E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Ever had a car fall on you while working?? Lifting your lowered car a pain in the?

08-30-2012, 02:45 AM   #1
CrimsonXV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 435i 6mt, 325Ci 5mt, 87' K100

Ever had a car fall on you while working?? Lifting your lowered car a pain in the?

UPDATE: Post #33 Concept sketches. Please give feedback for thesis project

Either ON you or just fall while you had it up? Regrettably I have, twice.

I'm a senior industrial design student and I'm starting my senior thesis project. The problem I am looking at is lifting and safety of working on a (lowered) car. So I need some feedback from you guys for research!

How do you raise your car when you are working on it? What process and tools do you use?
What safety devices/checks do you use? Tell me the little things too, personal-protective-equipment, lights, padding, mirrors, etc etc
What are some concerns you have while working on your car?
All of us lowered guys know it is often a major pain getting our cars up, what are some issues you run into? How do/have you attempted to solve those issues?
In a perfect world, how could this process of lifting your car to work on it be made easier/safer for YOU? What tools/systems/or modifications of tools do YOU wish existed?

STORY feel free to skip
Here are my two car falling stories real quick. The first time, my brother was selling his style m66 wheels off his e39. We met with the buyer in a parking lot and were going to just swap all four wheels over from and to both cars. I started with my brothers car, jacked it up using the factory elbow jack and removed the rear wheel. To speed up the process I then jacked it up further to get the whole side off the ground so I could get the front wheel off too. My mistake was that I forgot to put in the wheel chock, so the car rolled forward a bit and knocked the jack over sideways. BOOM down on the rotor my brothers e39 came crashing. FCCK I thought! Luckily I was only next to it and not underneath it. I was able to get the car back up and properly in place. Luckily no damage was caused.

My next incident was this past summer. I was working on changing the front brakes on my dad's 3/4 ton Dodge Cummins pick-em-up. My dads large metal shop was packed at the moment and I couldn't pull the truck in, so I did the job out on the grass. I used two large bottle jacks with a piece of plywood underneath as a base to jack the truck up. I got the front wheels off and the brakes already on one side. My dad then instructs me that I should put the truck on jack stands. So I proceed to position the first jackstand under the truck where it should go, NOT on the plywood base. I then proceed to use the freaking 6 inch handle for the bottle jack to release pressure on it to lower the truck down onto the jack stand. All is well,,, so it seemed. As I'm nearly half bodied underneath the truck, pulling the bottle jack out from under it; in a split fraction of a second there is a noise and a brief second of my life that never registered in my mind. I look over and I am now standing 20 feet away from the truck that is now sitting on its chasis in the grass. Lucky enough for me I am able bodied and have the agility and reflexes of a ninja, otherwise there is no question about it, I would be without a right arm today. I brush off my arm as it was actually scratched by the truck's metal step sideskirt coming down (not ninja enough). My mom and dad (outside at the time) freakout and thank god that I'm not dead while I realize, shit! the cinder block that I had put underneath to set the brake caliper on, is being sat on by the oil pan that is now impaled by it. We borrow a low-profile jack from the neighbor down the road to get the truck up. And to our amazement that dam cummins oil pan is unharmed and leak free, just now with a baseball sized dent in it. With the truck now properly jacked up, the rest of the brake job went on. What had happened was one leg of the jackstand got pressed into the dirt more than the rest and so the weight toppled it over
END STORY

Last edited by CrimsonXV; 09-29-2012 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 04:43 AM   #2
rxbaker
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Sedan MT

Geez, that sounds nuts!

I always jack up whatever car I'm working on, then put a jackstand (or two) to keep it in place if the jack fails. I usually leave the jack in place as well unless it's specifically in the way. I try and think about where the car is putting the weight as well when placing jackstands. You want to make sure that it isn't going to roll off or fall off of whatever you put it on. I always leave it in gear with the parking brake on and sometimes will chock the wheels if I think it's in danger of rolling.

Safety first! I don't know if the methods I use are the safest methods, but they seem to make sense to me. If there's a better way I'd be happy to change to that.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 07:36 AM   #3
5tony
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M5/'15 X5 35i/'88 M3

Always work on level concrete and place the wheels under the sides of the car. If the car happens to fall it might ruin the wheels but it will save your life.
      08-30-2012, 08:00 AM   #4
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

You must use poor practices to drop a car on yourself. Ive been dicking with cars for the better part of a decade and never even come close. And I dont mean just changing oil, engine/tranny swaps, diffs, bodywork, etc.

How do you raise your car when you are working on it? What process and tools do you use?
-I use a Crafstman alumnium speed jack. Its got a very low clearance, large lever and is quite quick. I then rest the car on jack stands designed for commercial equipment. Not because I need a 10 ton capacity but because the saddle is wide and flat. Also as stated before always on a level, hard surface.
What safety devices/checks do you use? Tell me the little things too, personal-protective-equipment, lights, padding, mirrors, etc etc
- Wheel chocks, the aforementioned jack stands, safety glasses, a myriad of gloves based on what I am doing, I have a magnetic pad to protect the fenders when working on the engine, a camping headlight for visibility and I do have a telescoping mirror.
-The only time I am feeling unsafe is when I am trying to liberate an old exhaust, wiggling it back and forth is the only time the car might not feel safe on the stands.
All of us lowered guys know it is often a major pain getting our cars up, what are some issues you run into? How do/have you attempted to solve those issues?
-No issues, get a better jack.
In a perfect world, how could this process of lifting your car to work on it be made easier/safer for YOU? What tools/systems/or modifications of tools do YOU wish existed?
A dual post lift, but those things are damned expensive. So I guess if I wished something existed it would be an integrated lift for $50.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 08:29 AM   #5
mxchris727
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 M5, '06 325i, '12 M3

I always use two jacks, wheels chocks, and I place a wheel under the car. I also try pushing the car off the jacks to see if there is any movement before going under.

