E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Daily Driver Review: Performance Power Kit S1 - N55 335i

08-16-2012, 04:39 PM   #287
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi n55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliditude View Post
Yeah, I noticed the same exact effect after the PPK and loved it! The exhaust should be stock that way. But yeah, in your case, I would not be concerned with car mods at all, lol.
Just you wait untill you hear a PE combined with the PPK
      08-28-2012, 06:12 PM   #288
Soliditude
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Belgier View Post
Just you wait untill you hear a PE combined with the PPK

You're really making me want to get it. How is it for the interior? Does it drone any of the plastics and make them rattle? That is the biggest issue with exhausts for me. I assume, however, this being a factory exhuast, it should be near-perfect.
      08-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #289
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
You're really making me want to get it. How is it for the interior? Does it drone any of the plastics and make them rattle? That is the biggest issue with exhausts for me. I assume, however, this being a factory exhuast, it should be near-perfect.
It is near perfect! You can hear it but certainly no drone or something! BMW did a hell of a job! The sound makes you wanna drive the car even more! It is just a complete other car! And if you want peace, you just close the windows...

This is my #1 mod i ever did! And i'm not 20 anymore... (not that old )

BUY IT
      08-30-2012, 07:24 PM   #290
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep

I have to put something clear here! I get a bit carried away sometimes

The PE is a Performance Sport Exhaust! It will make your car louder! It will transform your car into another type of car. An exhaust mod is a mod that shows to others that you drive a sporty car. And it sounds as one afterwarts

You will hear more exhaust sound in every RPM whenever you Rev it. Drone is a big word! I had a Remus once that could drive me crazy sometimes... The PE has very short moments, especially in low RPM in high gear when you push the throttle hard, were there is a "hint" of drone. But really not drone or rattling as you know it from lot of manufacturers!!!

For other people, your car will be loud! You will not think so with windows up. With windows down, you will hear the concert of 6-in-line But you will never hear it like others around you... Keep this in mind.

The PPK makes it burble and pop a lot. I like it that you can let it burble with the tip of your feet

I find it Did you check YouTube?
      08-30-2012, 08:25 PM   #291
chrisk03
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I have to put something clear here! I get a bit carried away sometimes

The PE is a Performance Sport Exhaust! It will make your car louder! It will transform your car into another type of car. An exhaust mod is a mod that shows to others that you drive a sporty car. And it sounds as one afterwarts

You will hear more exhaust sound in every RPM whenever you Rev it. Drone is a big word! I had a Remus once that could drive me crazy sometimes... The PE has very short moments, especially in low RPM in high gear when you push the throttle hard, were there is a "hint" of drone. But really not drone or rattling as you know it from lot of manufacturers!!!

For other people, your car will be loud! You will not think so with windows up. With windows down, you will hear the concert of 6-in-line But you will never hear it like others around you... Keep this in mind.

The PPK makes it burble and pop a lot. I like it that you can let it burble with the tip of your feet

I find it Did you check YouTube?
Good description. I've got some clips over on YouTube...under chrisk335. It is aural delight.
      08-31-2012, 04:19 AM   #292
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk03 View Post
Good description. I've got some clips over on YouTube...under chrisk335. It is aural delight.
I saw you vids before i had my PE

THX
      09-17-2012, 02:39 PM   #293
Soliditude
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive M-sport

I'm really wanting this after reading your description, Belgier. Sounds like the exact perfection I look for in an exhaust.
      09-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #294
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
I'm really wanting this after reading your description, Belgier. Sounds like the exact perfection I look for in an exhaust.
You will like it NO! You will love it

The PE will increase the usage of your window
      09-18-2012, 08:43 AM   #295
youngb4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i M Sport

Just Feeding the Fire!

Quote:
I've lurked on this thread since it started and have been tempted to run out the door to the dealership and get the PPK1 installed stat! Although I haven't accomplished that yet, I did just have the BMW PE installed and all I can say is wow . I agree with everything Belgier has said; you can really tell this exhaust was designed for our cars, it accentuates everything in a positive way, and isn't intrusive (unless you want it to be and mash the throttle ). Expensive, yes, but IMO, money well spent; my car now sounds like what I think a sport coupe should.

