E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > *** Calling All Members With Problems With The 320i ***

11-11-2009, 11:23 AM   #573
the_rangdo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 528i F11 (2015)

Mine's going in next week for the creaky front suspension to be looked at (got noisier over the past week with the temp drop)

While it's there I've asked them to revisit the shudder I get at 1000rpm with a view to updating the s/ware. It'll be intersting to see if that gets it sorted.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 07:19 AM   #574
paribiza
Rep
Drives: bmw 320 i e92 2007

Hi ,

after upgrading and replacing spark plug, injector, my car is still judder and vibrate, it sounds like an activation of a rotor during the driving. the dealer told the computer test outcome : the car haven't been driven far enough as a result the catalsyt doesn't burnt as good as it should be, I have driven 8000 miles from september !
Is anyone aware of this issue ?
many thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 04:25 PM   #575
COLSEN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 320i MSport > Merc C220CDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by paribiza View Post
Hi ,

after upgrading and replacing spark plug, injector, my car is still judder and vibrate, it sounds like an activation of a rotor during the driving. the dealer told the computer test outcome : the car haven't been driven far enough as a result the catalsyt doesn't burnt as good as it should be, I have driven 8000 miles from september !
Is anyone aware of this issue ?
many thanks
That's bull mate. When I had my 2007 e92 I was doing 30,000+ miles a year and had no end of problems with it!!!

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 03:54 AM   #576
crazymadphil
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 320i Coupe

UPDATE: All problems have returned. Despite Knock Sensor and coils being replaced 2 WEEKS AGO!!! Also, I now have engine warning light SEVERE juddering and lack of power, AND now the car is telling me that my "Suspension Control System" has failed!!

I'm going to get legal advice on Monday (tomorrow). It would be useful if any of you who have has similar porblems could forward me documents re: servicing/work done as I reckon they would be more powerful regarding making a case against BMW and this car/engine which nis clearly faulty. I will of course forward any of you my full car history in return.

Please, if you have any issues similar to mine! I NEED YOUR HELP!

P.M. me for my contact details.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 01:33 PM   #577
COLSEN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymadphil View Post
UPDATE: All problems have returned. Despite Knock Sensor and coils being replaced 2 WEEKS AGO!!! Also, I now have engine warning light SEVERE juddering and lack of power, AND now the car is telling me that my "Suspension Control System" has failed!!

I'm going to get legal advice on Monday (tomorrow). It would be useful if any of you who have has similar porblems could forward me documents re: servicing/work done as I reckon they would be more powerful regarding making a case against BMW and this car/engine which nis clearly faulty. I will of course forward any of you my full car history in return.

Please, if you have any issues similar to mine! I NEED YOUR HELP!

P.M. me for my contact details.
Could be your High Pressure Fuel Pump or the injectors, have you had any of these replaced previously?

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 12:34 AM   #578
crazymadphil
Rep

Yup...had ijectrs replaced already along with noc sensor and ignition coils...VERY dissappointed!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 01:12 AM   #579
PeKKeR
Pekker Coupe Sport
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i E92 M-Sport

high pressure fuel pump only exists on twin turbo 335i models, not on the 320i.

phil, FORCE THEM TO UPDATE YOUR SOFTWARE. it will be the end of your problems.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2009, 02:13 PM   #580
brumex1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: conv 320i

it still has a fuel pump and this could be the source of problem
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 05:08 AM   #581
andreasathinodorou
Registered
Rep
Drives: e92 320i

hey

hey all
i am from cyprus
i bought on may of 2007 an e92 320i coupe.
it didnt had any problems until recently.on 24000km the engine check light on and they changed me the injections,coils and sparks.
now on 30000km the engine check light again and they told me it was a sensor.the fuel pump sensor and they changed it.also they updated the software.
but now the fuel consuption has increased very much and i have to pass the 2000rpm to work properly the car. before them the car chokes up...
did they do something wrong?or its because the new software??
thank you very much
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 06:32 AM   #582
E92westy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 118d Sport

Hi all,
I have a July 2007 320i M Sport, which I really love but has developed these symptoms, although mild compared to some!
Idle is ok, but big hole in the power at 1500 to 2200 and the occasional 'misfire' or hesistancy.
No CEL's.

It's booked in the dealer for a look over tomorrow.
Can anyone tell me the name of current software version, please.
I've read the thead, but am a bit confused...
I may have to thrust it under their nose.
Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 08:07 AM   #583
Scheliel
Stan Bezuidenhout
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 320i E90

Ok - so I bought a brand new BLACK 320i E90. When I got it, it was all fine. Runs like a dream - no problems... Um. Until you use the aircon. I found that the car would just totally FILL UP with water -sloshing around inside the cab (exposing me to risk of fire). I took it back and got given a loaner (a WHITE 320i E90) to drive. Drove this for about 3 weeks and heard nothing, so I went to see BMW. They "gave" me my car - the 320i E90, but in dark grey. So far, so good.

