E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Traffic stopped for license cover...WHAT?!

09-13-2013, 09:44 PM   #89
techietaichi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Pre-LCI & 2010 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm View Post
lol...i know "schnell" means fast in German but i had to google what "shnell" meant.

evidently (according to Urban Dictionary), a "shnell" is a "lying or deceiving person, usually fat."

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shnell

i guess TS has a self-depreciating sense of humor (or something).
Hahahahaha, I didn't know that. I picked "SHNELL" because we only have 6 spaces for our plates in Massghanistan and my other choice, "SCHNEL" just didn't look right. Hmmm...I wonder if I'll be able to get "MASSSUX" when I move to NH? That would be a treat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
In Massachusetts? Pluuheeeez. My friend has a mansion in Brookline--a house like that would be easily 60k+ in NY, 50k in NJ. He pays a fraction of that. Move closer to civilization and see what real taxes are like lol
Actually I'd be happier away from civilization. More people, more problems! Being out in the sticks, at least I'd know a bear or moose's intent. Their driven by instinct not motive. You city folks can keep your metropolis.

Last edited by techietaichi; 09-13-2013 at 09:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #90
///Macht
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 ZCP Mexico Blue M3

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I live in VA, and I run without a front license plate. I was caught going a few miles over on my way back to work from lunch, and the guy gave me a break on the speeding, but noticed my lack of a front plate. I told him to "go ahead and write me up for it, I'll never put one on." After I explained that I would never drill holes in a newly installed M-Sport bumper, he laughed and said "I don't blame you." Still had to pay the fine, but the day I drill holes in my bumper (or mount a plate off to the side) is the day I sell the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 07:03 AM   #91
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

#firstworldproblem
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 10:21 AM   #92
techietaichi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Pre-LCI & 2010 X3

So it's been over two years now since I started this thread. I never removed that smoked cover and have yet to be stopped again. Last year when my eldest boy was in 2nd grade, one of his classmates parents was a MA State Trooper. I asked him his opinion about it and he said, yes, it's illegal, but that he personally wouldn't stop someone solely for the plate cover. However, it would be an additional infraction to the initial one that got you pulled over in the first place. I told him the story that I began this thread with, his response, "Must've been a rookie". See, I knew they have bigger fish to fry then a little guppy like me. Thank you Trooper that makes sense.
      09-17-2015, 03:25 PM   #93
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by techietaichi View Post
So it's been over two years now since I started this thread. I never removed that smoked cover and have yet to be stopped again. Last year when my eldest boy was in 2nd grade, one of his classmates parents was a MA State Trooper. I asked him his opinion about it and he said, yes, it's illegal, but that he personally wouldn't stop someone solely for the plate cover. However, it would be an additional infraction to the initial one that got you pulled over in the first place. I told him the story that I began this thread with, his response, "Must've been a rookie". See, I knew they have bigger fish to fry then a little guppy like me. Thank you Trooper that makes sense.
My other favorite MA law about your plate is that you can't cover up with a plate surround anything on the plate, like where it says Massachusetts and other stuff in the top corners, so most plate surrounds are actually illegal.

The whole stupid law and the issue with your plate cover is the lazy buggers just sit on the side of the road and let the plate reading camera do all the work and if you cover up to much or have a cover on the plate, it gives the camera issues and they can't read your plate.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 05:56 PM   #94
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Just to reiterate what happened in this thread, OP went on a political rant because he can't have a pointless piece of dark plastic literally designed to make his license plate harder to read, didn't get a ticket, then played victim and didn't remove the plastic.
Appreciate 3
      09-17-2015, 06:28 PM   #95
grizz311
Captain Rus
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i coupe

Yeah i dont get this thread OP
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 07:22 PM   #96
F30RiK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13' 335 xdrive M-sport 6 Speed

From your guns ?? Heres it just illegal to have guns.

Why does you need a gun ?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 01:37 AM   #97
b1mmr
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335XI E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by techietaichi
It's called profiling..look it up.. He was just trolling you to make sure you didn't have a record or some chit.. If the mods worth it.. Deal with it.. If not grow up and conform to your local laws. I can tell you covers are illegal basically everywhere.. Even your clear ones..
      09-18-2015, 01:39 AM   #98
b1mmr
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikrikrik

Recreational and self defense purposes... What kind of question is that? Have you never fed your family with 12 GA shell that cost 1 dollar... Eh probably not or your wouldn't have asked.
      09-18-2015, 01:41 AM   #99
b1mmr
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam
Just to reiterate what happened in this thread, OP went on a political rant because he can't have a pointless piece of dark plastic literally designed to make his license plate harder to read, didn't get a ticket, then played victim and didn't remove the plastic.
Bahahaha.... Yup
      09-18-2015, 05:03 AM   #100
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikrikrik View Post

To shoot stuff...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 07:47 AM   #101
modern_citizen24
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: stock 2007 335i auto tran

Just got a warning down here in florida. This shit is stupid, it doesn't make it any harder to read. Regardless I'm taking the plate back to autozone!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 10:43 AM   #102
kfriceman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 xDrive E90

Why would you ever want to do anything that would bring unwanted attention...........and then bitch about being pulled over because of (insert illegal whatever).