I have to say, I may be even more tempted to get the PPK1 and see what that does to my driving experience . I currently am running an older version of the N55 DME software (Dec. 2010 build) so I still get burbles and pops on downshifts or coasting. It's my understanding that the new DME software update eliminates it, and the PPK1 adds it again . I wonder if the burble/pop inherent with the PPK1 would be more noticeable than what I currently experience? I really like that sound (especially post BMW PE) and would hate to lose it in a software update, so the PPK1 may allow that to become permanent (along with a lil boost in performance of course ). Hope I'm not getting too off topic!
      09-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #296
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngb4 View Post
I've lurked on this thread since it started and have been tempted to run out the door to the dealership and get the PPK1 installed stat! Although I haven't accomplished that yet, I did just have the BMW PE installed and all I can say is wow . I agree with everything Belgier has said; you can really tell this exhaust was designed for our cars, it accentuates everything in a positive way, and isn't intrusive (unless you want it to be and mash the throttle ). Expensive, yes, but IMO, money well spent; my car now sounds like what I think a sport coupe should.

I have to say, I may be even more tempted to get the PPK1 and see what that does to my driving experience . I currently am running an older version of the N55 DME software (Dec. 2010 build) so I still get burbles and pops on downshifts or coasting. It's my understanding that the new DME software update eliminates it, and the PPK1 adds it again . I wonder if the burble/pop inherent with the PPK1 would be more noticeable than what I currently experience? I really like that sound (especially post BMW PE) and would hate to lose it in a software update, so the PPK1 may allow that to become permanent (along with a lil boost in performance of course ). Hope I'm not getting too off topic!
THX

I really can't tell you because i already hat the PE before i upgraded the DME with the PPK software... I know that the pops are pretty loud! You can hear them from inside if you're driving in the city...

I BIG LIKE
      09-19-2012, 08:47 AM   #297
chrisk03
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

For those that have the PPK, have you seen or can verify that the update is noted/listed in BMW's system, so dealers know it's installed in your car? I took my car to my purchasing dealer for service today and they didn't see anything in their systems. I had the PPK installed at another dealer, closer to me, and it shows on the invoice, but sounds like it may not have made it into what I'll call the overall BMW computer system. I think it may only be showing on the local dealer computer system.

Any thoughts? I've got a call into the local dealer that installed it. Just don't want to miss any updates, etc. in the future.
      09-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #298
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
For those that have the PPK, have you seen or can verify that the update is noted/listed in BMW's system, so dealers know it's installed in your car? I took my car to my purchasing dealer for service today and they didn't see anything in their systems. I had the PPK installed at another dealer, closer to me, and it shows on the invoice, but sounds like it may not have made it into what I'll call the overall BMW computer system. I think it may only be showing on the local dealer computer system.

Any thoughts? I've got a call into the local dealer that installed it. Just don't want to miss any updates, etc. in the future.
Are you sure you have the PPK installed correctly? Does the exhaust pop and burble a lot more?

There are some stickers in the engine bay that says: BMW Power Kit...
      09-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #299
chrisk03
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Are you sure you have the PPK installed correctly? Does the exhaust pop and burble a lot more?

There are some stickers in the engine bay that says: BMW Power Kit...
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's installed correctly and I do have the pops and burbles. I also had a dyno run done after installing and it showed the huge 5hp bump... .

Oh, also, the dealer that installed it called me back and gave me some line about each dealer being independently owned and it's in their system, but probably wouldn't show in the overall BMW system because it was not an "ordered" item or under warranty...whatever the hell that means. I didn't really want to argue with her because honestly it sounded like she was making it up as she went along and didn't really understand what I was getting at. Could tell by her tone she was getting annoyed.

