E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > V1.47 Dyno Compared to V2.02 @100%

01-08-2008, 11:17 AM   #23
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

The Vista thing may have worked but I doubt it will be repeatable.

I think that ThomasMartin's 100% settings cause knock and so the ECU has to dial back timing. 100% settings with pump gas is crazy and can harm your engine. On the other hand I am happy that people are trying this, it shows how good the N54 is constructed.

Please do the following ( engine should be cold, firmware 103 should be installed on the PROcede ):

Get good gas ( min 95 octane RON, better 98-100 octane RON ).

- Load the v2.0.2 12-29 speed limit map and don't install the speed wires
- Reset the PROcede
- Disconnect the car's battery for 60 minutes
- After battery reconnect, let the engine idle for 10-15 minutes
- Drive at least 50 miles with the 90% settings
- Test the car again

If you raise the user torque settings raise them to 92% and retest. Stop raising user torque settings when you have reached 94%.

That's what I would do to get a big picture about the car and V2.

Hope that helps.

- Eugen
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 11:18 AM   #24
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

the 1.47 car is pushing more boost... thats your answer

My guess is that something on the v2 car is keeping it from being able to make more boost.

Maybe shiv needs to do some altitude specific adjustments?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 11:26 AM   #25
e.n335
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post
the 1.47 car is pushing more boost... thats your answer

My guess is that something on the v2 car is keeping it from being able to make more boost.

Maybe shiv needs to do some altitude specific adjustments?
As long people don't follow Shiv's advice you can't tell what the problem is. On Vishnu's website you can reat that 100% settings with pump gas can harm the engine. People are ignoring it.

BTW, M&M has a Spearco FMIC and a WIS system.

Do you have some kind of engine tuning ? I don't think so. If it's like this I wonder how you will know what Shiv should do ...
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 11:35 AM   #26
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.n335 View Post
As long people don't follow Shiv's advice you can't tell what the problem is. On Vishnu's website you can reat that 100% settings with pump gas can harm the engine. People are ignoring it.

BTW, M&M has a Spearco FMIC and a WIS system.

Do you have some kind of engine tuning ? I don't think so.
No reason for getting all defensive... I am not attacking the procede.

I was simply stating that his car running v2 is NOT making the boost psi that it should be making at those settings.

It could be for a number of reasons, but that is the answer to why it is so close to 1.47... it has less boost

Please don't take my posts out of context
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 12:11 PM   #27
Cookiemonster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 335XI e92

Vista blows...LOL!

I had to order 4 new computers for my office. But the program we use is not compatable with Vista and there is no patch from the software company...just the new version of the software which requires a major purchase. My solution was Dell sells new Laptops and Desktops with XP. Otherwise I would have to pay 3000 dollars for each new version license (4 total). As a small business I cant shell out 12,000 grand for software every few years...when the software I have works fine.

Blame Microsoft...not Vishnu for the Vista issues.
      01-08-2008, 12:50 PM   #28
MBMWTECH
BMW TECH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328I SEDAN - 2008 BMW 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemonster View Post
Vista blows...LOL!

I had to order 4 new computers for my office. But the program we use is not compatable with Vista and there is no patch from the software company...just the new version of the software which requires a major purchase. My solution was Dell sells new Laptops and Desktops with XP. Otherwise I would have to pay 3000 dollars for each new version license (4 total). As a small business I cant shell out 12,000 grand for software every few years...when the software I have works fine.

Blame Microsoft...not Vishnu for the Vista issues.
TELL ME ABOUT IT - I JUST DUMPED 1000 INTO A LAPTOP FROM DELL - BUT GOT VISTA - I WASNT AWARE OF THE POTENTIAL NON COMPATABILITY WITH OTHER PROGRAMS. Im able to change torque settings - but cannot data log because the damn vista keeps disconnecting itself from the procede - totally at random.

