E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Wastegate Actuator Warranty Work Completed

09-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
vip
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 Alpine White M5

Thumbs up Wastegate Actuator Warranty Work Completed

I just got my car back after sending it in to BMW of Fremont (I am out of warranty btw) to get the wastegate actuators replaced. The car was making a weird clicking noise upon deceleration and when revving the engine.

BMW upped the warranty to 8 year, 82k miles for the wastegate actuators. If you have not got them replaced and you have this clicking noise, I suggest you visit your local dealership. It was all done with the cost of $0.

Car now rev's fine and does not make that embarrassing clicking sound.
      09-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #2
blisstik
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92

Did they replace it or simply adjusted it? I went in for it and all I got was an adjustment. It did work tho and got rid of low boost codes during WOT.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335I AT, '14 M6 DCT

The problem is that the internal wastegate bushing and shaft wear at a fast rate. As they wear, the actuator adjustment quickly is taken out of spec by the "slop" the wear creates. Then while the actuators are out of adjustment spec, you get and even more aggressive wear rate on the internal wastegate components. This will take you to a point of the wastegates barely allowing movement- at which point the whole turbos need replaced. Glad you got them resolved, but you likely still have excessive wear in your internal wastegate components that will come and get you at a later date (but hopefully before 82k).
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
vip
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisstik View Post
Did they replace it or simply adjusted it? I went in for it and all I got was an adjustment. It did work tho and got rid of low boost codes during WOT.
I am pretty sure they replaced both.
      09-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #5
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
It's actually wastegate components with the extension of warranty. Whether that's the actuator itself and/or the turbo, it's all covered. Glad to hear yours is taken care of
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 02:02 PM   #6
Ferruccio
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vip View Post
I just got my car back after sending it in to BMW of Fremont (I am out of warranty btw) to get the wastegate actuators replaced. The car was making a weird clicking noise upon deceleration and when revving the engine.

BMW upped the warranty to 8 year, 82k miles for the wastegate actuators. If you have not got them replaced and you have this clicking noise, I suggest you visit your local dealership. It was all done with the cost of $0.

Car now rev's fine and does not make that embarrassing clicking sound.
Did you take out the Procede beforehand? I'd imagine that would affect the turbo warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 02:04 PM   #7
vip
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
Did you take out the Procede beforehand? I'd imagine that would affect the turbo warranty.
lol, I sure did. Luckily my car is stock aside from the procede. But yeah I took it out and also plan to leave it out for good. It was fun to be on procede, but doesnt seem so fun if it ends up giving me problems down the road.
      09-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #8
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBeck View Post
The problem is that the internal wastegate bushing and shaft wear at a fast rate. ... at which point the whole turbos need replaced.
Yep. Some are worse than others, and I think it may have to do with extended periods of extreme heat such as track/driver schools. I adjusted my own to get rid of the rattle at about 58k miles. We'll see how long they last. If they go, I have an extended warranty up to 100k miles, and single turbo, here I come.
      09-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #9
KaiserN54
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I

Quote:
lol, I sure did. Luckily my car is stock aside from the procede. But yeah I took it out and also plan to leave it out for good. It was fun to be on procede, but doesnt seem so fun if it ends up giving me problems down the road.
The procede didn't give you problems...BMW's S&^% engineering did. These parts fail regardless of mods.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 02:40 PM   #10
Evil///M
Professional Hitman
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+ | Colorado Z71

Garage List
Do you think they will give me trouble having aftermarket exhaust and other bolt ons?
      09-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #11
Fully_Bolted
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

They dont adjust the actuators under the extended warranty, they replace the turbos. Mine is at the shop getting replaced as i type this.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #12
vip
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomos319 View Post
The procede didn't give you problems...BMW's S&^% engineering did. These parts fail regardless of mods.
oh i heard that.... ha. tru statement!
      09-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #13
vip
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully_Bolted View Post
They dont adjust the actuators under the extended warranty, they replace the turbos. Mine is at the shop getting replaced as i type this.
I'll look at my paperwork, doubt they replaced my turbos tho... ;/
      09-13-2012, 02:50 PM   #14
oma3710
Major
Rep
Drives: ?

