E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast > Going FBO

08-24-2015, 01:17 AM   #1
Shakinbakin
Rep
Drives: E92 335i FBO+Meth

Going FBO

Long time lurker and first time poster here! So happy to find a great active community.

Let's get to the point.

I'm picking up a 2008 355i sport AT at the end of the month.
Funny thing is I've already purchased

JB4
VRSF DP's
ER charge pipe
ETS fmic
Injen intake
Snow performance stage 3 meth kit
Vanguard v2 catback exhaust

MTech front bumper
Arkym carbon lip

I am fairly young and have not had the luxury of growing up working on cars and have never worked on cars in the slightest before (other than a tire change lol)
I would love to install all these parts myself (downpipes are a maybe) not only to save some money but to also learn and be able to say "I did this to my car".

NOW MY DILEMMA:
I'm currently residing in a houston area apartment and lack not only knowledge but also tools for the job and a place to install my parts.
I have struck a find by locating a DIY shop on westimer that lets you rent a bay with a lift and tools for the day for $175. This seems to be an ideal solution.
However as I have expressed previously my lack of knowledge hinders my confidence to achieve the professional quality install I need to trust my car will become the beast im expecting. My lack of confidence is not solved by performance shops installing my components because, like I previously stated I will not learn the ins and outs of my parts in case something we're to go wrong (METH KIT!!!), and the whole goal is to learn a thing or two.

NOW MY QUESTION:
Should I bite the bullet and get a performance shop (heard good things about Eurocarwerks for performance and metro collision for bumper on this forum) to install my mods and sacrifice learning anything?

Or should I reference my stockpiled e90post Diy threads (often vague) and see what happens?

And what I feel would solve my issue completly. Would anyone in the Houston area take the time (for compensation of course ie pizza and cash lol) to work with me and help me install my parts so I can learn something and have quality work on my car?

Thanks in advance for any replies. Im eager to learn and im excited to be moving from a 2001 civic to a beast of a german made beauty 335i.

Feel free to shoot me a PM for responses and recommendations

Last edited by Shakinbakin; 08-24-2015 at 01:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 10:01 PM   #2
Shakinbakin
Rep

Bump
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 11:40 PM   #3
gdkalyanapu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e93 m3

Forum member Nivedh may be able to help you. Going with him would definitely be way cheaper than a shop. You can look him up in my contacts
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 02:50 AM   #4
Shakinbakin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdkalyanapu View Post
Forum member Nivedh may be able to help you. Going with him would definitely be way cheaper than a shop. You can look him up in my contacts
Thanks for the only help I got on this sub forum. Will definitely pm him now
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 10:30 AM   #5
terryd5150
Head Fry Cook at McBurgertown
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M-Sport 6MT

Congratulations on the 335!

Forum member/sponsor MMP may be able to help you, as well.

He doesn't do installs, but he's in Houston and may have some valuable contacts you could tap into.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 10:32 AM   #6
Shakinbakin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd5150 View Post
Congratulations on the 335!

Forum member/sponsor MMP may be able to help you, as well.

He doesn't do installs, but he's in Houston and may have some valuable contacts you could tap into.
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction
Appreciate 0