E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Need info on car battery e92

12-30-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
335DEE
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT

Need info on car battery e92

Need a new battery for my car but trying to source one seems to be a bit hit and miss.

There seems to be 2 different types , Filled and AGM type ( as far as i can tell the AGM is a dry type battery )

Prices range for a 90AH from £75 to $520 .. obviously BMW is the top of the price bracket but even at named manufacturer Bosch , Exide etc etc the prices vary wildly .. bosch "S6" is about £185 -215 and Exide."EB950". well .. same physical size and cranking spec for a measly £75

Has anyone bought a battery recently who could offer some advice plz.
The car also needs to be coded/initialized so if anyone has done that too that can offer some info it would be gratefully received
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 01:48 AM   #2
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Genuine battery for my 330d was £130+VAT - worth trying BMW. I wouldn't bother with any coding moreso if it is a direct replacement battery.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 03:29 AM   #3
Frobius
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d M-Sport

Garage List
As per that thread I linked to in your other thread, be aware if you're getting a battery that isn't the same spec as an OEM one, you'll need to tell the car and then it can get complicated.
      12-31-2012, 04:03 AM   #4
Guvernator
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frobius View Post
As per that thread I linked to in your other thread, be aware if you're getting a battery that isn't the same spec as an OEM one, you'll need to tell the car and then it can get complicated.
Yes this ^^^^. The batteries in BMW's are a bit more complicated than usual, probably to stop people going non-OEM so I'd stick to an original one if I were you, otherwise it will probably throw up errors codes.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 07:18 AM   #5
seanblee
Captain
Rep
Drives: VW Golf GTI Mk7.5

The batteries are either lead calcium or AGM. The E9x has IBS (Intelligent Battery System) that theoretically needs to be told when you replace the battery, even if it's like-for-like - this takes about 2 minutes with INPA or Tool32. Some people replace without telling the car, but I've seen stories that this kills the new battery as the system doesn't recalibrate the charging voltage - sounds a bit like urban myth to me, but up to you if you want to take the risk!

If you replace with a different capacity or type, this needs recoding (ideally through an update to the vehicle order), which takes probably 5-10 minutes with NCS). Codeable battery options are:

Code:
E B046                  BATT_46AH                         //46 Ah-Batterie
E B055                  BATT_55AH                         //55 Ah-Batterie
E B070                  BATT_70AH                         //70 Ah-Batterie
E B080                  BATT_80AH                         //80 Ah-Batterie
E B090                  BATT_90AH                         //90 Ah-Batterie
E A070                  BATT_AGM_70AH                 //70 Ah-AGM Batterie
E A080                  BATT_AGM_80AH                 //80 Ah-AGM Batterie
E A090                  BATT_AGM_90AH                 //90 Ah-AGM Batterie
To tell what type of battery you have now, check the top of the casing. The capacity will be marked on it; lead calcium batteries are white and AGM batteries are black.

FTR, BMW don't make batteries. The standard batteries are made by a variety of manufacturers - I've seen Exide standard and Banner AGM, so these are both safe bets.
      12-31-2012, 08:18 AM   #6
Frobius
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d M-Sport

Garage List
I sometimes think I have IBS too. Be right back...
      12-31-2012, 02:07 PM   #7
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblee View Post
The batteries are either lead calcium or AGM. The E9x has IBS (Intelligent Battery System) that theoretically needs to be told when you replace the battery, even if it's like-for-like - this takes about 2 minutes with INPA or Tool32. Some people replace without telling the car, but I've seen stories that this kills the new battery as the system doesn't recalibrate the charging voltage - sounds a bit like urban myth to me, but up to you if you want to take the risk!

If you replace with a different capacity or type, this needs recoding (ideally through an update to the vehicle order), which takes probably 5-10 minutes with NCS). Codeable battery options are:

Code:
E B046                  BATT_46AH                         //46 Ah-Batterie
E B055                  BATT_55AH                         //55 Ah-Batterie
E B070                  BATT_70AH                         //70 Ah-Batterie
E B080                  BATT_80AH                         //80 Ah-Batterie
E B090                  BATT_90AH                         //90 Ah-Batterie
E A070                  BATT_AGM_70AH                 //70 Ah-AGM Batterie
E A080                  BATT_AGM_80AH                 //80 Ah-AGM Batterie
E A090                  BATT_AGM_90AH                 //90 Ah-AGM Batterie
To tell what type of battery you have now, check the top of the casing. The capacity will be marked on it; lead calcium batteries are white and AGM batteries are black.

FTR, BMW don't make batteries. The standard batteries are made by a variety of manufacturers - I've seen Exide standard and Banner AGM, so these are both safe bets.
Partly urban myth.
If you change the battery TYPE and/or CAPACITY then you need to code it to the car.

If its EXACTLY the same spec, then there is no need to do the coding.

All the coding does is teach the car computer the capacity, and therefor its expected and optimal charge/discharge rates.

Charge voltage for a L/A or SLA battery is constant, the current and charge time will change with different capacities.

HTH
Steve
      12-31-2012, 05:18 PM   #8
sylonien
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3

Original 70Ah in mine, but I went for a BOSCH S5 85Ah which was cheaper than OEM one, got that coded in as well to 80Ah. Didn't want to go over to 90Ah but didn't have the option for 85, if it makes sense.

Fitted fine physically and had no issues what so ever with the battery and electrics.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #9
biggles21
Rep
Drives: 320D E90 lci

Hi, if your car has auto stop/start you should get it coded as the the system will still think you have the old battery fitted and over cook it. I had a new AGM (advanced glass mat) battery fitted to the wifes car at a cost of iirc £128 delivered. It was an Exide battery the same as the oem that BMW wanted over£200 to supply. I fitted the battery and the local stealers took £35+vat to code it but the head mechanic said that a lot of people dont do it but it resets all the battery information in the ecu. The other thing it cured was that the auto/stop start started working again. The place i got my battery fron was MDS batterys speak to Henry- i got a discount for being a forum member on one of the other bmw sites. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 03:50 AM   #10
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

I believe varta are the oem suppliers, if you look around you will see various stockists in the uk for the varta battery.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #11
biggles21
Rep
Drives: 320D E90 lci

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
I believe varta are the oem suppliers, if you look around you will see various stockists in the uk for the varta battery.
They are one of a couple of suppliers, both mine and the wifes cars (E87 118 and E90 320 diesels) have exide batteries thats why i replaced like for like. Also i was told that the exide agm batteries were of better quality than the varta - who knows time will tell
Appreciate 0