Its not vishnus fault - Damn Microsoft - U suck
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 12:54 PM   #29
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

I very luckily kept my old toshiba laptop when I got a new one last month which is running Vista. I can't even connect w/ Vista to my procede.

So now the old laptop has become a Procede only computer.
      01-08-2008, 01:20 PM   #30
down4it
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by revah2 View Post
Scratch that Shiv personally told me, through a series of argumentative posts in another thread, that you could run 100% across the board with pump gas
Through a series of argumentative posts in another thread you told me you were homosexual...
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 01:23 PM   #31
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by down4it View Post
Through a series of argumentative posts in another thread you told me you were homosexual...

01-08-2008, 01:26 PM   #32
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBMWTECH View Post
I see from your screen shot that your using VISTA is that correct?

If so try reloading the firmware and maps with a microsoft windows version.
I had the same exact problem when I uploaded with vista. my boost would not go over 10 to 11 psi in the upper rpms. I re-uploaded the firmware and maps with microsoft windows (last night) and problem fixed.
Uh,

Don't know what else to say, there's really no way for that to really happen, the chances of the right data being corrupted in the right way to cause this and not total failure are insurmountable.
      01-08-2008, 01:35 PM   #33
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Hi guys,
When we are talking about running a car at 6000ft above sea level, neither v1 or v2 cars will make the same boost as cars running closer to sea level. This is due to turbo limitations. I don't think there is really much more to it than that. You can try to change your DVs and check for leaks but running a car at .75 atmosphere is going to take its toll in the power department. The highest altitude testing i've personally done is 4000-4500' and it was clear that the absolute pressure targets dropped substantially. At 6000', i can only imagine it dropping more. With ever increasing altitude, it will eventually get to a point where a stock car, v1 and v2 car all run the same boost because the turbos are essentially out of juice at that point.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 01:42 PM   #34
ThomasMartin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

ok Guys

Ill try answer most of the comments.We just finished from the dyno and did many many runs. The technical guy also told us that the 335 has a very good knock sensor and damage due to knocking is probably not going to happen. To confirm the question yes the car did retard timing at 4000 RPM and this just shows how good the knock sensing on the 335 is as the knock sensor we had connected from the dyno didnt pick up anything, so at least by me pushing my car we know that the engine has brilliant knock protection.

I also tried adding some race fuel, i had 20L 95 RON and added 20L 98 RON and did another couple of runs. The drop in power at 4000RPM was gone so it was a small fuel issue but obviously not that bad if by just adding a little 98 RON it fixed the problem.

The run i showed in this post compared to M&M's car was standard V1.47 no aquamist used during runs and no other mods. My car has a drop in K&N and V2.02 at 100%.

I must admit the car does feel a little better with just a little 98 RON i cant believe it raised the overall octane by very much but it was enough to stop any problems. I do like the fact that V1.47 maintains higher boost on pump fuel and race fuel is not required in comparison V2 needs race fuel to get close to the same boost and maintain that boost for as long. M&M's boost does not drop even close to as much as mine does.

But we did come to the conclusion that my car is not holding boost past 4000RPM especially the higher i raise the boost. M&M seems to think i need the forged DV's which im going to order but his V1.47 is boosting consistantly higher and holding it longer than my V2.0.2 so either i have a small boost leak or i need the forged DV's.

I hear many of you guys have had good results with these DV's, i think it will stop my sudden drop in boost from 4000 RPM.

All in all M&M's car spools like a mad thing and if we pull next to each other by the time my lag is over he is 2 cars ahead of me, his car runs brilliantly with the DP's and catback and sounds damn nice as well. I think when he gets his V2 not much will catch him on the road.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 01:45 PM   #35
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMartin View Post
ok Guys

Ill try answer most of the comments.We just finished from the dyno and did many many runs. The technical guy also told us that the 335 has a very good knock sensor and damage due to knocking is probably not going to happen. To confirm the question yes the car did retard timing at 4000 RPM and this just shows how good the knock sensing on the 335 is as the knock sensor we had connected from the dyno didnt pick up anything, so at least by me pushing my car we know that the engine has brilliant knock protection.

