E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > AE /// AE Project 335 gets some new suspension! - JIC Cross Competition Coilovers

06-12-2009, 07:13 PM   #1
Nick@aep
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: Past: E92 335i 6mt, 996 GT2

AE /// AE Project 335 gets some new suspension! - JIC Cross Competition Coilovers

Hey guys,

We've recently teamed up with JIC North America and have nothing but great things to say about the quality of their suspension products. The support available direct from them and suspension and alignment knowledge they've shown speaks great volumes of their product and as such we are proud to become a dealer of theirs and authorized installation facility.

That being said, AE Performance will begin doing corner balancing and alignment services in house very shortly here.

Our 335 has been outfitted with a number of modifications to improve performance and has been our canvas that we've used to design and perfect our dual and quad exhaust systems that have proven performance, sound and most of all the appreciation of so many of you on the forum.

Next we have our coilover setup on the menu, which is where JIC comes into play.

Going on this-

Stay tuned on this thread for a full review, pictures, impressions, etc!

-Nick

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 11:35 AM   #2
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

They are fantastic! Congrats on the new partnership. These shocks react so quickly - so much better than stock.
Are you doing sways right away?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 02:04 PM   #3
Nick@aep
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW325xi View Post
They are fantastic! Congrats on the new partnership. These shocks react so quickly - so much better than stock.
Are you doing sways right away?
Thank you! Looking forward to them a lot. They will be installed today, and swaybars will follow shortly after since they aren't in yet.

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 08:49 PM   #4
Nick@aep
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

Well, the coilovers are on and the difference in handling is night and day! The car sits a bit too low right now and will be raised up (pics to follow of before and after).

Ride quality with the dampers set on the stiffer side of the 15 points is still comfortable when commuting and is nice and firm. It feels much more solid and has completely lost that 'floaty' feeling the car has in stock form when cornering. It is also much more predictable with the lack of 'floatiness'.

Next up will be an aggressive street alignment that we will perform here and possible corner balancing.

A fun fact as discovered during installation-

The E92 335 weighs in at 3456lbs on our corner balancing scales with ~1/8th of a tank of gas. Obviously this will vary depending on mods, however, I can safely say its lighter than it was when it rolled off the assembly line.

Stay tuned for more info!

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 09:36 PM   #5
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

I'm tuned in!

The ride will actually get a little nicer once you use them more. The ride is incredible considering the spring rates. Yes, the control over bumps is night and day over stock. The car just soaks them up and reacts so much quicker. No matter how bad the bumps, the wheels just never seem to step out.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 08:50 AM   #6
1clean335i
Perf BMW mag issue 147, 159
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: Project Estoril

Garage List
aww man, i wanted these coilovers soo bad...
      06-21-2009, 12:48 PM   #7
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

has JIC opened a service facility in North America? I know about 5 years ago, people with warranty issues were told that the parts had to be sent back to japan for service, and there was a 6 to 8 week wait time.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 02:43 PM   #8
peopleontheradio
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
has JIC opened a service facility in North America? I know about 5 years ago, people with warranty issues were told that the parts had to be sent back to japan for service, and there was a 6 to 8 week wait time.
yah i am pretty sure there in Downey, California.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 09:50 PM   #9
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@AEPerformance View Post
Well, the coilovers are on and the difference in handling is night and day! The car sits a bit too low right now and will be raised up (pics to follow of before and after).

Ride quality with the dampers set on the stiffer side of the 15 points is still comfortable when commuting and is nice and firm. It feels much more solid and has completely lost that 'floaty' feeling the car has in stock form when cornering. It is also much more predictable with the lack of 'floatiness'.

Next up will be an aggressive street alignment that we will perform here and possible corner balancing.

A fun fact as discovered during installation-

The E92 335 weighs in at 3456lbs on our corner balancing scales with ~1/8th of a tank of gas. Obviously this will vary depending on mods, however, I can safely say its lighter than it was when it rolled off the assembly line.

Stay tuned for more info!
That's a damn good weight.

Do these have a life-time warranty?
Are they rebound adjustable or are they double adjustable?
Where's the adjustment knob?
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 06:43 PM   #10
Ryne@AEP
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: German

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
That's a damn good weight.

