E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > HPFP failure FAQ!

04-18-2015, 07:35 AM   #1211
still in school
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

On my way home from work today, I first noticed that my boost was barely building. The throttle was not normal and the car would not accelerate like usual. I then proceed to give it about 80% throttle and boost would build but quickly drop and build again. I decided that it would be best to leave it alone and just cruise the rest of the way home. About 15 miles later, I get a complete loss of power. I had to coast off into the shoulder, which is pretty scary to say the least. As my car was coming to a complete stop, the yellow coolant light lit up. I pulled out my phone to call for a tow truck but decided to turn the car off and back on as a last hope. What do you know, car started right up without any hiccups and boost/throttle response was back to normal. No light or CEL either, maybe from the JB4's autoclear?

-4 months ago, BMW replaced my HPFP with 13517616446, could it have possibly gone bad this soon?
-I have gotten the half engine light before (twice)
-Took it to BMW but they said they couldn't do anything because they couldn't pull any codes.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 08:41 AM   #1212
sx33
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: E92 335i -11

Is it time for HPFP replacement when this sound occours? I've got an appointment in 1,5 week so I have some time investigating on my own.
anyone else had/heard this sound before?

Kind regards
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 03:28 PM   #1213
ArizSun21
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Garage List
I did not want to read 55 pages to get an answer so I will ask the question:
How much does the dealer charge to replace the HPFP?
I have 152k miles and I am still on the original pump.

Thanks,

Chris

'08 335i - Alpine White/Black • H&R Sport • 18% Tint • PROcede V5 • PWM Meth • DCI • • • • 02' Spa Yellow/Black Acura NSX
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 04:41 PM   #1214
enu
Registered
Rep
Drives: '11 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizSun21 View Post
I did not want to read 55 pages to get an answer so I will ask the question:
How much does the dealer charge to replace the HPFP?
I have 152k miles and I am still on the original pump.

Thanks,

Chris
I just had the HPFP fail on my 2011 335i (super low miles too, under 20K). I find it pretty ridiculous that BMW did not extend the HPFP 10-year warranty to N55 based vehicles, since they share the exact same HPFP part as the N54s.

Dealer quote to replace the HPFP was ~$970. I did check local independent BMW shops, and they ranged from $600 - $800. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 10:35 AM   #1215
ArizSun21
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Garage List
Went to an independent mechanic familiar with BMW N54 motors and they said it looks like an injector and intake cleaning issue instead of the HPFP.

'08 335i - Alpine White/Black • H&R Sport • 18% Tint • PROcede V5 • PWM Meth • DCI • • • • 02' Spa Yellow/Black Acura NSX
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 11:18 PM   #1216
Dmoney
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

I was having start-up issues for the last couple of weeks and finally the CEL came on. Pulled the code and it was p3090. Took it to the dealership today and they are replacing the HPFP. Second one replaced, first at 59,000. This one at 88,000. Free under extended warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 09:55 PM   #1217
trevor557
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi

Having issues here too in my '10 n54. Dealer said all 6 cylinders having slight misfire, all 6 injectors need replacing, but no recalls. What gives? I shouldn't be replacing injectors out of pocket for something that has been a consistent issue over the lifeline of the n54 engine. I wonder if calling BMWNA would do anything... I just don't understand what I can do here. So frustrated. Dealer wants around $2500 for all 6 replaced including labor. Can't believe it.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 01:10 AM   #1218
onezoso
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i E90

Lawsuit and HPFP factory defect..

Quote:
Originally Posted by still in school View Post
On my way home from work today, I first noticed that my boost was barely building. The throttle was not normal and the car would not accelerate like usual. I then proceed to give it about 80% throttle and boost would build but quickly drop and build again. I decided that it would be best to leave it alone and just cruise the rest of the way home. About 15 miles later, I get a complete loss of power. I had to coast off into the shoulder, which is pretty scary to say the least. As my car was coming to a complete stop, the yellow coolant light lit up. I pulled out my phone to call for a tow truck but decided to turn the car off and back on as a last hope. What do you know, car started right up without any hiccups and boost/throttle response was back to normal. No light or CEL either, maybe from the JB4's autoclear?

