E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Harry's Lap Timer + GoPro + DashWare

03-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
acj75
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Harry's Lap Timer + GoPro + DashWare

I spent some time today working in DashWare and created some custom gauges based on the M3. DashWare is a nifty program that lets you combine telemetry data recorded on Harry's Lap Timer Pro with external video, GoPro in my case.

It took me quite a while to figure out how to set up all the inputs and photoshop out the needle from the speedo, etc. I see now that I left some rough edges along the top of the gauge, and I messed up my G force plot. I'll go back and polish it up later, but I'm pretty happy with this first attempt. I now have a good understanding of how to make it all work.

I can literally make fully customized, functioning gauges for overlay for any car. Pretty cool.

Check it out and let me know what you think...any suggestions of a better layout, etc?

Edit: By the way, I couldn't add the RPMs because I don't have OBD2 access in Harry's Lap Timer. Also, I used the Autocross function in Harry's to create a quick "track" around my neighborhood.

Last edited by acj75; 03-01-2012 at 05:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 07:14 PM   #2
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

Looks nice but I'd think you want to display what's useful in the Dashware layout. If you can't get RPM info, there's no point blocking the screen with a large non-functional display. And unless you have an //M, I don't see that point either. This may be useful to the //M track forum though.

I've remapped the Dashware speedo to align with the gauges in my car BTW for video comparison purposes, otherwise the templates are very useful out of the box
For in-dash or out-of-car displays, transparent templates work well, if you're displaying the car interior (to note hand position etc), then you have lots of real-estate for solid displays.
Appreciate 0