E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > HPF Feramic Clutch

09-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #45
guidance
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
I also had a Clutch Masters FX300 for a few weeks. Slipped in high gear, lots of juddering in engagement.

Threw it out a few weeks a go, HPF Feramice stage 1 it is now. Still judders at engagement, but no slippage at all. Stock flywheel.

Alpina_B3_Lux
There was the slightest judder that happened randomly only the first few days after I installed the HPF. The only time I can make the clutch judder now is when rolling at 5 mph and try pulling away slowly in 2nd.

Efforts to improve drivetrain smoothness has enabled sloppy MT shifting. While I like the smoothness of a DMF, the CDV and OEM clutch will mask sloppy shifting. Driving a clutch that you can feather to pull away slowly in traffic and grabs firm when fully engaged is a sweet thing!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #46
HPF Chris
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i & 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidance View Post
Thanks Chris,

When I spoke to a HPF sales guy in early April (sorry don't remember his name) he stated in no uncertain terms the feramic will weld when drag racing & that he done it himself in a non N54 car and suggested to go twin disc. I went w/ a Clutch Masters FX300 and it lasted 2 months & 1 pass at the strip before it was totally gone. I mean no torque at all, go home on a flatbed.

Still allured by the feramic I spoke w/ Erik who explained only one N54 welded because it wasn't broken in and assured me it would be right for drag racing & tracking. So I installed & broke in your Stage 2 feramic w/ a new DMF a month ago, tracked it all last weekend. Very happy so far & it feels as close to stock.

Yes, I read your 7 ways to fuse a clutch. Just looking for some first hand feedback on N54's w/ a HPF feramic since I'm going to the strip this month. Will be letting it rip w/ some MT drag radials and "Ernies Towing" number on speed dial.
Glad to hear it. Keep us posted on the times you get with the MT drag radials. It's amazing the HPF Feramic holds so much power considering it is so easy to drive with. After driving with twin disk and triple disk clutches this clutch is a savior for those that daily drive their cars especially in stop and go traffic and hilly areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runthis View Post
I've done about 10-15 passes at the strip, and no issues with my feramics clutch.
Sweet. What times are you running?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidance View Post
There was the slightest judder that happened randomly only the first few days after I installed the HPF. The only time I can make the clutch judder now is when rolling at 5 mph and try pulling away slowly in 2nd.

Efforts to improve drivetrain smoothness has enabled sloppy MT shifting. While I like the smoothness of a DMF, the CDV and OEM clutch will mask sloppy shifting. Driving a clutch that you can feather to pull away slowly in traffic and grabs firm when fully engaged is a sweet thing!
The best way to remove the chatter on engagement is to bring the rpms up just a little when leaving from a stop. Once you do this a few times the chatter will go away. Sometimes people drive an aftermarket clutch like an OEM clutch and idle away from a stop. This is possible with the HPF feramic but might take a few days before it has an OEM like engagement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
I also had a Clutch Masters FX300 for a few weeks. Slipped in high gear, lots of juddering in engagement.

Threw it out a few weeks a go, HPF Feramice stage 1 it is now. Still judders at engagement, but no slippage at all. Stock flywheel.

Alpina_B3_Lux
Sounds good. Raise the revs a little when leaving from a stop and let me know if it smooths out.

Chris.

Last edited by HPF Chris; 09-05-2012 at 08:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 09:33 AM   #47
guidance
Private
United_States
Rep

Here's my review on the HPF Feramic Stg.2.
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17585
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 02:23 PM   #48
jayzF30
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 335i, '09 M3

There goes that promise that they don't weld i was hoping to run this clutch after my OEM but now I think it'll be a SPEC clutch instead
      10-29-2012, 12:21 AM   #49
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazze90 View Post
There goes that promise that they don't weld i was hoping to run this clutch after my OEM but now I think it'll be a SPEC clutch instead
Hmmm, Well with everything there will be trade offs. I never plan on mounting drag Radials and drag racing my car, but I do plan on daily driving it with the occasional track day (road course). I got a stage 1 set to be installed Wednesday.
2007 E92 6MT SGM: MusicarNW Level 2, Procede Rev 2.5, FFTEC/Vishnu LPFP with Flexfuel Sensor and Flash, M3 Offset V701's, WaveTrac LSD, Michelin PSS, Downpipes, M3 Control Arms, TCKline D/A Suspension, LCI Tail lights, Lux AE's, ER Charge Pipe, DCI's, Mtech Front and Rear, M3 Sideskirts, HPF Stage 1 Clutch
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 10:06 AM   #50
tres
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 335is 6MT

