E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Navigating iPod music on non-Nav stereo

09-15-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
SWFan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

Navigating iPod music on non-Nav stereo

Am I missing something on the navigation function of the radio. If I push the button to view Artists the only way I've been able to find to navigate through them is to run the right knob. I have thousands of artists so getting to the middle of the list takes five minutes of spinning that knob.

I checked my radio manual, and unless I missed it I couldn't find any descriptions on how you might navigate say an A-Z list so you could quickly go to Z, select it then see all the artists that start with Z.

Please tell me there is an easier way!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 11:43 PM   #2
adityab
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

im frustrated for the same reason - aside from the hassle, i feel like that dial is going to crap the bed with the heavy usage it gets.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 09:51 AM   #3
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
There is no easier way!
Artists like U2, Yes, and Ultravox should protest!
Now I just have it on random
But it's horrible when you are trying to get to a certain song

Only way around it, is I changed all the album names on the songs in my flash drive
So songs that start with the letter A are in an album called A etc
So this way you are only scrolling through 26 letters, not hundreds of artists
You could do the same with the artists names
So Abba, Aerosmith etc are all in an album called A etc
      09-17-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
spanner1751
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i M sport sedan

After several months of fiddling with the iPod interface on my car, I'm still somewhat confused on how it actually works. Changing artists/albums is nothing that I would do while driving. It usually takes me 4-5 tries to get to the album that i want to play. I'm sure that there is a logical way, but it seems like you have to press/rotate the function/select buttons in a very non-intuitive manner to get what you want. But then, I'm an old fart and find it easier to just change CDs when I'm driving.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 11:27 AM   #5
SWFan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityab View Post
i feel like that dial is going to crap the bed with the heavy usage it gets.
I feel the same way. That is why I thought surely there had to be an index that would get you to a letter grouping, but appears there is not one. I don't understand why they can't add an A-C, D-F, etc to the menu structure to save on scrolling time.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 07:53 PM   #6
Hot Toddy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Sedan

Do you use "playlists" which are set up on the iPod? When I plug in my iPod, I hit a button labeled "lists" on the left side of the head unit and a playlist comes up. Then, I use the radio station selector knob on the right to scroll to the playlist that I want. Push in the same knob to actually select that playlist and the first song shows. Hit it again and that song begins to play. I can turn that same knob forward and backward to skip or replay songs.

Hit "list" again to bring up a new playlist. This seems to work for me. It is not intuitive, however, and I would recommend just spending some time in the driveway learning which buttons and knobs do what. My car is a post September build 328i with the Hi Fi stereo.

Hot Toddy
Appreciate 0