-Kevin
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 12:58 PM   #103
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

If a cop is having a slow night, of course he is going to stop you for something minor in hopes of finding something major. So why would you have an easily visible and obviously illegal thing on your car? Also, you were speeding too, so its not like you were obeying everything else on the road either.
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2015, 02:45 PM   #104
N54Society
Major Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfriceman View Post
Why would you ever want to do anything that would bring unwanted attention...........and then bitch about being pulled over because of (insert illegal whatever).

-Kevin
Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
If a cop is having a slow night, of course he is going to stop you for something minor in hopes of finding something major. So why would you have an easily visible and obviously illegal thing on your car? Also, you were speeding too, so its not like you were obeying everything else on the road either.
Both comments express my sentiments. In reality though, it sounds like OP doesn't like his "liberal" local government and is pinning anything that he dislikes on them. I mean, he's said that himself.

2010 E90 335i M-Sport AT: 5" Stepped FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP - MHD V7 E60 Tune running 100% E85 - VRSF DPs
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 02:56 PM   #105
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikrikrik View Post

Because we can't afford a fence on our northern border and we're terrified you guys may invade us at any time?

Tom
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 06:17 PM   #106
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by techietaichi View Post
Ok, so I'm bouncing off to work around 8:30PM and have been doing so for over 3 years now. I was actually being a good boy that night and wasn't getting too cozy with my accelerator, only going about 70(speed limit's 65) when suddenly "whoop, whoop", damnit a trooper! Shit. The officer walks over, flashlight all in my face, knee against my door, hand conveniently placed between his buckle and sidearm as he's leaning towards me, "How you doin' sir, know why I stopped you?". "Officer, I have no idea and was just about to ask you that", I responded. "License plate" he said. "License plate? What's wrong with it. Damn, did it fall off?!". "Nope. License plate cover, can't see your license plate". "What do you mean? I can see them just fine", I retorted. "Nope, I have to see them from 60 feet away. What you have is illegal". "Illegal? But I just bought them at Auto Zone. If they're illegal to have, why isn't it illegal to sell?". "I don't make the laws sir", he said.

Anyways, I ended up not getting a ticket and he asked me to be sure to remove them when I got a chance. I've yet to do so. I live in Massachusetts and I have a lot of problems with this state. From politics, to taxation, to welfare, to my guns. I mother%&$#'n hate this state and can't wait to head north to NH. This incident just added fuel to the fire. Stopped for a silly ass license plate cover, really? Never mind all the degenerates running about wreaking havoc and being a complete blight on society, let me stop this guy. Who else or what other states suffer this kind of ridiculous bs? Next thing they're going to tell me is a lowered vehicle's illegal or my wheels are too big. Sorry guys, I'm not trying to be a crybaby, but shit like this gets on my damn nerves. Can we all get a little something in return for the huge amount of taxes we pay?!
Move to Florida. It's the gunshine state.
No inspectionsense
No state income tax
No front plates
Fireworks the size of baseball's
And one more republican in a swing state never hurt. Voting republican in Massachusetts is an exercise in futility.
Oh and Latino women in bikinis year round. Say no more.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 07:18 PM   #107
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Don't come to Ca.
They might not sweat you over your plate cover, but it's illegal here.
Also Ca. is almost as bad as where you live for guns.

What part of the 2A is hard to understand? Don't infringe!!!!
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 08:26 PM   #108
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

One reason I don't want to live there either. I like my AR-15 with 30 round mag filled with alternating hollow tip and armor piercing rounds. It has a faster response time than cops which on average is 50 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 08:39 PM   #109
dannyjones
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
Move to Florida. It's the gunshine state.
No inspectionsense
No state income tax
No front plates
Fireworks the size of baseball's
And one more republican in a swing state never hurt. Voting republican in Massachusetts is an exercise in futility.
Oh and Latino women in bikinis year round. Say no more.
+100

But Latina not Latino

And get rid of your guns. No other country thinks it's necessary for every citizen to have a gun and I think they might be right. Check the news for mass shootings if you aren't convinced.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 12:18 AM   #110
b1mmr
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87
The timing is a huge factor too.. I worked night shift when I got my first car/job as a teenager and they were on me like flies on chit for every reason under the sun.. Or moon... But burnt out plate light was one of those reason and yes my cover was brought up.. But he basically didn't care without saying it

Now I'm 22, a little more mature after losing my license on a cbr and dealing with the suspension, and having an sr22..i just wanna chill I'm not out to prove anything.. I want as little attention as possible and sometimes that means obeying ignorant laws. We've been trying to pass no front plate for years with no avail. Pot will be legal first...