E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 2007 E90 P0012 error

07-17-2012, 05:24 PM   #1
mskvarenina
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

2007 E90 P0012 error

I was driving home tonight and suddenly out of my rear-view mirror I saw a huge cloud of smoke appear from my car. Then it was fine and rode for another 5 miles.

As I turned into my driveway the car shut down and I rolled to a stop. I waited a few minutes, restarted the engine and read the codes.

Seems I'm getting a P0012 "Camshaft Position Actuator A Bank 1 Timing Over-Retard" error.

The car is running again normally but does seem to me making a clicking sound that I have not heard before.

Research on the web seems to indicate a possible faulty VANOS solenoid but I can't seem to find information where on my E90 the VANOS solenoid is.

Can anyone provide more information on this and the possible solutions?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #2
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486201

Follow that thread.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
mskvarenina
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 宝马.e90 View Post
Thanks. I went there first but did not recognize my egine because that post has some weird accordian filter where the oil filter is.

I see the solenoids now. It sounds like the car may turn off (like mine did) but if I pull over and restart/reset it, it may drive a while?

Folks are saying to swap the to pand bottom to see if the error codes change from top to bottom. That may help determine which (if any) is going bad but do you know if the P0012 code is for the upper or lower solenoid?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #4
mskvarenina
Private
Rep

Just for future reference, I removed both solenoids, blew them out with compressed air, replaced them in the engine, top to bottom and bottom to top, in other words reversing them and topped off the oil.

I've diven the car for about 6 hours since over 3 days and have not had a problem yet...
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 06:37 PM   #5
mars5887
Rep
Drives: 2007 328XI

Hello all,

I have a 2007 328xi and have this code showing up. I had a screeching sound coming from the passenger side center of the engine. As well as stalling and stuttering. I pulled VANOS solenoids cleaned them and switched them. Still have P0012. Replaced the Camshaft sensor took it out for a 10 min ride and car ran fine but I still have the P0012 code. Is this something I have to reset? I am using CarChip Pro to read codes.

Update: I just set the "reset Check Engine Light" on car chip started car and the screeching is back, seems like I have to change Eccentric Shaft Sensor?? Note the Eccentric Shaft Sensor is dry inside and not filled with oil. Could it be the Valvetronic Motor? Which one would you guys start with sensor or motor?

Thanks,
Rob

Last edited by mars5887; 01-08-2014 at 06:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 08:00 AM   #6
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mars5887 View Post
Hello all,

I have a 2007 328xi and have this code showing up. I had a screeching sound coming from the passenger side center of the engine. As well as stalling and stuttering. I pulled VANOS solenoids cleaned them and switched them. Still have P0012. Replaced the Camshaft sensor took it out for a 10 min ride and car ran fine but I still have the P0012 code. Is this something I have to reset? I am using CarChip Pro to read codes.

Update: I just set the "reset Check Engine Light" on car chip started car and the screeching is back, seems like I have to change Eccentric Shaft Sensor?? Note the Eccentric Shaft Sensor is dry inside and not filled with oil. Could it be the Valvetronic Motor? Which one would you guys start with sensor or motor?

Thanks,
Rob
How did you clean the Vanos solenoids? Most just use compressed air, but I have so far had great success using unleaded petrol to dip the ends in to soak for a while and agitating every so often to help clear out any oil sludge and muck. Then once all the petrol has dried off and evaporated I then dip the ends in some fresh engine oil (same as what is in the engine).

But as I am trying I have just remembered someone here with a similar screeching sound which could affect the timing and it turned out to be a deformed and twisted oil filter which was restricting oil flow to the solenoids and Vanos.

What makes you suspect the Eccentric shaft sensor or Valvetronic motor? I have just had my car's Valvetronic motor replaced a few weeks ago since it had a sluggish movement fault. I have also checked the plug on my Eccentric shaft sensor and it is bone dry, no oil even around the gasket on the valve cover!

I would inspect that oil filter to see if it is at all deformed or twisted, and if so replace it.

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 01:22 PM   #7
mars5887
Rep

Hey 330i,

Thanks for the reply. I pulled them and shot half a can of carb and choke cleaner through each of them. Then switched em and still got the same code. If it was the VANOS sol it should have followed the bad one, yes? P0012 was intake so I should see and exhaust code, right?

