E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Winter tire rental for 10/17 ED???

09-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
Aacaron
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: ED E92 335i Oct 17

Garage List
2012 335i e92  [0.00]
Winter tire rental for 10/17 ED???

Hi guys,
Not sure if this goes here or in the tire thread, but wondering if anyone knows when winter tires are "required" in Germany. I had read that they are required starting in November, but I recently received an email stating they are required after 10/15. Just wondering if anyone know the official time.

thx.

update: This is what I have found so far
The new German law does not set any time limits, but it does clearly state that under icy conditions (bei Glatteis, Schneeglätte, Schneematsch, Eis- und Reifglätte) you must not drive without snow tires on your vehicle. So, since it’s difficult to predict the weather, for all practical purposes, the old “von O bis O” rule still applies. (In Austria, winter tires are mandatory from November 1 to April 15.)

So it appears that the tires are needed for no specific time frame in Germany, but instead based on the conditions of a given day.?

Last edited by Aacaron; 09-19-2011 at 11:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 05:49 PM   #2
redgreen
Registered
Rep
Drives: M3

Having same issue, picking mine up the same day

I'm picking up my M3 sedan the same day and am waiting to hear back from BMW about the the tire issue. I'm planning on heading to Spain immediately, so I'm really hoping to avoid the hassle of getting snow tires for a few hundred miles to get out of Germany. My dealer thought they might require it on a leased car after the 15th. Hopefully will know very soon, the 17th is coming right up!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #3
Aacaron
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 335i e92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by redgreen View Post
I'm picking up my M3 sedan the same day and am waiting to hear back from BMW about the the tire issue. I'm planning on heading to Spain immediately, so I'm really hoping to avoid the hassle of getting snow tires for a few hundred miles to get out of Germany. My dealer thought they might require it on a leased car after the 15th. Hopefully will know very soon, the 17th is coming right up!

What time are you picking it up? I am picking mine up @400 and User "Sams" is picking his up at 330. We are both doing the tour @ 11.
I think you will be ok with summer tires as long as the weather remains decent.. If for some reason it snows, which it shouldn't, we would be required to have the winter tires on. Leasing or not shouldn't make a difference.
      10-05-2011, 06:48 PM   #4
redgreen
Registered
Rep
Drives: M3

Looks like I split the difference! I pick up @ 3:40. I'll have the Space Grey M3 sedan with the ZCP package. Sounds like I'll see you on the tour and and the lounge. Can't believe it is coming up so soon now.

Also I did find out the tires don't look to be a issue. BMW recommends them on 10/15 but the law is only comes in play if you are found to be driving in snow or ice with summer tires. I want to avoid those conditions for a host of reasons. A little research sowed that Munich is typically in the low 50's in the latter part of October so I don't think it is much of a gamble. I can always have them put on if the forecast is bad when I arrive.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 08:51 PM   #5
Aacaron
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 335i e92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by redgreen View Post
Looks like I split the difference! I pick up @ 3:40. I'll have the Space Grey M3 sedan with the ZCP package. Sounds like I'll see you on the tour and and the lounge. Can't believe it is coming up so soon now.

Also I did find out the tires don't look to be a issue. BMW recommends them on 10/15 but the law is only comes in play if you are found to be driving in snow or ice with summer tires. I want to avoid those conditions for a host of reasons. A little research sowed that Munich is typically in the low 50's in the latter part of October so I don't think it is much of a gamble. I can always have them put on if the forecast is bad when I arrive.
Name is Antonio, I will be there with the girlfriend, hope to see you at the tour.