E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Front Spring Plate/Hat stuck onto strut :(

05-28-2013, 01:00 AM   #1
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Front Spring Plate/Hat stuck onto strut :(

Included some pics so you guys can see.

Front Passenger side spring plate/hat is stuck onto the rod on my fk coilovers. I tried pulling it off as hard as I can and using some penetrating spray, but no luck so far. My drivers side came off with my pinky.

Any idea's on how to get this off without causing damage to myself or the car

PICS: The red circular part is stuck onto the rod.
Attached Images

JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 01:27 AM   #2
#Tee
Major General
Rep
Drives: yes

put the nut back on the rod (half way down) and wedge a straight hard surface (work bench) on under the plate and wack the nut with a hammer.

You can follow my builds on IG: Tee212
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 02:09 AM   #3
Dr. G
Major General
Rep

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~XxTeexX~ View Post
put the nut back on the rod (half way down) and wedge a straight hard surface (work bench) on under the plate and wack the nut with a hammer.
Exactly the type of ideas I was looking for thanks man!

Do you have any home remedies to get this done without having to remove the strut from the car though? All I was looking to really do was pull the helper springs off and since spreading the knuckle and pulling out the strut was a pain last time, I was hoping to avoid it if possible.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 03:38 AM   #4
#Tee
Major General
Rep

ah ok, since its at an angle ... support the rotor/spindle with a floor jack. push and flush up the collar into the spring, basically compress the shock. if you dont have a rubber mallet put the nut back on the thread and use a normal hammer.

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
Dr. G
Major General
Rep

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~XxTeexX~ View Post
ah ok, since its at an angle ... support the rotor/spindle with a floor jack. push and flush up the collar into the spring, basically compress the shock. if you dont have a rubber mallet put the nut back on the thread and use a normal hammer.

Thanks for the help man, I managed to get it off this time. I used the same idea of using a downwards force to pop it off with a bit of a twist.
I just started hammering at the plate with a dead blow and after a couple hits it knocked it loose.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #6
#Tee
Major General
Rep

ahah awesome...at least you followed up with a solution unlike others :P

Appreciate 0