E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Coolant Question after Reservoir replacement

03-26-2022, 02:58 PM   #1
RaZCaL
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 Alpine White 335xi

Coolant Question after Reservoir replacement

I recently had a leaking coolant reservoir tank in my 2007 e90 and was replaced by an Indy shop. I noticed when he was filling up the coolant, he added a blue coolant I’ve never heard of before but assure me it works in my car (Pride Asia Plus). He added more than half a bottle. Link below:

https://www.prideantifreeze.com/prideasiaplus5050.html

Do you think this is ok to mix with the BMW OEM coolant? Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2022, 05:20 PM   #2
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Lol. Pride Asia Plus. Doesn’t sound like a coolant to me but that’s beside the point .

Personally I’d just stick with the BMW coolant or Zerex G48, which is the OE. This is one of those things where some people will say your engine is gonna explode and your dick will fly off, and the others will say you have nothing to worry about.

I don’t know enough about the technical aspects of this to speak to its cross compatibility, but I do find it odd that the product promotes its compatibility with Asian vehicles specifically, while omitting any mention of German makes. I’d think if it was truly ideal for either they would mention that, but that’s just conjecture.
      03-26-2022, 11:50 PM   #3
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaZCaL View Post
I recently had a leaking coolant reservoir tank in my 2007 e90 and was replaced by an Indy shop. I noticed when he was filling up the coolant, he added a blue coolant I’ve never heard of before but assure me it works in my car (Pride Asia Plus). He added more than half a bottle. Link below:

https://www.prideantifreeze.com/prideasiaplus5050.html

Do you think this is ok to mix with the BMW OEM coolant? Thanks in advance for your feedback!
It states that Pride Asia Plus is with Phosphates.

I believe bmw coolant is without phosphates.

If you look on their site they offer Pride Eurotec -34 which is with no phosphates. Formulated for European manufacturers.

I’m no coolant expert so please research bmw coolant specs for “our” generation bmws. I think new bmws use a different formulation as well.

I always buy direct from bmw, dilute it myself, and if doing any coolant related work at a shop, I make sure to tell the mechanic that I’m bringing my own coolant.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17388.50
      03-27-2022, 05:59 AM   #4
RaZCaL
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
It states that Pride Asia Plus is with Phosphates.

I believe bmw coolant is without phosphates.

If you look on their site they offer Pride Eurotec -34 which is with no phosphates. Formulated for European manufacturers.

I’m no coolant expert so please research bmw coolant specs for “our” generation bmws. I think new bmws use a different formulation as well.

I always buy direct from bmw, dilute it myself, and if doing any coolant related work at a shop, I make sure to tell the mechanic that I’m bringing my own coolant.

Crap. I guess I should do a coolant flush then. Hope it’s not doing any harm as I have been driving around for a bit.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2022, 09:01 AM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Crap. I guess I should do a coolant flush then. Hope it’s not doing any harm as I have been driving around for a bit.
Man, don't worry about it. Do a flush and be done with it. As e90yyc said, your engine will not explode and your dick will not fly off. The wrong phosphate coolant would take years to do any damage.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
Wolf 3352346.50
      03-27-2022, 01:03 PM   #6
mainbearing
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

I doubt that coolant is going to hurt. Phosphates are not going to be a problem if distilled water was used (or if the coolant was premixed as in your case). Europeans used silicates instead of phosphates because of the hard water in Europe causing the minerals to settle out. The old American Green coolant uses both silicates and phosphates together.

The BMW blue (G48) contains silicates, sebacic acid and 2EHA as the main inhibitors. The Honda Blue will have phosphates, sebacic and no 2EHA, which sounds like the Pride is formulated for. There are all-makes coolants using carboxylate-based inhibitors.

If you are concerned, flush it out with distilled water and use a concentrate to get back to 50% concentration. Use the original BMW blue, Zerex G48 or Pentofrost NF.

https://crpautomotive.com/brands/pentosin/antifreeze/
https://www.valvoline.com/en/zerex-g-48/

I have not used the newest BMW Green HT-12 coolant.
https://www.sclegacy.valvoline.com/e...eze/ht12-green

Personally I would not worry about it. However, if it brings you peace of mind, then flush it, with distilled water.

Quote:
Appreciate 2
Efthreeoh17388.50
Wolf 3352346.50
      03-29-2022, 01:12 PM   #7
RaZCaL
Enlisted Member
Rep

Good to hear that my car won’t blow up. Haha

I’m reading that the only reason not to use coolants that contain phosphate is fear of mixing bad water, which causes sludges. I’m assuming there is no issue when it already comes diluted 50/50. Is that correct?
Appreciate 0