E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Got hit by a 7 series. Anyone know the car or owner?

04-13-2012, 11:07 PM   #1
loki7177
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90

Got hit by a 7 series. Anyone know the car or owner?

I was driving home from work tonight. I was making a left turn from Van Dam Street on to Borden Ave (495 service road). I was in the middle lane on Van Dam and was turning on to the right lane on Borden when the car behind me tried to overtake me from the outside during the turn. His driver side or rear fender swiped my front passenger fender, mirror, and front bumper. The damage is pretty minor but there are scratches and a dent. This happened at approximately 10:15 pm. He was driving an older 7 series sedan. It was dark blue. I am pretty sure it was a 750il but could have been a 740 or something like that. I honked at him but he wouldn't stop. I wanted to confront him at the red light on Borden but it turned green as soon as we came to a stop. He fleeted as soon as he got the opportunity. It wasn't worth pursuing as I knew he was not stopping. The only thing I got was his license plate. It is FHY-4089. If anyone has any info on this car or the owner please PM me. Thanks.

Last edited by loki7177; 04-15-2012 at 08:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 12:01 AM   #2
SS e93
Captain
Rep
Drives: e93 M3

http://lifehacker.com/5900349/learn-...-google-search

Try the techniques listed there.

Also if they were NY plates, it should be 3 letters, then 4 numbers.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 02:45 AM   #3
RevC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: a couple fast toys

ive been through this, here you go http://www.pwof.org/out_of_state/New...ork%20mv15.pdf

SGM e92 335xi|Helix|AFE|AWE|PROCEDE|SYNAPSE|ER|OSS|BMW PERFORMANCE|P3|always growing..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 08:05 AM   #4
loki7177
Private First Class
Rep

icyhot, thx for that. It was a NY plate so what I have is wrong. One of my passengers wrote it down. Now I have to see if any of them remember it.

ReC, thx, were you able to find the owner and have their insurance cover your repairs?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 08:11 AM   #5
Point N Shoot
Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Left Foot & Right Foot

Contact police, make a report for hit in run,
if you license plate is accurate, its a wrap from
then on..
http://photowithart.com/
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #6
SS e93
Captain
Rep
Drives: e93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Point N Shoot View Post
then on..
To file a police report the damage must be over $500. I had an incident where I was rear ended, with basically no damage but I called the police anyway. Driver fled and almost ran me over. By the time the police got to me they said police reports are only made if significant damage, and even so it becomes a he said she said. They ran the plates I gave them, but it was registered to a female (it was a male driver who probably didn't have a license).
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #7
RevC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by icyhot e92 View Post
To file a police report the damage must be over $500. I had an incident where I was rear ended, with basically no damage but I called the police anyway. Driver fled and almost ran me over. By the time the police got to me they said police reports are only made if significant damage, and even so it becomes a he said she said. They ran the plates I gave them, but it was registered to a female (it was a male driver who probably didn't have a license).
hmm..only in NY..

Quote:
then on..
this
Quote:
Originally Posted by loki7177 View Post
icyhot, thx for that. It was a NY plate so what I have is wrong. One of my passengers wrote it down. Now I have to see if any of them remember it.

ReC, thx, were you able to find the owner and have their insurance cover your repairs?
i didn't personally but the police and the insurance company sure did, the problem is you cant prove who was driving the car, that's when it becames a pita ask me how i know, the registered driver/insurer of that car is going to be held liable unless otherwise noted--just like the above member said. on the odd chance i lend my car to someone, it's someone i trust and if it was ever stolen i would report it within hours, that way it's on record and i can't be held liable if my car is used in a hit and run.

SGM e92 335xi|Helix|AFE|AWE|PROCEDE|SYNAPSE|ER|OSS|BMW PERFORMANCE|P3|always growing..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 07:50 AM   #8
Squintz82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 TiAg E92 335i

Quote:
then on..
Everything but it being a "wrap" is true. Police won't do much if the driver can't be identified well, nor if there is matching damage. Otherwise anyone could make a false "hit and run" claim on anyone else with a plate number. It's a bigger pain than you think.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 08:58 AM   #9
loki7177
Private First Class
Rep

I called the 108th up but according to them if you leave the scene of the accident there is no use in filing a police report. If you want them to check for plates or partial plates it must be done when they show up at the scene of the accident. Live and learn I guess. Next time, hopefully there won't be a next time I will just stay and call the cops then.

Now it is in the hands of Geico. They will check the plate with the DMV. I will find out in a few days.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 09:16 AM   #10
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki7177 View Post
I called the 108th up but according to them if you leave the scene of the accident there is no use in filing a police report. If you want them to check for plates or partial plates it must be done when they show up at the scene of the accident. Live and learn I guess. Next time, hopefully there won't be a next time I will just stay and call the cops then.

Now it is in the hands of Geico. They will check the plate with the DMV. I will find out in a few days.
Sounds to me like you're down the same road as me.

In my previous 2000 CR-V. Brother parked it at some convenience store and got hit on the passenger side by someone that swung too wide while pulling in or out of the parking space next to him.

He doesn't notice because the store entrance is by the drivers side so he didn't see anything having to do with the passenger side. He gets home and I notice the damage to the passenger side door. We try police and they say the same thing they told you. We try our insurance and say we can't do anything about it since he left the scene, where anything could have happened in that time, unless its caught on video. OF COURSE, the store's camera does not cover the area shown, so I end up leaving the damage on my car as I don't feel like paying an Arm and Leg for the repair out of pocket.

My lesson learned: Don't leave the accident, cover your ass in case of hit and run drivers, and bring something like this up with your insurance company before it happens.

I hope your insurance handles it better than mine did.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #11
Alpine Whiteboy
Jerry's Fault...
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi M-Sport SGM

Sucks but I would have just chased the asshole long enough till I get his plate number accurately...

Martino*Auto*Concepts
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 12:48 PM   #12
RevC
Lieutenant General
Rep

oh god..geico..gl my man. its up to them now.

Appreciate 0