kidney grills | Orion v4 LED halos with blackout headlights | Valentine 1 Radar | Sport wheel with paddles | kw v1 coilovers | VMR 710 | Continental ExtremeContact DW |
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 06:14 PM   #3
NormE91
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Touring

Wow, did it cover your sticker? That's the only thing I could see that would be objectionable.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 06:19 PM   #4
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

In VA, any kind of cover is illegal, period. 'Cause we're cool like that.

They still sell 'em tho... as long as there's a demand there'll be a supply.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 06:20 PM   #5
critical05
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi 6 spd

In iowa, basically all license plate covers are illegal. Its kinda up to the cop to enforce it as I see a lot of them still. I found out a long time ago, the cop was nice enough to just give me a warning instead.

I think the covers say for "off road use" and that's their out
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 06:24 PM   #6
pspressart
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Down here in S. Florida, most covers are put on to try to confuse the red light cameras. 'nuff said.
Appreciate 1
      07-31-2013, 06:24 PM   #7
lablueboy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I got a fix-it ticket in CA for that, just an inconvenience, had to pay a tiny fine, you also need a police officer to verify that you actually remove it..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 06:26 PM   #8
E91 Hoarder
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E91 AWD, E91 RWD, E90, X535i

My friend has had one for over 5 years and never got a problem with it. I''ve been thinking about getting one, but just found this law:

The vehicle license number plates shall be attached conspicuously at the front and rear of each vehicle for which the same are issued and in such a manner that they can be plainly seen and read at all times. However, if only one license number plate is legally issued for any vehicle such plate shall be conspicuously attached to the rear of such vehicle. Each vehicle license number plate shall be placed or hung in a horizontal position at a distance of not more than four feet from the ground and shall be kept clean so as to be plainly seen and read at all times. In cases where the body construction of the vehicle is such that compliance with this section is impossible, permission to deviate therefrom may be granted by the state patrol. It shall be unlawful to display upon the front or rear of any vehicle, vehicle license number plate or plates other than those furnished by the director for such vehicle or to display upon any vehicle any vehicle license number plate or plates which have been in any manner changed, altered, disfigured or have become illegible. License plate frames may be used on vehicle license number plates only if the frames do not obscure license tabs or identifying letters or numbers on the plates and the plates can be plainly seen and read at all times. It is unlawful to use any holders, frames, or any materials that in any manner change, alter, or make the vehicle license number plates illegible. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate any vehicle unless there shall be displayed thereon valid vehicle license number plates attached as herein provided.

Basically, yes covers are illegal in WA

BTW, nice wheels. What kind are they?

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 06:32 PM   #9
Thrakos
Audaces fortuna juvat
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black E90 328xi

Quote:
2.23:
Display of Reflectorized License Plates
(1)
On or after August 1, 1969, no reflectorized number plate issued by the Registrar of Motor
Vehicles and mounted on any motor vehicle or trailer shall be covered with any glass, plastic or
similar material if such material reduces the legibility or substantially diminishes the reflective
qualities of such plate.
(2)
Any such number plate covered with any glass, plastic or similar material which reduces the
legibility or substantially diminished the reflective qualities of such plate shall be deemed not
to be maintained in good order, and in violation of the provision of said M.G.L. c. 90.
(3)
Nothing contained in 540 CMR 2.00 shall be construed to prohibit the use of any metal or
other frame covering, the border of any such reflectorized number plate so long as such frame
does not cover or obscure in any manner the register number or any other words, symbols or
numbers lawfully imprinted on or affixed to such number plate.
Source: http://www.lawlib.state.ma.us/source...xt/540CMR2.pdf
It doesn't say anything about "60 feet" in there - how dark is your plate? If it's not too dark and you can see it from a few car lengths back, it might be worth taking to court...
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 07:22 PM   #10
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

That cop must of been having a slow day today.