I had seen this thread about the screeching:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613808
Posted the entry here:
Quote:
The dealer called, the car is done,

a brief summary , I will know more once I speak with the mechanic ,

unrelated,-
they found several codes pointing to a stuck-open thermostat- it was replaced under CPO

related-
They found several codes pointing to a valvetronic issue.
The screeching noise they said came from the valvetronic motor. ( what!! )
after troubleshooting the issue by swapping out the valvetronic motor and sensors, they found a faulty eccentric shaft sensor. and that was causing both the noise and the idle/drivability issues

A couple concerns

I dont understand how this sensor failure could cause the valvetronic motor to squeal /screech like that, but I do understand now why it was not happening under throttle.

I also dont understand that if the motor was screeching that bad , how nothing in the motor was not damaged. As I am guessing the eccentric shaft sensor was telling the motor to go beyond its limits?? no idea ?

Any help with this would be great.

I do have a leaky oil filter plate gasket that I am going to change. I will change that, filter and oil and cross my fingers.

Last edited by mars5887; 01-09-2014 at 01:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 02:09 PM   #8
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
It does make sense that by moving the solenoids around the problem should follow.

I searched and found the thread that I was referring to regarding the deformed and twisted oil filter: [SOLVED] N52 whining noise

Do you mean the oil filter housing gasket?

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 04:11 PM   #9
mars5887
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three_thirty_I View Post
It does make sense that by moving the solenoids around the problem should follow.

I searched and found the thread that I was referring to regarding the deformed and twisted oil filter: [SOLVED] N52 whining noise

Do you mean the oil filter housing gasket?
Yeah.

I just listened to that, mine is much more screechy. LOL
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 05:15 PM   #10
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Hmm, very strange! I would replace that gasket sooner rather than later - potentially oil and coolant could start mixing depending on how and where it is leaking.

I gather this screeching noise is when the engine is idling? Probably gets worse when driving?

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 08:40 PM   #11
mars5887
Rep

The screeching doesn't not seem to be affected by rpm now that you mention it. IIRC

So xmas eve I drive 3 hours to family. When we started out I thought I heard a low whistle. I have been sweating the water pump since the summer so I was thinking maybe that's it. Put it in the back of my brain. About an hour in the yellow service engine light comes on car is running fine. I am thinking probably a plug and coil. Make an uneventful arrival.

Car sits till Day after xmas when I head home. I start out yellow light is on car seems ok. Get 3 hours down the road, 30 mins from home. Yellow light goes out. Get off highway due to traffic. First traffic light, service engine light comes back on. Next light she starts stuttering. Another light she stalls. Starts instantly, as long as I kept her rolling seemed ok. Stalled maybe 2 more times, started instantly both times. Make it home she quits in my driveway, first time it just died while moving. Starts right up pull into garage. The last 5 mins the screeching started.

Read the code P0012, intake cam retarded, I'll say. So I changed the water pump and tstat. Would have loved all the space the 2wd has lol. Cleaned VANOS sols and crossed fingers. Starts no problem, Yellow light is on. No screech.

So I take her up the road. Makes it 300 yards, turn around go other way 600 yards, go to turn around and she stalls. Starts right up, go about 100 yards screeching starts. Get her in the garage and was able to put a dowel on the alternator, pullys etc. to listen, all sounds normal. That's when I realize the screech is from the right side middle of the engine. Odd spot I think at the time (I didn't know there was an electric motor right there) thought shit that's bearing country. Bit relieved or hopeful when I saw the cam motor.

I think first thing is drain oil, pull filter and check for metal. Change the oil filter plate gasket. If I don't find metal, either way I guess lol, I'll pull valve cover, if all looks ok, change motor and sensor, might as well 100k and its open. Keep fingers crossed.

I'll continue to post results. I'll also see if I can get a recording of screeching for the record. Of course any thoughts or suggestions throughout are much welcomed.

Last edited by mars5887; 01-09-2014 at 08:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 12:45 AM   #12
mars5887
Rep

I recorded the screeching. It is not the camshaft motor. It does not increase with RPM. I'm starting to wonder if its not engine related...

Last edited by mars5887; 01-12-2014 at 01:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 08:14 PM   #13
mars5887
Rep

Finally got to replacing the valve cover. No more whistle. Still got a P0012. Think of my disappointment if this turns out to be the eccentric shaft sensor. Take 2 anyone?

http://mars58superstinker.wordpress....idays-and-bmw/
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 11:44 AM   #14
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Finally got to replacing the valve cover. No more whistle. Still got a P0012. Think of my disappointment if this turns out to be the eccentric shaft sensor. Take 2 anyone?

http://mars58superstinker.wordpress....idays-and-bmw/
Hmm, so the whistle is sorted now with the replaced valve cover gasket? Frustrating that the error still persists!!

