E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > up close and personal

09-04-2010, 08:00 AM   #1
baggy
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d Coupe M Sport

up close and personal

Hey.

i had the joy of coming back to my car in a car park missing its air caps,( i can live with that) and a small scratch on the front bumper, looks like a yellow car has hit me.

its not that bad, but i know its there, and see it every time i walk up to the car.
any ideas on the best way to clean up? t cut ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2010, 08:16 AM   #2
jwbmw
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XF S

Garage List
The perfectionists on the forum would recommend going to a good paint shop, personally as it is in an inconspicuous area I would pop into somewhere like Chips Away. Probably quote you less that £100 which saves a lot of hassle.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2010, 11:04 AM   #3
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

T cut it first and then wax it with coloured wax. Leave it a couple of days and see if you can live with it. You will probably find that you will get other marks on the bumper (stone chips etc.), it you can live with it for now, then sort the whole thing out at a later date.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2010, 11:24 AM   #4
jwbmw
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff123 View Post
T cut it first and then wax it with coloured wax. Leave it a couple of days and see if you can live with it. You will probably find that you will get other marks on the bumper (stone chips etc.), it you can live with it for now, then sort the whole thing out at a later date.
Trouble is it is right down to the plastic
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2010, 11:57 AM   #5
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

Don't T-Cut it.

First, clean it up (i.e. wash it) then assess the damage. You will be surprised at how good it looks once that yellow paint is off.

If there are any areas where the lacqueur/paint have been removed then touch it up using a colour matched touch up kit or paint pen (available from dealers and Halfords also do a kit) or order some paint from paints4u.

Then to tidy up your touch up sand it back with some 2400/3000 grit wet and dry so that it's smooth/even with the original paint. Make sure you use plenty of soapy water when doing this.

Then to remove the sanding marks use a bit of polish or Megs scratch or swirl x.

If the damage is very light to begin with (i.e. just a surface scuff) then go straight for the scratchx and it should do the trick nicely.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2010, 12:39 PM   #6
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Get some Nitromoors on, fetches paint off a treat.
      09-04-2010, 12:45 PM   #7
Ant-E90msport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 325d Black Sapphire

As previous post has said , clean up the area first. Get some Meguiars quick clay available from most good motor accessory stores, open the clay cut in half, then warm it between your hands flatten it out to the size of your palm, hand then use the spray bottle provided giving the area a good spritz then rub the clay over the yellow paint you will be amazed how much it takes off.

i have had this happen to me, if any transfer paint remains try Meguiars Scratch X working in small circular motions.

Hope this helps.

Loads of info can be found on detailingworld.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2010, 12:57 PM   #8
quattrogmbh
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Is it only you who drives the car? Looks to me consistent with hitting a bollard or piece of low level road furniture - width restrictor or the like. It would be a very difficult place to do localised damage if it were another car. And a very unlikely colour..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2010, 01:15 PM   #9
nicko44
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M-Sport Manual

Just had my back bumper repaired and resprayed. Three small dents over the last few weeks, all caused by the car behind when I had been parked parallel to the kerb. One in the middle and one on each corner plus scraping marks.

I decided to get them all fixed. Collected the car this afternoon from Chips Away in Rustington who have done a good job, total cost £223 incl VAT. Local dealer quote was for more than twice this.

Clearly it could be done a lot cheaper using the methods described above, but I would not trust myself to do a professional job.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2010, 01:19 PM   #10
robsdesk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 320d M Sport

I'd also say that looks like a scuff against a raised kurb - I've done exactly the same thing going into an underground car park, not got around to getting it sorted yet...
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2010, 01:30 PM   #11
baggy
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d Coupe M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicko44 View Post
Just had my back bumper repaired and resprayed. Three small dents over the last few weeks, all caused by the car behind when I had been parked parallel to the kerb. One in the middle and one on each corner plus scraping marks.

I decided to get them all fixed. Collected the car this afternoon from Chips Away in Rustington who have done a good job, total cost £223 incl VAT. Local dealer quote was for more than twice this.

Clearly it could be done a lot cheaper using the methods described above, but I would not trust myself to do a professional job.
i know what it is, i just cant prove it. i parked near a shop loading bay, the store was unloading a truck using a pallet truck. they are yellow and about that height. i asked in the shop, and guess what they knew nothing...
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2010, 02:17 PM   #12
jwbmw
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant-E92 View Post
As previous post has said , clean up the area first. Get some Meguiars quick clay available from most good motor accessory stores, open the clay cut in half, then warm it between your hands flatten it out to the size of your palm, hand then use the spray bottle provided giving the area a good spritz then rub the clay over the yellow paint you will be amazed how much it takes off.

i have had this happen to me, if any transfer paint remains try Meguiars Scratch X working in small circular motions.

Hope this helps.

Loads of info can be found on detailingworld.co.uk
Why bother when smart repairs are so good and cheap these days! I had a bad car park scruff on the rear right bumper and Autorestore did a brilliant job - as good as new
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 05:54 AM   #13
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

In my earlier post I said T Cut it. On reflection, that may be a little harsh - but I would still just try to polish it out first and see what the end result was.

Its sods law, if you pay for a repair, someone will scratch it again.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 01:50 AM   #14
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Use WD40 to clean it up, then get the WD40 off with quick detailer.
Appreciate 0