E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Stumped - maybe you're smarter than I am

03-24-2014, 09:18 PM   #1
mmurray
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Stumped - maybe you're smarter than I am

You probably are. I've been chasing a code for months now, and AutoX season is creeping up. Trying to figure out the source of a P0012/1554 error and avoid going broke in the process.

I've cleaned the VANOS solenoids, and replaced the exhaust valve. I'm within the build dates for a bad camshaft bearing ledge (from what I could find), but haven't found any info with those codes associated with that issue.

The named error (0012) reads 'Intake Camshaft Position Timing - Over Retarded (Bank 1)'. Could that be a sensor error? Any way to check before springing for $$$ sensor replacements? (and a PITA install). Just need some troubleshooting help and the shop in my area won't even pick up the phone.

Any pointers appreciated - thanks!

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 09:32 PM   #2
Seanzie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 6MT

I recently got my eccentric sensor replaced while my valve cover gaskets were being changed. My Indy said that these are things to consider replacing as a preventative maintenance item, especially when you already have the valve cover off.

Considering that we have a timing chain that won't slip (I'm pretty sure), I'd say it's very likely that it's your sensor and not something wrong with your camshaft.

Best of luck and let us know what it is when you've figured it out!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 09:46 PM   #3
mmurray
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanzie View Post
I recently got my eccentric sensor replaced while my valve cover gaskets were being changed. My Indy said that these are things to consider replacing as a preventative maintenance item, especially when you already have the valve cover off.

Considering that we have a timing chain that won't slip (I'm pretty sure), I'd say it's very likely that it's your sensor and not something wrong with your camshaft.

Best of luck and let us know what it is when you've figured it out!
Sounds like that may be in my near future... I'm running out of ideas. If you don't mind me asking, how much did that trip (gaskets, sensor, labor) cost you out the door?

I'm reading this thread and the idea of $2,000 over $500 kinda makes me want to learn how to tear it down and replace myself.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=697252

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 10:04 PM   #4
scotty_miller
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2003.5 E46 M3

Try and replace your intake vanos. I had the exact codes you did, replaced exhaust and intake vanos and codes disappeared and haven't come back on since
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 10:15 PM   #5
mmurray
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty_miller View Post
Try and replace your intake vanos. I had the exact codes you did, replaced exhaust and intake vanos and codes disappeared and haven't come back on since
Yeah I guess I might as well before I start digging deeper, but I did swap positions the first time I cleaned them and the one code jumped from 1552 to 1554 (intake to exhaust or so I thought).

You had the p0012 as well?

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 10:19 PM   #6
scotty_miller
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmurray View Post
Yeah I guess I might as well before I start digging deeper, but I did swap positions the first time I cleaned them and the one code jumped from 1552 to 1554 (intake to exhaust or so I thought).

You had the p0012 as well?
Yep haha I got a real weird idle sometimes like the car wanted to stall. Replaced both because I got a p0012/ p0015 code two different times both went away and everything went back to normal
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 10:24 PM   #7
mmurray
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yep haha I got a real weird idle sometimes like the car wanted to stall. Replaced both because I got a p0012/ p0015 code two different times both went away and everything went back to normal
Awesome thanks, fingers crossed let's hope another new solenoid helps.

Did you ever get a p1552/1554? I had those before the 0012 popped up but I'm hoping they're related, not separate issues (that eccentric shaft sensor DIY looks like a day full of sore knuckles and bruised egos)

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 08:59 AM   #8
scotty_miller
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Awesome thanks, fingers crossed let's hope another new solenoid helps.

Did you ever get a p1552/1554? I had those before the 0012 popped up but I'm hoping they're related, not separate issues (that eccentric shaft sensor DIY looks like a day full of sore knuckles and bruised egos)
Yep I had those too hahah go figure... on the scanner it showed up p0012/p1552 and p0015/ p1554 and like I said they went away when I replaced both solenoids.... Keep us updated
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 09:17 AM   #9
mmurray
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yep I had those too hahah go figure... on the scanner it showed up p0012/p1552 and p0015/ p1554 and like I said they went away when I replaced both solenoids.... Keep us updated
Will do - just ordered another solenoid this morning.

Here's a dumb question though: I cleaned/ replaced in the past while doing an oil change with the logic that there'd be less to spill, but can I swap with a wet engine? (no oil drain)

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 09:21 AM   #10
scotty_miller
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Will do - just ordered another solenoid this morning.

Here's a dumb question though: I cleaned/ replaced in the past while doing an oil change with the logic that there'd be less to spill, but can I swap with a wet engine? (no oil drain)
No harm in doing it with a wet engine, that's how I did mine. Just a little more oil comes out of the solenoids so just have a rag handy to put underneath them as you pull them out. Also I heard Chevron Techron fuel cleaner is a good way to keep the solenoids healthy so I dump a bottle every 2000 miles
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 09:39 AM   #11
mmurray
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No harm in doing it with a wet engine, that's how I did mine. Just a little more oil comes out of the solenoids so just have a rag handy to put underneath them as you pull them out. Also I heard Chevron Techron fuel cleaner is a good way to keep the solenoids healthy so I dump a bottle every 2000 miles
Cool thanks. I just started a liqui-moly engine renewal schedule too so hopefully that helps.