Guess I'll just wait until next service and ask the dealer I do my service at to see if they can do a "scan" of the DME and see if there. I do have all the stickers, etc., just paranoid I guess and don't want to miss any updates, if any. Thx!
      09-19-2012, 06:18 PM   #300
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's installed correctly and I do have the pops and burbles. I also had a dyno run done after installing and it showed the huge 5hp bump... .

Oh, also, the dealer that installed it called me back and gave me some line about each dealer being independently owned and it's in their system, but probably wouldn't show in the overall BMW system because it was not an "ordered" item or under warranty...whatever the hell that means. I didn't really want to argue with her because honestly it sounded like she was making it up as she went along and didn't really understand what I was getting at. Could tell by her tone she was getting annoyed.

Guess I'll just wait until next service and ask the dealer I do my service at to see if they can do a "scan" of the DME and see if there. I do have all the stickers, etc., just paranoid I guess and don't want to miss any updates, if any. Thx!
Sorry to hear that you have a BS dealer

I would think that, if your car has a connection to germany (or where ever US customers are connected to) it checks your version of the software and update to the right version... We are 2012...
      09-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #301
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep

@Soliditude: I have a link for you from a thread in the N54 section...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=746885

Get that exhaust already
      09-21-2012, 10:13 PM   #302
morphius909
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 Xi Special Edition-JB

PP1/2 = Nice
PE= Nice

PP1/2 + PE = AWESOME!

I can't imagine driving it any way! My son and I were in the car with my son in the back, roof and windows open and my son commented how awesome the turbos and PE sounded.

BTW he's only 7

2011 335i X Drive Special Edition-Jerez Black
35% Tint All Around / 3M Rockguard / Weathertech/ PPK2 / 18&12mm Spacers/Lux H8 V3
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 08:09 AM   #303
SilverEmu
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphius909 View Post
PP1/2 = Nice
PE= Nice

PP1/2 + PE = AWESOME!

I can't imagine driving it any way! My son and I were in the car with my son in the back, roof and windows open and my son commented how awesome the turbos and PE sounded.

BTW he's only 7
That is so funny! My son is only 3.5 and he makes a point in coming to the garage almost every time I start the car cold. He likes to hear it, and not just from inside . Favorite comment is : "Dad, your car is angry!", and that is said with a naughty grin on his face

Yes OP, PE is that good, even kids that age appreciate it. My favorite feature is the over-run burble (easier for me to induce, since my car is MT).

It is not only louder than the stock (in a refined way), it brings the engine sound to a different level of sportiness. There is sound coming through at higher rpm, but it's not intrusive or unpleasant. I think PPK and PE is a really nice combo. I know in my case, it's just perfect.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 03:46 PM   #304
ze_german
Autobahn Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 N55 6MT Msport

Garage List
I am looking at this too. I dyno'd my 2011 N55 today at EAS in Anaheim and it puts out 291whp and 292ft-lb. It was pretty chilly outside, around 55F so don't know if that puts the number a little higher than usual. I am wondering how much the PPK would bring.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #305
CombatNinja
Banned
Rep
Drives: e91 328i, e90 328i, e90 335i

PPK typically adds 20-25 wheel horsepower and 25-30 wheel torque--or a bit more than the claimed 20hp/32tq crank number. Of course, I have never seen any BMW literature that specifies these numbers as crank horsepower so perhaps the factory is just stating the numbers they had from dyno development. Because dynos show right in that range consistently.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #306
sdawg11
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Coupe

does anyone know what the typical dealer charge for the BMW PE costs?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #307
Dozhdbog
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan

I had the stage 2 PPK installed for about 3 grand(parts+labor), which I think is pricey, but my car is a base model 335i sedan which technically wasn't supposed to have that installed in the first place so it needed additional items. It took them a while to sort it all out.

Last edited by Dozhdbog; 02-12-2013 at 07:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #308
chrisk03
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdawg11 View Post
does anyone know what the typical dealer charge for the BMW PE costs?
Cost me $125 + tax for the PE install...about an hour labor charge, but it actually took a little longer than that. This was in PA.