Then I felt a small high-frequency vibration on the gear-lever. Went back and a tech drove with me. He explained that the low mileage (<500Km) means the clutch had not seated properly on the pressure-plate yet and "it will go away."

After about a month, the vibration went away (or am I used to it?) and became an intermittent shudder. This only happens on SOME take-offs, only from stand-still and with different drivers (me and my fiancé).

It also started with this "flat spot" problem. Now - although the E90 320i is (obviously) not fitted with a turbo, I could best describe it as a sensation of "turbo lag." Again, from stand-still, again only on take-off, as you start to accelerate, the engine just "dies" then it "pauses like that" for a second or so, and suddenly, the "power returns" to its full glory...

So - at the first service, and after numerous references, I added these points to my "list of issues and also included abnormal tyre wear, asking for wheel alignment to be checked (there were more, but are unrelated)." When I got the car back, there was now suddenly also a wheel balancing problem (that was not there before). The next service (according to OBC) was in 8000Km, when the rear brakes needed to be replaced.

When I challenged them on this, they told me that "this is impossible," and asked for me to bring the car back. So, I took it back. They "checked it" and then asked me if I "hit a pot-hole," since they saw scrape-marks on my wheel mags. I explained that these came from a U-turn in town, that I knew exactly where this happened and that the problem only started AFTER they worked on the car. So - they gave it back to me and told me that the "one wheel is not too happy."

I then asked about the clutch shudder and was told that "this is totally normal" and that "only 320i's do this." I asked them why this was not advertised as an additional feature and asked if I was charged for it, if it was "so normal." They were not very impressed with my sarcasm, but had no answer.

I then took the car and left. After about 1000Km, the OBC then "Demanded that I take the car back for a service - rear brakes need replacing." But - remember, ALL this is within less than a week! So, I took it back (again) and asked them to replace the brakes. They confirmed that the OBC now stated that the brakes should be replaced in 164000 (minus sixty four thousand) Km. They also told me this was "normal" and that the computer was just like that. They fitted rear brakes (within an hour) and kindly washed my car for me.

I then left again. Knowing that the wheel balancing problem was only noticeable at 140Km/h, I took a drive up the Westcoast to go and test to this speed. On the way, my "coolant light" came on. I stopped at the first gas station and - lo and behold - water (coolant) all over my engine and inside the engine compartment.

So I had to call BMW assist to come and help. After waiting 2 hours in teh searing heat (35 deg Celsius, with no aircon), the tech dude arrived with a replacement (second hand) bleeder screw.

Then he popped that in, let the car run a bit and told me to drive BACK to BMW. I went back and they "checked the car" again. So the water problem was solved.

But - here's what I am stuck with, by logical deduction (according to BMW):

1. The clutch will shudder sometimes. It's normal. Get over it.
2. The "flat spot" is normal. Just don;t take any chances and be sure to leave enough space, so you don't have a truck run over you.
3. Replace your tyres, then the wheel balancing issue should be sorted. It is like that because a "tyre is unhappy."

So - I have told them (Parts Manager, Sales Manager and Service Manager) that I do not want this car anymore and that I would like to upgrade to an X3.

NO ONE has offered me a test drive, I have NOT had anyone "do the figures" for me and I do not even have a QUOTE yet...

Any thoughts on THIS saga?

Stan Bezuidenhout
Forensic Collision Homicide Reconstructionist
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 03:13 PM   #584
COLSEN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Stan, sorry to hear your story, I'm not too sure about the X3 you'd have to check the forums but if you haven't heard anything from the dealers, and you haven't received the best service from them, I'd seriously think about either a different dealer or a different make of car.

Last edited by COLSEN; 02-24-2010 at 06:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 05:44 AM   #585
crazymadphil
Rep

OK - Another update!

car went back to dealership with SAME Problems - advised that SW update required and new coils again (2nd time in 3 weeks!) While at the dealers the traction control unit failed and needs replacing also. Have exhausted all reasonable routes with BMW ireland - have engaged my solicitor and am awaiting a response. Customer care is TERRIBLE and quality of vehicle is AWFUL!!! Anybody else in a similar position to me at the moment?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 06:42 AM   #586
E92westy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymadphil View Post
OK - Another update!