Sucks though OP. Glad he didn't give you a ticket for going 5mph over the speed limit.
JBD @ 100% | KW ST Coilovers | M3 rep. front bumper | 888Concepts AE Upgrade | GP Thunder 7500k fogs | Cyba 4" carbon tips | BSW Stage 1 | APEX ARC-8 W/ Michelin PSS | Ziza LED interior | Weisslicht LED side lenses | Sprint Booster | Euro side mirrors | M-Sport semi-conversion | Coded | LOTS of carbon fiber
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 08:50 PM   #11
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

In NY, it's illegal to cover the name of the state.

But, more importantly - why would a person want to ruin the look of their car with a frame, especially one that is an ad for a car dealer?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 09:07 PM   #12
tmdals0213
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by techietaichi View Post
Next thing they're going to tell me is a lowered vehicle's illegal or my wheels are too big.
isn't any modification to a car "technically" illegal. like for instance, getting bigger wheels or a different exhaust that is not factory installed. BUT since a good amount of drivers do have some small mods done, like wheels and exhausts, SOME LEOs don't care..?

not quoting anything, although i should, but just my knowledge from past experiences/reading something.
      07-31-2013, 09:12 PM   #13
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

I used to get stopped in DE all of the time. Mine was tinted, but apparently ALL covers were illegal. One officer finally made me take it off right then and there. He even had a screwdriver handy for me. Such a nice guy!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 09:13 PM   #14
tmdals0213
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWTF? View Post

BTW, nice wheels. What kind are they?
they look like alpina wheels to me, dont you think? looks super luxurious on the 3
      07-31-2013, 09:34 PM   #15
thenewrick
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 335i Black Sapphire

I think those tinted license plate covers are really annoying and shouldn't be allowed. Should post pics of yours so we can judge. Sounds like you should have just gotten a warning to fix it though.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 09:46 PM   #16
F-16 CHIEF
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8N View Post
In VA, any kind of cover is illegal, period. 'Cause we're cool like that.

They still sell 'em tho... as long as there's a demand there'll be a supply.
Yep, any tinted one especially. Me, I just said F it and refuse to run a front tag. No tickets yet!
      07-31-2013, 10:31 PM   #17
wynnnj1977
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 Jet Bl/Bl, 330xi, 6MT

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
It happened with me once. It was with dealer plate frame!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 10:52 PM   #18
ny325
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E90

Illegal in N.J
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 11:04 PM   #19
Titanium3er
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i, '03 Kawa Z1000

Garage List
I got a ticket for this in the People's Republic of NJ. Moved south to a less communist state and it hasn't happened since.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 11:06 PM   #20
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmdals0213 View Post
isn't any modification to a car "technically" illegal. like for instance, getting bigger wheels or a different exhaust that is not factory installed. BUT since a good amount of drivers do have some small mods done, like wheels and exhausts, SOME LEOs don't care..?

not quoting anything, although i should, but just my knowledge from past experiences/reading something.
No, it's not illegal to modify your car. There are just rules and regulations you have to abide by such as emissions, noise, etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 11:25 PM   #21
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Come on guys. Use some common sense. In most states it is required that you drive with a license plate in a visible location. Why would they allow ANY cover over the plate at all? That makes no sense.
In California, our plates have a special reflective paint that is applied to make it more visible, especially at night. How well do you think this reflectance will work through a faded scratched up plastic cover? And before you say that your plate cover is clean, why do you think police and traffic courts would want to get involved in any dispute over how well one can see through a license plate cover? Unless it matches your triple wing trunk spoiler and fart can, there is precious little justification for a plate cover anyway other than to obscure the plate from authorities.
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 11:26 PM   #22
techietaichi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Pre-LCI & 2010 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewrick View Post
I think those tinted license plate covers are really annoying and shouldn't be allowed. Should post pics of yours so we can judge. Sounds like you should have just gotten a warning to fix it though.
Sorry bout the gigantic pics...

Here's my old plates w/o the cover

and my new plates w/smoked cover. As you can see, the entire plate is exposed, no frame that obscures anything. Damn, can I get some points for that?!

Not a huge difference, but enough that it blends with my ride ok. Even when I'd arrived at work that night, I parked my car, stood a good 30-40 feet away, whipped out my flashlight that's nowhere near as strong as headlights and I could see them just fine. I'm almost convinced the guy was just harassing me. What a DICK!