-4 months ago, BMW replaced my HPFP with 13517616446, could it have possibly gone bad this soon?
-I have gotten the half engine light before (twice)
-Took it to BMW but they said they couldn't do anything because they couldn't pull any codes.
I had the 08 535i (n54) with the manufacture defective HPFP amd it would do that. Finally after the 4th time, I had enough proof to initiate a Lemon Law buy back on my car!

There has been a huge lawsuit going on for years now about the faulty pump and you can google and read about it online. BMW. has been quietly offering buy backs because of this class action lawsuit.

I was told by various sources to contact a law firm that deals in Lemon Laws (Im in California) and they will get the ball rolling on it.

I simply called BMWNA directly was very polite and professional, explained my problem and they offered to initiate the buy back process NO lawyers needed!!

I gotta hand it to BMW, within less than one month I was dropping off my car to the dealership and getting a check for the 35 grand I had already paid AND they paid of my remaining loan! So essentially I got to drive a BMW for almost three years FREE OF CHARGE! I walked away Scott free of the whole damn thing!

I used 25K of the 35k and put it down on a sweet CPO 2011 E90, 335i LCI (N55 of course) and love it! Although it too has the mushy feeling throttle response! (
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 07:25 AM   #1219
E92NYC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i

I have a situation. My car sometimes take long cranks before it starts. Not all the time though. It usually happens during cold starts. I just got the car half a year ago and it has CPO warranty. My questions are:

My car doesnt have long cranks all the time. Is there a chance it could it be something else like a bad battery or a starter?

My car is 2011 with almost 60k miles. It is still under CPO warranty. If it is a bad fuel pump, will it covered under CPO?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 07:47 AM   #1220
jt335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i Monaco blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92NYC View Post
I have a situation. My car sometimes take long cranks before it starts. Not all the time though. It usually happens during cold starts. I just got the car half a year ago and it has CPO warranty. My questions are:

My car doesnt have long cranks all the time. Is there a chance it could it be something else like a bad battery or a starter?

My car is 2011 with almost 60k miles. It is still under CPO warranty. If it is a bad fuel pump, will it covered under CPO?
That could most likely be a symptom related to the HPFP begnning to fail. Do you know if it was already replaced? You can check the BMW site if your car was part of the HPFP recall by going to the following link.

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...eoverride=true

You should be able to check the repair history with the dealer to see what was done or get a CarFax report.

The HPFP issue is a factory defect and therefore a mandatory recall so you should be able to have it replaced whether or not your car has a CPO warranty. There is a warranty for the replacement HPFP, but I don't remember exactly. I believe it's 10 yrs/120,000.

If it's not covered under the recall, that's a different story and you would need to check the deals of your CPO warranty to find out what it exactlly covers.
1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL Roadster

Last edited by jt335i; 06-26-2015 at 07:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 07:57 AM   #1221
E92NYC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt335i View Post
That could most likely be a symptom related to the HPFP begnning to fail. Do you know if it was already replaced? You can check the BMW site if your car was part of the HPFP recall by going to the following link.

You should be able to check the repair history with the dealer to see what was done or get a CarFax report.

The HPFP issue is a factory defect and therefore a mandatory recall so you should be able to have it replaced whether or not your car has a CPO warranty. There is a warranty for the replacement HPFP, but I don't remember exactly. I believe it's 10 yrs/120,000.

If it's not covered under the recall, that's a different story and you would need to check the deals of your CPO warranty to find out what it exactlly covers.
There are no open recalls for my vehicle. I thought the HPFP replacement warranty is only for the n54 motors, like the 07 and 08 models.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 09:20 AM   #1222
jt335i
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92NYC View Post
There are no open recalls for my vehicle. I thought the HPFP replacement warranty is only for the n54 motors, like the 07 and 08 models.
Yes. The HPFP replacement covered 335i model years 2007 - 2010.
Had it done on my 2010. Bought mine new, but didn't have any issues with the original and nor with the new replacement.