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 06:01 PM   #12
mmurray
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well... I popped the new one in this morning, and 2 new solenoids later I'm still getting the same two codes. I guess this brings me to the camshaft bearing ledge or eccentric shaft sensor but I'm really guessing now, plus those are a teardown I'm not sure I'm ready for just yet.

Any other ideas?

Also, anyone with knowhow in the South Jersey area would be a huge help - the one shop I've heard recommended isn't returning calls. Stuck for now and autocross season is fast approaching.

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 09:22 AM   #13
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Well... I popped the new one in this morning, and 2 new solenoids later I'm still getting the same two codes. I guess this brings me to the camshaft bearing ledge or eccentric shaft sensor but I'm really guessing now, plus those are a teardown I'm not sure I'm ready for just yet.

Any other ideas?

Also, anyone with knowhow in the South Jersey area would be a huge help - the one shop I've heard recommended isn't returning calls. Stuck for now and autocross season is fast approaching.
Bimmerworks in south east PA would be the goto choice. Only real downside is that their level of proficiency has made them pretty popular and there is usually a bit of a wait.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 06:16 PM   #14
freon480
12:34
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 325xi

Do you do your own oil changes? I had a car comeinto shop last week w same code. Another shop had replaced the solenoids already. If you unscrew the oil filter cap and pull out filter the filter should be attached to shaft on cap. Ive had a few cars come in where the shaft was broken off or removed and filter was just sitting in housing. This causes oil pressure ussues that will trigger vanos codes. I know its a long a shot especially on models w bearing ledger issues but def worth looking into seeing as ive seen it before when oil changes are done by valvoline or other quick lube places.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 09:27 PM   #15
mmurray
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freon480 View Post
Do you do your own oil changes? I had a car comeinto shop last week w same code. Another shop had replaced the solenoids already. If you unscrew the oil filter cap and pull out filter the filter should be attached to shaft on cap. Ive had a few cars come in where the shaft was broken off or removed and filter was just sitting in housing. This causes oil pressure ussues that will trigger vanos codes. I know its a long a shot especially on models w bearing ledger issues but def worth looking into seeing as ive seen it before when oil changes are done by valvoline or other quick lube places.
Yep I do my own oil changes and the filter housing/cap are fine. Thanks though - I'm coming to grips with the fact that bearing ledge might be the culprit.

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 09:48 PM   #16
RemovedUser
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Change the camshaft position sensors, I replaced the solenoid on the affected side didn't go away the camshaft sensor fixed it, expensive 100 a piece but easy install.

Change the intake cam position sensor clear the code.

bearing ledge issue is not common
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 06:23 PM   #17
mmurray
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by index1489 View Post
Change the camshaft position sensors, I replaced the solenoid on the affected side didn't go away the camshaft sensor fixed it, expensive 100 a piece but easy install.

Change the intake cam position sensor clear the code.

bearing ledge issue is not common
I'm still a little unfamiliar, and have been kind of learning through this guide... when you say camshaft sensor, what do you mean?

Can you link me to an example? I replaced both solenoids at 100 a pop, and looks like the eccentric shaft sensor could be another possible cause but idk.

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 02:26 PM   #18
pinoye90
Banned
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 07-E90

It's so easy do it yourself and take your time. the hardest part is getting your valve cover out and the rear valve cover bolts. I did it myself it took me 1 day cause I took my time. I did cut the corner of ECU holder bucket near the back left corner facing the valve cover gasket to make room when removing the valve cover other than that it was a piece of cake. Pelican has a great do it yourself step by step read before completing. I did not use any sealant for the gaskets you'll be fine
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 02:39 PM   #19
mmurray
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoye90 View Post
It's so easy do it yourself and take your time. the hardest part is getting your valve cover out and the rear valve cover bolts. I did it myself it took me 1 day cause I took my time. I did cut the corner of ECU holder bucket near the back left corner facing the valve cover gasket to make room when removing the valve cover other than that it was a piece of cake. Pelican has a great do it yourself step by step read before completing. I did not use any sealant for the gaskets you'll be fine
Are you talking about the position sensor, or something else? Just found this pelican DIY for the position sensor which doesn't seem relatively as bad:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech..._Replacing.htm

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 02:41 PM   #20
pinoye90
Banned
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 07-E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmurray
Quote:
Are you talking about the position sensor, or something else? Just found this pelican DIY for the position sensor which doesn't seem relatively as bad:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech..._Replacing.htm
Yes pelican has everything for our cars and is from the manual!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 02:46 PM   #21
mmurray
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes pelican has everything for our cars and is from the manual!
Yeah I'm familiar with pelican - I was asking if that's the DIY you used, but I'm guessing you did the eccentric shaft sensor.

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 11:57 PM   #22
RemovedUser
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I doubt its the eccentric shaft sensor, its a lot of work and the sensor is expensive, I would do the cam position sensor its 100 bucks and a 5-10 min install.
Appreciate 0