E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Iphone 4 adaptor

02-04-2011, 11:35 AM   #23
Sir_Pigley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 640d GC / 420i XDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnsleyshaun View Post
If that is a standard 3.5 Aux and 12v cig lighter would that not fit any car?
It looks like it, but I would advise checking that it supports charging of the iPhone4 before buying.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 02:03 PM   #24
thess
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

Iphone can be charged using the usb port which is located next to AUX in port.
The only issue is that you can either use your iphone as a music storage device or a phone it will not support both at the same time.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 09:07 PM   #25
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by thess View Post
Iphone can be charged using the usb port which is located next to AUX in port.
The only issue is that you can either use your iphone as a music storage device or a phone it will not support both at the same time.

So i cant have a iphone 4 connected and a seperate ipod connected by the y cable? will the music stop if i have incoming call?? do u mean i can either choose ipod and it will disables the iphone 4 and vice versa?

i just want the iphone 4 to sync ( and charge) to the car whilst still have my ipod playing music and if a call comes in, i want the idrive to interrupt the music playing and i get the option to recieve the call...

sorry if i dun sound like a bmw owner..just got my car yesterday and waiting for it to be collected lol
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 03:25 AM   #26
Spoonhead
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

That's how it works. The phone connected via blutooth will mute the radio/music while you take the call. And iPod attached via the USB port and AUX with the Y cable will carry on the music at the lower sound. There is now an option 6NF that allows music to be played frm the adaptor

Quote:
BMW, the first automaker to provide Apple iPod integration and factory Bluetooth mobile phone connectivity, announced it will add Smartphone Integration (option 6NF) starting with October 2008 production. The new option will be available in the X5, X6,1er, 3er, and 6er Series.

Owners of a variety of smartphones, such as the Apple iPhone, will benefit from Smartphone Integration. The smartphone option not only charges the phone but allows access to any music or MP3 files stored on the phone. It also improves telephone reception by reducing radio wave interference. It does not conflict with BMW's iPod/USB (6FL) option but rather is complementary.

Smartphone Integration means that the driver doesn't have to connect his mobile phone with integrated MP3 player to the USB audio interface. It can remain in the special snap-in adapter in the center console. Previously, in order to play music from a smartphone, the driver would have to remove the phone from the standard snap-in adapter - if in use - and plug the phone into the car's USB audio interface (6FL option).

In addition, you can have a separate MP3 player plugged into the USB audio interface and listen to music from that. If both are plugged in, the device attached to the USB connection will take priority but unplugging the USB device will return control to the smartphone.

A separate snap-in adapter is required. BMW said it will announce smartphone support shortly.
Gazza
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 04:23 AM   #27
peatzwaterman
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 318d ES E90 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzared_typer View Post
That's how it works. The phone connected via blutooth will mute the radio/music while you take the call. And iPod attached via the USB port and AUX with the Y cable will carry on the music at the lower sound. There is now an option 6NF that allows music to be played frm the adaptor

Gazza
But you can only spec 6nf now with the navigation option, they withdrew it from non satnav conditions last September.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 07:33 AM   #28
Spoonhead
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by peatzwaterman View Post
But you can only spec 6nf now with the navigation option, they withdrew it from non satnav conditions last September.
I see. Didn't know that. Thanks

Gazza
      05-22-2011, 02:39 AM   #29
phil3103
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 / E46M3

Can I ask what the can cooler is that's referred too early in this chat? Is it a standard option or an after-market piece of kit? Sounds interesting either way.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 03:31 AM   #30
ghosty
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 335d se

Garage List
2008 335d SE  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil3103 View Post
Can I ask what the can cooler is that's referred too early in this chat? Is it a standard option or an after-market piece of kit? Sounds interesting either way.
It's just a switch in the armrest that allows cool air from the climate (if you have ut set on cooling on a hit day) to enter the arm rest and thus cool a can that is sitting in the hole where the iPod is situated.

It used to be standard as it was just an on off slider switch that opens a vent for the climate, but I can't remember if it's one of the little things that got deleted in the lci. So it might be that the older cars have it but recent ones won't..?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 04:24 AM   #31
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: Blah

As the question has been asked,I would seriously consider a Kensington liquid aux for the I phone/pod (works well with the ip4).
It basically plugs into the cigarette lighter and into the aux socket.This allows the iPhone to be charged whilst playing through the aux socket.
You also get a small remote that can be mounted anywhere (comes in a holder than can be attached to the steering wheel or gear stick).
The remote will operate the iPhone whilst it's nicely hidden within the centre console.
You can also buy the lux version which comes with an iPhone/pod cradle.
Amazon is the cheapest outlet-about £12.

Last edited by Billyray911; 05-22-2011 at 11:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 02:18 PM   #32
FPO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 LCI E92 335d M-Sport

On my 2011 e92 my iphone is plugged into the car with just an ipod usb cable and can play music and pickup calls without any problems. Music - USB and Phone - Bluetooth.

Is this something that couldn't be done on previous models?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 02:37 PM   #33
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: Blah

Talking about my car,I have Bluetooth via the idrive but don't have a USB-only a 3.5mm jack.
Therefore,I can only plug my iPhone into the car to play music via the 3.5mm jack.
Maybe an age thing-mine is a 56 plate 335d.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 09:06 AM   #34
Muz
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 320D MSport Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopersim View Post
Out of interest where is the switch for the can cooler? It seems to be blocked off?

say what now!

I have a silly little switch there, it it for literally cooling your can?!?!?!?
      05-24-2011, 01:39 PM   #35
ibanezking
Weekend Rockstar
England
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muz View Post
say what now!

I have a silly little switch there, it it for literally cooling your can?!?!?!?
yes, Special Brew is much nicer when cold................