I Was Looking Into Getting The Hpf Kit Guess I Will Have To Keep Looking
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 07:01 PM   #51
guidance
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazze90 View Post
I bet it will be a good move. HPF steered me away from only one brand, SPEC.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 09:30 AM   #52
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335i

Any response from HPF on here? I've got a stage 2 in mine and that review is slightly worried considering it cost me close to $1600 including shipping and taxes.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #53
HPF Chris
Lieutenant
Rep

We now have 24 of these clutches on the road. It's important to note that clutches can be fused but they have to get really hot. This particular clutch friction material doesn't melt until 1600 degrees F. This clutch is made of the same material that is in our E46 M3 and Supra and Viper clutches. The downside is the pressure plate and disk are smaller in diameter in the 335i. We are still able to get 2680 ft-lbs of clamp load and a disk that engages like butter. But if you do long burnouts and engage the clutch over a long period of time it is possible to fuse the clutch. It is important that you do a 300 mile break in before you do heavy drag racing. For normal driving and mild launches the clutch really needs no break-in whatsoever.

Chris.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 10:51 PM   #54
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Chris View Post
We now have 24 of these clutches on the road. It's important to note that clutches can be fused but they have to get really hot. This particular clutch friction material doesn't melt until 1600 degrees F. This clutch is made of the same material that is in our E46 M3 and Supra and Viper clutches. The downside is the pressure plate and disk are smaller in diameter in the 335i. We are still able to get 2680 ft-lbs of clamp load and a disk that engages like butter. But if you do long burnouts and engage the clutch over a long period of time it is possible to fuse the clutch. It is important that you do a 300 mile break in before you do heavy drag racing. For normal driving and mild launches the clutch really needs no break-in whatsoever.

Chris.

FFTEC just installed mine (yes their eyes rolled a lot) and I just passed 250 miles of Primarily San Francisco City Driving and stop and go, and the thing engages JUST LIKE STOCK but slightly shorter and maaaaybe 20% stiffer if that, which I actually like. I can actually release the clutch slowly at idle and it will engage just like the stock clutch.

I don't drag race and do about 2 HPDE/year. So far I Have ZERO regrets on this product.

The misfires on my N54 on the other hand....Shiv has my car and will hopefully have this resolved shortly.

Chris, can I assume WOT on the freeway is good to go at this point?
2007 E92 6MT SGM: MusicarNW Level 2, Procede Rev 2.5, FFTEC/Vishnu LPFP with Flexfuel Sensor and Flash, M3 Offset V701's, WaveTrac LSD, Michelin PSS, Downpipes, M3 Control Arms, TCKline D/A Suspension, LCI Tail lights, Lux AE's, ER Charge Pipe, DCI's, Mtech Front and Rear, M3 Sideskirts, HPF Stage 1 Clutch
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #55
HPF Chris
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec500 View Post
FFTEC just installed mine (yes their eyes rolled a lot) and I just passed 250 miles of Primarily San Francisco City Driving and stop and go, and the thing engages JUST LIKE STOCK but slightly shorter and maaaaybe 20% stiffer if that, which I actually like. I can actually release the clutch slowly at idle and it will engage just like the stock clutch.

I don't drag race and do about 2 HPDE/year. So far I Have ZERO regrets on this product.

The misfires on my N54 on the other hand....Shiv has my car and will hopefully have this resolved shortly.

Chris, can I assume WOT on the freeway is good to go at this point?
I'm glad to hear it. The San Francisco city hills need a smooth engaging clutch for sure. With the HPF Feramic you can go WOT from the minute you install it. If you're going to drag race with it make sure you do the 300 mile break-in first.

Chris.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #56
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Chris View Post
I'm glad to hear it. The San Francisco city hills need a smooth engaging clutch for sure. With the HPF Feramic you can go WOT from the minute you install it. If you're going to drag race with it make sure you do the 300 mile break-in first.

Chris.
Appreciate 0