E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Anyone trade in their E90 for another?

11-28-2012, 01:28 AM   #1
Bavfan
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 328i

Anyone trade in their E90 for another?

Obviously a marketing ploy, but I've received another letter saying that my car is wanted by the dealer, blah, blah, blah. I can register to get a $2000 voucher towards a new or certified pre owned. Wondering if anyone has done this and/or has an estimated value of my car. I've got a 2007 E90 328i, silver, MT, sport, USB, alarm, PDC, 98K km.

I've only seen 1 car that would interest me in BC, a 2011 328xi, sport, prem, exec, MT, PDC with 23K KM. They're asking $40K.

I haven't been in the market for a car for a couple of yrs so have been a little out of touch of values.

Thinking that best case might be that they would go down 10% to $36K and apply the vouch for another $2K. My assumption is they get paid from BMW. That would bring it to $34K minus trade in value, $20K? If it's $14K, I could deal with it, but I think that's with all of the stars aligning.

Seems BMW has had record sales, so dealers are probably not terribly hungry for deals, so my thinking may be out to lunch and I'm better off hanging onto my E90. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
Thrakos
Audaces fortuna juvat
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black E90 328xi

..go to the dealer and have them evaluate the your car - work your best deal and then bring up the letter and see what happens

..if it's ata BMW dealer, you'll also benefit from a lower interest rate (mine was not from a BMW dealer, so paying 4.99)
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
drevil2k2
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 B9 A4

+1

If you are serious, get a car appraised for trade in value at various dealerships.

http://www.vmrcanada.com/value_menus.../07bm3-es.html

might give you a rough estimate as well as comparing similar vehicles for sale through kijiji and autotrader.

I guess hold off on the 2k deal until they finalize/wiggle the numbers, then go, "I have this thing, so please adjust the price by $2k".
      11-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #4
MyF15+F85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F85 and 2015 F15

Nice try with the voucher, but it is not going to work....
This is a typical invitation to get you hooked on a new car, they will go for either bargaining option or right away for the $2k option....
They are working on a profit system there, there usually is about $5k of margin of profit to be made by the dealer, so if you knock off $2k of the initial price, and will come up with the voucher..... they'll say oh yessss sure, but this is already included in the deal, or something like that. Our prices are already adjusted to your price... blah blah.
How come I know so much, well I got suckered into TWO BMWs within a year. Still love the cars, but I'm the one paying for them not BMW Canada ha ha !
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #5
Bavfan
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 328i

I went to the site to check out the voucher and it's kind of a bad looking site. It looks to be a marketing scheme of the specific dealership as the voucher lists that dealer only. So it's not a BMW marketing campaign but must be that dealership that's running it.
Appreciate 0