There were some early 2011 335s with the N55 having HPFP failures. See below link. What is the build date of yours?
Don't think it was as big as the N54 issue. I guess that's why there wasn't a big recall. However, if it starts to be more frequent, you should have it checked just to be sure.

http://http://www.e90post.com/forums...d.php?t=433273
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 04:58 PM   #1223
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Car in for HPFP this morning.
I think it's #6 but it may only be #5.
Need to check my paperwork.

Part coming out and going in is #13517616170.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.

Last edited by techwhiz; 07-15-2015 at 09:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 10:20 AM   #1224
Lickalot
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Convertible

HPFP replaced but BMW said all cylinders misfired!

Hi guys, new here. My 2007 BMW 335i Convertible was having the HPFP replaced. But just when I was going to pick up my car, my service adviser told me the engine light came on while testing it. I was told there was multiple cylinders misfiring! And they will charge me $3000 to fix it, even though the HPFP was replaced for free as per warranty. Does anyone know if the BMW tech simply messed my car up? Because I had gone to a local mechanic before bringing to BMW because the local mechanic scanned and told me it was the HPFP. There were no other codes! Even BMW didn't get any other codes before they replaced the HPFP. And I know it would throw out codes for misfiring. I think the dealer service is trying to make money off me since they are not getting any money from me for the recall. Thanks for any input. I am also waiting for the detail diagnosis from dealer

Last edited by Lickalot; 07-16-2015 at 11:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 11:34 AM   #1225
Lickalot
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by enu View Post
I just had the HPFP fail on my 2011 335i (super low miles too, under 20K). I find it pretty ridiculous that BMW did not extend the HPFP 10-year warranty to N55 based vehicles, since they share the exact same HPFP part as the N54s.

Dealer quote to replace the HPFP was ~$970. I did check local independent BMW shops, and they ranged from $600 - $800. Hope this helps.
There were also reported repeat failures! It is just a poorly designed piece! I am wondering what happens when it failed the second time and is after the extended warranty? Shouldn't the new piece be warrant for another 120,000 miles? lol
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 02:13 PM   #1226
Lickalot
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt335i View Post

I think the car doesn't have to be on a recall. Since the part has an extended warranty so it should qualify providing there is proof. BMW was being slick on this one as not all HPFP between 2007 to 2009 would fail, and the part is expensive, they won't fix it until it is actually broken! That's why the extended warranty! In my case, my car was not on a recall, but since I knew the part is covered, therefore I had my local mechanic scanned it and got the code. I took the car into BMW and have them scan again and confirmed. Replacement and even the diagnostic were free! Unfortunately in my case, BMW said all my cylinders were misfiring and would charge me $3000 to fix them. But that's another story!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 02:23 PM   #1227
Lickalot
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor557 View Post
Having issues here too in my '10 n54. Dealer said all 6 cylinders having slight misfire, all 6 injectors need replacing, but no recalls. What gives? I shouldn't be replacing injectors out of pocket for something that has been a consistent issue over the lifeline of the n54 engine. I wonder if calling BMWNA would do anything... I just don't understand what I can do here. So frustrated. Dealer wants around $2500 for all 6 replaced including labor. Can't believe it.
OMG that is exactly what I am going through now! They told me after replacing the HPFP, they test drove the car and the engine light came on. Then told me there was multiple cylinders misfiring! They told me the price of $3000. WTF! Tell me what happened in your case? I am dealing with this issue right now! OMG
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 10:20 AM   #1228
jt335i
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lickalot View Post
I think the car doesn't have to be on a recall. Since the part has an extended warranty so it should qualify providing there is proof. BMW was being slick on this one as not all HPFP between 2007 to 2009 would fail, and the part is expensive, they won't fix it until it is actually broken! That's why the extended warranty! In my case, my car was not on a recall, but since I knew the part is covered, therefore I had my local mechanic scanned it and got the code. I took the car into BMW and have them scan again and confirmed. Replacement and even the diagnostic were free! Unfortunately in my case, BMW said all my cylinders were misfiring and would charge me $3000 to fix them. But that's another story!
The recall covered 2007–2010 335i models as I previously mentioned so unfortunately the 2011s were not and for those who 2011 who did have HPFP problems, unfortunately, they are having to deal with it on their own. My 2010 was built in November 2009 and luckily I was one of the fortunate 2010 owners who didn’t have any issues with the original or the replacement HPFP.
So far it has been running great and reliable as the first day I drove it home. See my most recent post:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1148570