I had a car fall on me with my head underneath it when the jack I was using got stuck while rolling and the wheels where chocked. Now, I tet the car roll a little while jacking.
      08-30-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

I use wheel choke and always place wheel underneath and have emergency brake on. Those are my preventive measures. Jack stands underneath wheel hub. Had it happen to me once and it was a life long lesson that I will remember. I didn't get hurt but it was scary
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 08:42 AM   #7
Yeoman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Comp

Need to work on your common sense before moving on to Industrial Design
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 08:43 AM   #8
sammy_0559
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [3.66]
Lift FTW!

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 09:27 AM   #9
Turb0Surge
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BLACK e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy_0559 View Post
Lift FTW!

^^^^Lucky... I wish I has my own lift.

I have 4 snap-on jacks at my disposal. I always put the handbreak on and always use jack stands, and sometimes if I am going to be completely under the car- for good measure i put an old wheel under there with me too.

Oh and I do everything in my garage on a FLAT level.
      08-30-2012, 09:59 AM   #10
Built My Way
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...when not replacing gaskets

Garage List
I use wheel chocks, e-brake, and large diameter cut-to-length oak logs. If you can't trust the mighty oak, who can you trust?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #11
khaye1
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 18 AW F80

TLDNR...however, I had a jack fail on me. I was positioning the jack stand on my CRX and the jack just decided to lower itself and my right index finger got caught between the car and the jack stand. Luckily my friend was there to lift the car back up. When I looked at my finger(palm side up) it just flopped backwards. Yeah I had to go to the hospital and get admitted and had the pleasure of getting surgery.
      08-30-2012, 10:45 AM   #12
macpherson13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330XI

Garage List
2006 BMW 330XI  [0.00]
I had an e36 that was lowered approx 1/2inch with bav auto springs and bilstein shocks, went to put snow tires on one day and the car fell off the jack. I was using the bav auto jack adapter that was a metal plate and went into the factory hole for the jack on the side skirt but allowed you to use a regular floor jack instead of the factory jack. The jack adapter spun in the hole for the factory jack and the car came off the jack and ended up sitting on the rotor on the driveway. Car came off the jack before I was able to get jack stands under it.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 10:54 AM   #13
vapore0n
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Ill play

Quote:
Ill use the OEM jacks or a hydraulic jack. Possition it on either the OEM location (oem jack only) or some other support area that I know will not bent/break when lifting. Once lifted Ill put some jack stands.

Quote:
P-brake always on, unless replacing rear brakes.
Wheel chucks on.
As soon as I set the jack stands, I shake the whole car, make sure its sturdy.

Quote:
Concerns are dirt falling on my eyes. I use eye protection
Car falling on me, I have jack stands and jack, but its always a concern.
Car moving while Im working on it. I always shake it before going under. Better it falls there than after Im under it.

Quote:
Lowered car here. I just need low profile jack. Have not bought it yet so I havent tried it.

Quote:
Here is a really good way to make it easier. Cars should have marker underneath the car so you know where to put jack or stands on without breaking anything. That way you know that you put it in a good place.
For example my e90. You need a custom jack, and after that its a pain to find a good spot to put stands on, since every part underneath is covered by plastic.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #14
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

The other day, driving, I saw a car in a local garage up on a single post lift...wow, what a blast from the past.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 12:26 PM   #15
reddemon73
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435

Sorry for jacking your post (lol puns). Where do you place a jack stand after you jack the car up? Do you put it next to the jacking point??? If I only have two jack stands, should I jack up the side or the end of the car?

Thanks.
2014 435i M Sport //AW, CR//premium, tech, lightening pkgs//20% tint//full clear bra//ppk//blk grills//20" Vertini wheels//digital gauge//Apple Carplay//MPE with catted DP//VSRF charge pipe//Wagner FMIC//
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 04:20 PM   #16
Brad from the OC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325Ia Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddemon73 View Post
Sorry for jacking your post (lol puns). Where do you place a jack stand after you jack the car up? Do you put it next to the jacking point??? If I only have two jack stands, should I jack up the side or the end of the car?

Thanks.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=461718
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 05:09 PM   #17
bumere90
Grozniy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Carless

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy_0559 View Post
Lift FTW!

nice
I want one
how much?
      08-30-2012, 08:09 PM   #18
sammy_0559
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [3.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumere90 View Post
nice
I want one
how much?
well the one in the first pic is 85k lol its an alignment machine.

the second one is a regular lift around 3k
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 08:32 PM   #19
3s4u2
Beamer Mantic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Prem

Try http://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com

http://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/...terms_car-lift
2014 X5 50i M-Pkg

Last edited by 3s4u2; 08-31-2012 at 07:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 10:05 PM   #20
e92ben
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 BMW 635csi

Uhhh? Lol just stay away, I never ever had that kinda problem. Be careful make sure you use proper jack locations and level hard ground

e92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 08:11 AM   #21
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I had my brother's jeep fall on me when I was 9 years old. the rear tire landed on my left arm. It left a tire tread mark in my skin for a few days. It's the reason I have this - I was rebuilding the suspension on this BMW:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 09:06 AM   #22
3s4u2
Beamer Mantic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Prem

Very nice lift and setup
2014 X5 50i M-Pkg
Appreciate 0