Do these have a life-time warranty?
Are they rebound adjustable or are they double adjustable?
Where's the adjustment knob?
Aus,

There is no lifetime warranty on the suspension, but if there is an issue that is caused by the damper, we will happily take care of it.

Setup on these coilovers is the key to success. Making sure the car has proper ride height matched to spring size is key. This allows the stroke of the shock to be maximized, allowing rebound and dampening to have more travel in both up and downward movement.

The adjustment for the 335i suspension is for rebound (15 way) front and rear. Ride height and pre-load are also adjustable.

If you setup the suspension correctly, you can go very low with the car while keeping the stroke correct in the shock. Corner balance and alignment after getting the shock parameters setup will increase the cars turn in response, decrease body roll dramatically and keep the car planted on exits. The stroke will allow the car to also behave nicely on the road - potholes, expansion joints, etc. (Never topping or bottoming out).

The difference between some suspension components vs JIC is that the springs and shocks are not really setup for each application. If you want a car that is slammed and use a (Brand X) suspension, it may not be setup with the proper spring and valving, causing the damper to not use the stroke properly. This causes cars to ride "harsh" and individuals experience shocks that can blow over time from the damper not being in the correct efficiency range.

The adjustment points on the JIC coilovers allow for the cars ride height to be adjusted from VERY low to moderate without an issue. The stroke of the shock will be in the efficiency range at either point if the suspension is setup and installed correctly.

Make sure to have your suspension installed by a shop that understands the importance of stroke and how to properly setup the car, as both alignment and corner balance are equally important.

If you have any more questions, feel free to give us a call. We can handle all installs, setup, corner balance and alignments in house.

Regards,

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 07:07 PM   #11
Nick@aep
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

-Courtesy of a photographer from the event

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 09:24 PM   #12
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Thanks Ryne. Good info. I'm really looking for something for the M3. I'm sure they'll come out with something.

Do these require camber plates?
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 09:56 PM   #13
200Duece
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '73 2002,'18 X5 35d,'17 328d T

diggin the bottom pic

1988 E28 535is Euro Conversion --- sold
2009 E90 335 6MT --- sold
2003 E39 540iT Msport --- sold
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 11:47 AM   #14
Nick@aep
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Ryne. Good info. I'm really looking for something for the M3. I'm sure they'll come out with something.

Do these require camber plates?
Aus,

They come with front Camber plates in this particular application. If you would like, I'll check with them on M3 suspension for you. I don't think it'll be a problem seeing as they now have an E60 M5 suspension that we did last week.

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 11:47 AM   #15
Nick@aep
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Duece View Post
diggin the bottom pic
Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 02:19 PM   #16
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@AEPerformance View Post
Aus,

They come with front Camber plates in this particular application. If you would like, I'll check with them on M3 suspension for you. I don't think it'll be a problem seeing as they now have an E60 M5 suspension that we did last week.
Sent you guys a PM last week for pricing info on these and other coilovers for the M3. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 01:54 PM   #17
Ryne@AEP
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: German

Quote:
Sent you guys a PM last week for pricing info on these and other coilovers for the M3. Thanks.
Aus,

Did you send that PM over to Nick?

Shoot me an email - Ryne@AEPerformance.com and I can help you out.

Regards,

Ryne
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 06:02 PM   #18
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

I got a response from Nick. Thanks for the follow-up.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 06:43 PM   #19
Nick@aep
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I got a response from Nick. Thanks for the follow-up.

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 10:22 PM   #20
Diesel///M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M

sick setup bro
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 02:59 PM   #21
Nick@aep
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel335i View Post
sick setup bro
Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 01:05 AM   #22
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 N54

How much preload are you guys running with these? Do you experience any bottoming out? How bout clicking during HARD slalom transitions.

I just installed my JIC and at first the car woudl bottom out the suspension over pothole. Annoying, and sounded horrible. The preload was set so the the spring can be moved by hand but it required effort. The only way to get the car from nto bottoming out was to run the struts on full stiff, once again annoying. I upped the preload about half an inch, and now run setting 11 and no bottiming out, however now when i do hard slaloms the suspension in the front clicks as if the spring is rotating and not the pillow mount. So far, not to pleased with these coilovers. Any tips?
Appreciate 0