E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Battery question.

02-07-2015, 11:41 AM   #1
Murphyslaw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw e91 330d

Battery question.

Hey guys,

Been away for a week, came back and the car wouldn't start. Deadish battery. Rang rac who came and looked at it said it needed replacing. Guy offered to replace it there and then but I asked about coding the battery. Sure I have heard/read in the past that new battery needs coding to the car. Is this true?
Rac offered me a battery for 138 quid fitted but said I would find out first.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 12:12 PM   #2
alex-qts
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i N54 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphyslaw View Post
Hey guys,

Been away for a week, came back and the car wouldn't start. Deadish battery. Rang rac who came and looked at it said it needed replacing. Guy offered to replace it there and then but I asked about coding the battery. Sure I have heard/read in the past that new battery needs coding to the car. Is this true?
Rac offered me a battery for 138 quid fitted but said I would find out first.

Cheers
Yes the battery is meant to be coded, can be done with BMW software such as DIS, INPA...etc. Think some of the hand-held code readers might be able to do it also.

Fitted a new Bosch S4 Battery 110 (80Ah) about £87 from ECP , then coded it with DIS. Been golden ever since.

Not sure what would happen if you don't code it, think its something to do with the charging cycles? maybe someone else could enlighten us.

Sure someone close by could code it for you, takes about 5 minutes with the correct software
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 12:15 PM   #3
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

I'd strongly suggest to get it done properly. It reset bmw system and car knows you have a new battery. It learns and relearn the voltages and charges the battery accordingly.

I have seen few who changed the batteries without coding and battery lasted 2-3 years. Equally I have heard some people saying that they never bothered to code the car and battery lasted 5 years....
      02-07-2015, 01:02 PM   #4
windymissile
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

Find someone with an Halfords trade card. Makes the battery prices unbeatable.
Heed Makkan's advice on coding.
WM
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 02:40 AM   #5
ahenners
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330d M Sport LCI

Its possible to code battery via Bmwhat now, it's a chargeable in app feature, but only about 10 euros. Haven't personally tested it as I haven't replaced my battery yet, but may be a more convenient option than DIS, INPA etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 02:51 AM   #6
Murphyslaw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw e91 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahenners
Its possible to code battery via Bmwhat now, it's a chargeable in app feature, but only about 10 euros. Haven't personally tested it as I haven't replaced my battery yet, but may be a more convenient option than DIS, INPA etc.
Cheers fellas. Will definitely get it done right. Will have a word with the local Indy place first see if they will do it without ripping me off if not then will look into the bmwhat app thing. Don't think there is anyone close who can code it for me. Joys of living in Lincolnshire lol!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 04:33 AM   #7
rouge_trader
Rep
Drives: 320d Sport Plus

I posted before about my battery which is on the way out. I still get "increased battery discharge" and "battery charge low".

I called BMW and they were asking around 130 for the battery and a minimum of one hour labour to code. So another 119.

If the app does the same as a dealer I will certainly go down the halfords route
Appreciate 0