E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Are Konis supposed to act like this?

09-18-2009, 03:44 PM   #1
jordancopeland
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Question .

Last edited by jordancopeland; 03-09-2011 at 05:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 03:52 PM   #2
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

that's normal. The whole concept of a shock is to dampen the spring oscillations. (basically keep the car from bouncing on the spring) so they slow down the forces of the springs acting on them. Konis have a lot of rebound damping, so it take more force to extend them than to compress them. That's why it takes so long for them to rebound on their own.

when your shocks can be extended easily, they are blown
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 10:08 PM   #3
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordancopeland View Post
Maybe some of you suspension gurus can help me out:

I've got FK Silverlines installed on my e92. I'd found the ride to be a bit harsh for commuting on the Bronx's terrible streets, with damper settings of 50% soft in front and a little softer in back, so today I readjusted the rear shocks to 2 1/4 turns from full firm -- in other words, it's now 1/4 turn from full soft.

When reinstalling the shocks, I'd compress them by hand, and they were VERY slow to expand to their full length. They'd expand about halfway very slowly, and then the rest of the way they'd expand glacially slowly. One of the shocks was worse than the other, and took literally minutes until it it was about 1 cm from getting back into the upper hole. Then it stopped expanding altogether. I wound up raising the hub/axle with a floor jack to push the shock up through the top hole so I could get the top nut on.

Is there a problem with this shock? A couple other facts that may help:

1) The car seemed to ride fine today, maybe a touch bouncy but nothing crazy. I certainly like the ride better than it was before.

2) The car is (for now) almost as high as stock (sport suspension) height -- I'll lower it down next.

Thanks!
If you don't already know, counter-clockwise is stiffer on the rebound settings of Koni dampers.

Knowing the springs rates supplied in your coilver kit also helps. Most manufacture just put together a kit without any R&D - Good for lowering your car, but bad handling and ride.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2009, 07:33 AM   #4
Bavaria330
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i LCI AW

Yes this is because you r not suposed to go pass 2 turn. 2 turns if full soft. You basicali disable the shock thats is why after 2 turns you can not fully reextend the schock you are lucky that you were able to reinstall the thing, you are basicaly riding on your springs with very little damping.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 09:13 AM   #5
Bavaria330
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i LCI AW

Quote:
Ok, thanks for the replies, guys! Ok, E46fanatics posters agree that the slow rebound is no problem:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=106107

And as far as the adjustment range goes, it seems there's a split of opinion, and it seems to me like the greater evidence comes down on it being 2.5 turns from full to soft based on installers' experience:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ght=koni+turns

The shock definitely isn't disabled now -- it works in the bottom part of the travel, and the rebound is just very very slow as it reaches full extension, and I'm glad to know that's ok. Either way, now my car is riding pretty much like stock, so I'd recommend this setting to anyone who, like me, has to commute on some of the worst roads around and doesn't want to have to brace for bumps and potholes.

Good to know thanks for the research. I've had mine at 2 and love them.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2009, 10:33 AM   #6
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Ok, thanks for the replies, guys! Ok, E46fanatics posters agree that the slow rebound is no problem:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=106107

And as far as the adjustment range goes, it seems there's a split of opinion, and it seems to me like the greater evidence comes down on it being 2.5 turns from full to soft based on installers' experience:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ght=koni+turns

The shock definitely isn't disabled now -- it works in the bottom part of the travel, and the rebound is just very very slow as it reaches full extension, and I'm glad to know that's ok. Either way, now my car is riding pretty much like stock, so I'd recommend this setting to anyone who, like me, has to commute on some of the worst roads around and doesn't want to have to brace for bumps and potholes.

You can't disable the Koni by going 2 turns in either direction...

A good source of information would be a Koni dealer/distributor or the manufacture themselves, and not from another another forum(unless the person posting has reliable information).
Appreciate 0