car went back to dealership with SAME Problems - advised that SW update required and new coils again (2nd time in 3 weeks!) While at the dealers the traction control unit failed and needs replacing also. Have exhausted all reasonable routes with BMW ireland - have engaged my solicitor and am awaiting a response. Customer care is TERRIBLE and quality of vehicle is AWFUL!!! Anybody else in a similar position to me at the moment?
That's just weird!!
My car had the software updated on Tuesday and I got about 5 miles from the dealer before the TC, brake and tyre pressure warning lights all came on!
Took it back on Wednesay and they said a "sensor was out of alignment". Hmmmm.
Anyway, the car drives much better now.
Fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 10:08 AM   #587
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

I didnt know there were this many problems with the 320i
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 01:55 PM   #588
SLK786
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 320I M SPORT SILVER

HI , im new to this forum , first time ive been on here and i just want to say im shocked! at how many people have problem with their 320i i brought mine back in april from bmw crewe and had expirenced the same problem with the car shuddering at idle , i thought i was imagineing things so i took it to bmw when i explained to them the problem they looked at me like i didnt know what i was talking about and also the noise of the engine sounds like a disele? does any one else have that some problem with the noise? elms bmw bedford gave it a look over and said i needed a software update so they gave me one but the problem is still here i must of had like 3 software updates now and its going back in on wednesday , the last time i went they said they couldnt pick up any problem except for a misfire in 1 of the cylinders? and told me to monitor it , if they dont fix it this time what should i do? any help would be appriciated
thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 11:22 AM   #589
COLSEN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK786 View Post
HI , im new to this forum , first time ive been on here and i just want to say im shocked! at how many people have problem with their 320i i brought mine back in april from bmw crewe and had expirenced the same problem with the car shuddering at idle , i thought i was imagineing things so i took it to bmw when i explained to them the problem they looked at me like i didnt know what i was talking about and also the noise of the engine sounds like a disele? does any one else have that some problem with the noise? elms bmw bedford gave it a look over and said i needed a software update so they gave me one but the problem is still here i must of had like 3 software updates now and its going back in on wednesday , the last time i went they said they couldnt pick up any problem except for a misfire in 1 of the cylinders? and told me to monitor it , if they dont fix it this time what should i do? any help would be appriciated
thanks
So is yours a 2009 model with these issues, or did you buy it second hand?

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 01:13 PM   #590
SLK786
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 320I M SPORT SILVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLSEN View Post
So is yours a 2009 model with these issues, or did you buy it second hand?

sorry should of said , no its a 57 plate brought it second hand , it was a december 2007 build
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 11:19 AM   #591
COLSEN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK786 View Post
sorry should of said , no its a 57 plate brought it second hand , it was a december 2007 build
I think there were multiple problems with the 320i engine.
Failures were usually with the fuel pump, injectors, coils, & knock sensor, all these need to be checked and it needs to have the Latest software update on it.

Bearing in mind that I'm on my second 320i, the first was just awful the second seems much better and then fab since the software update. Good Luck to you mate keep us posted!

Last edited by COLSEN; 02-24-2010 at 06:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 05:16 PM   #592
E92westy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92westy View Post
That's just weird!!
My car had the software updated on Tuesday and I got about 5 miles from the dealer before the TC, brake and tyre pressure warning lights all came on!
Took it back on Wednesay and they said a "sensor was out of alignment". Hmmmm.
Anyway, the car drives much better now.
Fingers crossed.
Spoke too soon....
It's going back in next week - still 'missing'.
Shame, because apart from this I love it !
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 04:22 AM   #593
PeKKeR
Pekker Coupe Sport
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i E92 M-Sport

my problems started again. in the last 4 days i had 2 engine lights, while turning into a corner with second gear at 1700-2000 rpm, the RPM needle started bouncing up and down, and then the light left both times. im trying to avoid sub-2000rpm after first gear and it looks like its smoother now...but im feeling that the worst will come soon :-(

im thinking that even if i take it to the dealer, they'll probably tell me that everything is fine cos they dont see any check engine light...i guess ill just have to wait until it breaks down....an 18month old BMW...amazing huh?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2009, 04:40 PM   #594
jakeandlizzy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 320 MSport Convertible

Hello, back again....

The engine warning light came on 6 weeks ago and the fuel injector was replaced.

Tonight, the engine warning light is back. I could tell over the past couple of weeks thst it was due to happen soon as power had been strarting to drop again, with very little power from 1k - 2k revs.

I'm really getting fed up with my car (2007 e93 320i). This is the 4th time I've had this problem and although the car looks great, it keeps letting me down. Other than (another?) software upgrade, can anyone suggest please what additional work I need to ask the dealer to do, to stop this happening?

If I keep the car, I'm definitely tempted to take out the BMW warranty!
Appreciate 0