I also tried adding some race fuel, i had 20L 95 RON and added 20L 98 RON and did another couple of runs. The drop in power at 4000RPM was gone so it was a small fuel issue but obviously not that bad if by just adding a little 98 RON it fixed the problem.

The run i showed in this post compared to M&M's car was standard V1.47 no aquamist used during runs and no other mods. My car has a drop in K&N and V2.02 at 100%.

I must admit the car does feel a little better with just a little 98 RON i cant believe it raised the overall octane by very much but it was enough to stop any problems. I do like the fact that V1.47 maintains higher boost on pump fuel and race fuel is not required in comparison V2 needs race fuel to get close to the same boost and maintain that boost for as long. M&M's boost does not drop even close to as much as mine does.

But we did come to the conclusion that my car is not holding boost past 4000RPM especially the higher i raise the boost. M&M seems to think i need the forged DV's which im going to order but his V1.47 is boosting consistantly higher and holding it longer than my V2.0.2 so either i have a small boost leak or i need the forged DV's.

I hear many of you guys have had good results with these DV's, i think it will stop my sudden drop in boost from 4000 RPM.

All in all M&M's car spools like a mad thing and if we pull next to each other by the time my lag is over he is 2 cars ahead of me, his car runs brilliantly with the DP's and catback and sounds damn nice as well. I think when he gets his V2 not much will catch him on the road.
He has downpipes and a cat-back and you don't? And you confirmed that running 100% on pump gas was a bad idea?

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 02:03 PM   #36
ThomasMartin
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Hi guys,
When we are talking about running a car at 6000ft above sea level, neither v1 or v2 cars will make the same boost as cars running closer to sea level. This is due to turbo limitations. I don't think there is really much more to it than that. You can try to change your DVs and check for leaks but running a car at .75 atmosphere is going to take its toll in the power department. The highest altitude testing i've personally done is 4000-4500' and it was clear that the absolute pressure targets dropped substantially. At 6000', i can only imagine it dropping more. With ever increasing altitude, it will eventually get to a point where a stock car, v1 and v2 car all run the same boost because the turbos are essentially out of juice at that point.

Shiv

Thanks for the reply shiv, just a quick question when you look at the dyno i posted in the first post, does the AFR look ok i thought it might be running a little lean?

Secondly i find it strage that M&M with V1.47 is holding a solid boost graph when im with V2 am not. We a the same altitude so we should have the same limitations but it seems V1.47 gets higher boost than mine and holds it longer without droping off. That is why i thought it might be the DV's. If the different versions were seeing the same limitations i would understand but V1.47 is boosting higher than i can achieve with even 100% settings and not dropping off as sharply as mine is.

What do you think it could be? Can we in the future supply an high altitude map for us poor guys up here? Or is it the DV's

Here are some pics of the dyno and both my runs first from this afternoon and from tonight, shows the dip at 4000 being fixed by adding a little 98 RON.
Attached Images

Last edited by ThomasMartin; 01-08-2008 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 02:06 PM   #37
ThomasMartin
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
He has downpipes and a cat-back and you don't? And you confirmed that running 100% on pump gas was a bad idea?

Shiv
The dyno i posted was without his DP and catback, he had V1.47 and thats it no aquamist or anything else! I had V2.0.2 and K&N drop in filter!

He now has DP's and catback the dyno i compared to my run this afternoon was when he didnt have any other mods besides V1.47
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 02:07 PM   #38
e.n335
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the reply shiv, just a quick question when you look at the dyno i posted in the first post, does the AFR look ok i thought it might be running a little lean?

Secondly i find it strage that M&M with V1.47 is holding a solid boost graph when im with V2 am not. We a the same altitude so we should have the same limitations but it seems V1.47 gets higher boost than mine and holds it longer without droping off. That is why i thought it might be the DV's. If the different versions were seeing the same limitations i would understand but V1.47 is boosting higher than i can achieve with even 100% settings and not dropping off as sharply as mine is.