That link doesn't work..

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 02:32 PM   #15
ice_nyne
Perpetual Kickdown Mode
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 N51 M Sport

I have the identical issue to what the OP describes, and my car exhibits the same whine captured in the audio clip. Was driving me crazy trying to diagnose what the root issue. Though my 328 is throwing codes related to eccentric valve sensor, the sensor plug and housing is totally void of oil. But it sounds like I have a sensor replacement in my future.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 10:07 PM   #16
Ian0611
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi

Quote:
I recorded the screeching. It is not the camshaft motor. It does not increase with RPM. I'm starting to wonder if its not engine related...

This is exactly how mine sounds and I'm also throwing the P0012. Are you still problem free after replacing the valve cover gasket? Does anyone know which camshaft is "A" and which sensor is "bank 1"?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 11:52 PM   #17
pinoye90
Banned
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 07-E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three_thirty_I
Quote:

http://mars58superstinker.wordpress....idays-and-bmw/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://mars58superst...s-and-bmw/</a>
Hmm, so the whistle is sorted now with the replaced valve cover gasket? Frustrating that the error still persists!!

That link doesn't work..
Vac-leak? You should try taking the oil cap off while car is running and seeing if that's where the whistle is coming from?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 09:06 AM   #18
geminimadman
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi metalic silver

code -0012

I was wondering what, if any, has been done to resolve this issue? I just got the p0012 code coming home from work the other day. Went by my buddy's shop to read/clear code. It cleared and remained off for a day or so. Today going to work it came back on (havent had time to read the code so assuming the same code). Car drives normal..for now but im supposed to head out of town on a fishing trip this afternoon

I guess this weekend first thing I should do is pull, clean and swap the solenoids? ...also my oil is about 3/4 on digital read out alll of a sudden...
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 06:12 PM   #19
chris89
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminimadman View Post
I was wondering what, if any, has been done to resolve this issue? I just got the p0012 code coming home from work the other day. Went by my buddy's shop to read/clear code. It cleared and remained off for a day or so. Today going to work it came back on (havent had time to read the code so assuming the same code). Car drives normal..for now but im supposed to head out of town on a fishing trip this afternoon

I guess this weekend first thing I should do is pull, clean and swap the solenoids? ...also my oil is about 3/4 on digital read out alll of a sudden...
did you ever figure out what the problem was ? i am also throwing code P0012,P0015,P0016,P0238 i already triee cleaning the vanos. were your vanos soenoids. bad??
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 07:17 PM   #20
tosaytheleased
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i

I changed both VANOS solenoids, spark plugs, ignition coils today and still have a P0012 code. RPMs also jump to 1000rpms at idle after driving.

HELP. lol
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 08:47 AM   #21
AnchorMgmt
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335XI, Dinan S3

P0012 Camshaft Position Sensor Changed...all good.

I had the P0012 code pop 15 minutes after I had WOT action. No other codes have popped. I got home and cleared it and ran her for about 100 miles w/no issues. I was heading to work for important meetings when it threw the code 20 miles from the house and went into limp mode...of course!! I changed the sensor (very easy with detailed description and pictures off Pelican Parts tech forums). The only weird blip I got was right after startup she burped and bounced RPM between .600 and .800 for about 10 seconds and then leveled out. I've put another 100 miles on her with some WOT action and I've been all good. The VANOS solenoid was changed 10k miles ago, along w/alternator, water pump, thermostat, etc..

I run an 08 335xi heavily modded w/Dinan S3 and other goodies.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 07:58 AM   #22
andrewbommer
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe

2007 E92 P0012 - self inflicted

Just wanted to add my experience here for others. I did my valve cover gasket and disconnected both cam position sensors and Vanos solenoids to make more wire harness room to get the valve cover out. During reassembly I swapped the vanos solenoids connections. Connectors are keyed the same and easily reach either solenoids. Got crappy idle, P0012, and check engine light. Took me a few hours to figure it out. Mark your connections when you dissemble. Don't be me and think you are smart enough to remember. :-)
Appreciate 0