As for your issue, the misfiring cylinders could be related to the VANOS which was also another recall for your model year, but that is strange that it’s happening all of a sudden while with the dealer. Definitely something suspicious.
Did you have that VANOS recall done already?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 01:38 PM   #1229
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

My car has 122k. I have 3rd party warranty but BMW is covering the HPFP under "good will".
As long as it gets replaced I don't really care. Turbo seals are toast but 3rd party warranty is covering.

Anyway, car back on Monday.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2015, 10:48 PM   #1230
san40k
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i N54 6MT

Replace your spark plugs first and see if misfires disappear.
Dealer wanted to fix my misfires by replacing injectors, i went ahead and replaced plugs myself and the issue was gone. The car was ~70K miles on original spark plugs anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lickalot View Post
Hi guys, new here. My 2007 BMW 335i Convertible was having the HPFP replaced. But just when I was going to pick up my car, my service adviser told me the engine light came on while testing it. I was told there was multiple cylinders misfiring! And they will charge me $3000 to fix it, even though the HPFP was replaced for free as per warranty. Does anyone know if the BMW tech simply messed my car up? Because I had gone to a local mechanic before bringing to BMW because the local mechanic scanned and told me it was the HPFP. There were no other codes! Even BMW didn't get any other codes before they replaced the HPFP. And I know it would throw out codes for misfiring. I think the dealer service is trying to make money off me since they are not getting any money from me for the recall. Thanks for any input. I am also waiting for the detail diagnosis from dealer
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 01:33 PM   #1231
qkibo83
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe MT

HELP...fuel pump speed?

Hi all,

about 2 weeks ago at around 62K my water pump gave out and left me stranded on the highway. I replaced that myself and thought all my problems would be fixed. Not the case...

The car was running fine for few days but then i noticed once i pulled into the garage from work that there was this loud noise almost as if the fan was running at full speed. From what i have read on the forums that is one of the symptoms of the water pump going out, but i just replaced the darn thing (bought parts from dealer). As a side note, the car has been running fine under normal driving, however under sudden acceleration it would sputter as if it was misfiring. I hooked up the car to my Rheingold software (i'm still learning how to properly use/navigate this software) and noticed i had the following three new codes in the fault memory:

0029CC (DME: Combustion misfires, several cylinders)
0029CE (DME: Combustion misfires, cylinder 2)
0029D2 (DME: Combustion misfires, cylinder 6)

I took a screen shot of the fault memory and then performed "delete fault memory". Immediately i felt the difference in idle. Took the car for a spin and on the highway to re-generate codes and it ran like new. For past 4 days i have been hooking it up to the Rhenigold and there are no faults whatsoever. However i still feel the sputtering or misfiring when i do a sudden acceleration. I navigated through almost all different options of Rheigold and then when i call up the ECU function and do the Diagnosis scan there are three options:

1. Actual speed, fuel pump (for speed control only)
2. Setpoint delivery quantity, fuel pump (for speed control only)
3. Setpoint speed, fuel pump (for speed control only)

When i clicked to view the real time values they kept moving but more or less they were:

1. 3409 1/min
2. 149 l/h
3. 7029 1/min

Based on the real time values the actual speed of the fuel pump speed was a little more than half the set point. Is this normal or is this an indication of a upcoming pump failure. I think the HPFP is still under the 10yr 120K mile warranty.

Please help with this i do not want to take it to the delaer as i am out of warranty other than the HPFP which is still covered. According BMW USA rep the dealer will charge diagnostic fee of more than $150 if its not the HPFP but if it is they will replace it and eat both the HPFP and diagnostic costs.

Thank you for your input
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 09:59 AM   #1232
E92NYC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I have a fuel pump going out. Does anyone know if fuel pump are covered with n55? I called them and they said they are not covered under CPO or any other warranty. That is some bullshit. I feel like anything is not covered under warranty. Whats the point of buying warranty then
Appreciate 0