What do you think it could be? Can we in the future supply an high altitude map for us poor guys up here? Or is it the DV's

Here are some pics of the dyno and my last run compared to my run this afternoon, shows the dip at 4000 being fixed.
Knocking and timing retard. A knocking v2.0.2 is as strong as a good v1.47.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 02:14 PM   #39
ThomasMartin
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.n335 View Post
Knocking and timing retard. A knocking v2.0.2 is as strong as a good v1.47.

The timing was retarded after peak torque and power so it would not have mad a difference to peak numbers.

The reason im confused is that V1.47 boosts more than me and maintains that boost longer. And we just prooved that altitude is not the problem relating to boost as his car is boosting and maintaining boost more than my V2 at 100% even when i add some race fuel. And after 5500 RPM it even makes less power with the race fuel in when my first run only had 95 RON??

Shiv do you think it could be the DV's or a boost leak?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 02:17 PM   #40
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The timing was retarded after peak torque and power so it would not have mad a difference to peak numbers.

The reason im confused is that V1.47 boosts more than me and maintains that boost longer. And we just prooved that altitude is not the problem relating to boost as his car is boosting and maintaining boost more than my V2 at 100%
What you really proved is that you ran too much boost for the given octane and the car responded with knock retard. Knock retard in the midrange will have an effect on top end power, btw.

We can look at the other car as a comparison for only so long. I'd be more interesting in seeing v1 compared to v1 in your car. With the recommended settings.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 02:19 PM   #41
e.n335
Austria
Rep

Quote:

The reason im confused is that V1.47 boosts more than me and maintains that boost longer. And we just prooved that altitude is not the problem relating to boost as his car is boosting and maintaining boost more than my V2 at 100%
Ok.

Could you PLEASE do me a favour and install V2 EXACTLY how I described it for you. Use 98 100% RON gas, this is no race gas at all. When you will not be satisfied, let's discuss again.

Posting #23

Thanks,
Eugen
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 02:20 PM   #42
Lane
Several N54 cars, V1,3, V2.0.2, and V3.1
Rep
Drives: N54s

V2 at default settings has similar boost and safety level as V1. Both should be ok on 91 oct. What is the reason for you guys to believe V2 is making more power than V1? As far as the boost and safety level are the same where would the additional power come from?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 02:24 PM   #43
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lane View Post
V2 at default settings has similar boost and safety level as V1. Both should be ok on 91 oct. What is the reason for you guys to believe V2 is making more power than V1? As far as the boost and safety level are the same where would the additional power come from?
Peak boost is similar. But high rpm boost is much less tapered with v2. By redline there is a 2-3psi difference between v1 and v2. There are also changes to fuel and timing. But the difference in boost is most easily recognizable by a casual observer. This, of course, changes in extreme altitudes as we then are dealing with mechanical limitations of the turbos.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 02:36 PM   #44
ThomasMartin
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Peak boost is similar. But high rpm boost is much less tapered with v2. By redline there is a 2-3psi difference between v1 and v2. There are also changes to fuel and timing. But the difference in boost is most easily recognizable by a casual observer. This, of course, changes in extreme altitudes as we then are dealing with mechanical limitations of the turbos.

Shiv
Firstly let me say im not unhappy with V2 im just confused why between 4000-6000 my car is dropping boost more than M&M's V1.47. Im not saying im unhappy im just trying to trouble shoot by asking if there might be something wrong like a boost leak or DV's. V1.47 shouldnt be able to boost more than V2 at 100% at the same altitude and keep that boost longer. thats why i think something might be leaking. I just spoke to M&M he is going to post his boost log, it stays in a straight line all the way and doesnt drop at all. ill ost mine as comparison. Mine boosts higher peak but drops like a log. And now im running higher octane than him!!
Appreciate 0