Damn, they told me wastegate rattle was normal. They told me for my vin it wasnt covered.
SOLD! 435i- Cary Jordan E30 Tune~ Dinan Turbo~ BM3 trans tune~ XDI-35~ 3.5 T-map sensor~ VRSF HD FMIC~ VRSF Chargepipe~ VRSF Catless Downpipe~ CTS Intake~ FTP boost pipe~ FTP intake inlet~ FTP oil catch can~ Turbosmart dual bov~
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #15
vip
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oma3710 View Post
Damn, they told me wastegate rattle was normal. They told me for my vin it wasnt covered.
go back and show them this.
      09-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #16
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil///M View Post
Do you think they will give me trouble having aftermarket exhaust and other bolt ons?
It may depend on how cool your SA is. I have read some posts that dealers give people hassel, and others not. My SA is really cool and even another one ask if I had a COBB and said out loud in the lobby, "We don't care if you have a COBB" "we get paid for warranty work, not rejecting customers". or something like that. "we saw a JB3, left it alone and did the work"

I have, ETS FMIC, ER CP w/Tial and DCI, I will leave that in but remove the COBB. Its a minor risk but we will see. (haven't been to the dealer yet since mods, just DCI)

It's the DP's where my SA said "Don't do it". but this is just per my dealership. yours may be different.

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #17
pentaxis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i

My car is at the dealer now for the rattle. They replaced the actuators first to see if that would be enough, but it wasn't. Turbos are getting swapped as we speak. I removed my Procede, and DCI. My HPF front mount is still installed though. SA knows that my car is tuned. He is running a FBO+Meth e85 on his car as well.

Better to take the most noticable parts of in case something comes up that is out of his hands I figured. Plus it was a perfect opportunity to upgrade to Rev 2.5 so that I can give the E85 maps a try too.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #18
Evil///M
Professional Hitman
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+ | Colorado Z71

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VNeBLOB42 View Post
It may depend on how cool your SA is. I have read some posts that dealers give people hassel, and others not. My SA is really cool and even another one ask if I had a COBB and said out loud in the lobby, "We don't care if you have a COBB" "we get paid for warranty work, not rejecting customers". or something like that. "we saw a JB3, left it alone and did the work"

I have, ETS FMIC, ER CP w/Tial and DCI, I will leave that in but remove the COBB. Its a minor risk but we will see. (haven't been to the dealer yet since mods, just DCI)

It's the DP's where my SA said "Don't do it". but this is just per my dealership. yours may be different.
That's really cool of them. I guess I will just have to go and talk to them then.
      09-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #19
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

Quote:
Wuss

I actually got my turbos replaced with the updated versions (8mm actuator arm) right at 49,000 miles ...Phew

Vip, how's the new gig?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #20
KaiserN54
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNeBLOB42 View Post

Too bad I don't have the guts to test out how "cool" my SA is. I am having everything removed this weekend so I can bring mine in. I could just ask them first but I'm afraid if I did, cats out of the bag and no turbos.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #21
pentaxis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomos319 View Post
Too bad I don't have the guts to test out how "cool" my SA is. I am having everything removed this weekend so I can bring mine in. I could just ask them first but I'm afraid if I did, cats out of the bag and no turbos.
Maybe casually ask him after the job is done. "Thanks guys! Heya... BTW. I was thinking about adding some go fast goodies. Any recommendations and can you guys still work on it?"
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 04:20 PM   #22
sparkyblue
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i & F80 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Hmm, my local & home dealer is BMW of Fremont as well. I have just two engine bolt ont's and a Cobb. Just recently I installed my VRSF DP's and I notice my WG's rattling upon startup and while cold, but goes away after about 5 minutes of driving.

I wonder if my SA (who I have picked out of many SA's to be the coolest of them all) would approve for my WG or hopefully even turbos to be replaced.

I just put these DP's in myself about a week ago, and really would rather not have to swap back to stock as swapping DP's is a complete and utter pain in the ass.
Appreciate 0