E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > ar or rr catted downpipes?

04-11-2009, 04:31 PM   #1
Bomis
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

ar or rr catted downpipes?

Hi!

Cant decide wich ones to go with and need help, ar or rr catted downpipes? Do i need o2 sims? Are both bolt on or do they need any mods to fit??

How much difference is it with catted or catless dp's in whp?

My car is a 2007 e90 335 from november 2006

One more question, wich spark plugs are the best to go with because im going to switch soon??

Thanks in advance

Michael

EURO E92 M3 2008 6MT Interlagos ///Fully Loaded! Evolve-R ECU Flash/Gintani Sport Exhaust/MS Stg2 Intake Kit/H&R Springs/MS 18/15 mm spacers/Bmw Perf. Grills/Gloss Black side gills/LCI Tails/LUX V3's/RD license plate leds
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
vegasspeed
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 6MT coupe Montego Blue

I have catted DP's from Ulitimate racing. Their dynos show about 20whp increase with catted and 30whp with catless. Now if you aren't concerned about smog checkes, SES lights and emissions, catless is the way to go. Howevver, I went catted since it was still a good upgrade in hp and i don't have to use O2 sims or get lights turned off my dash.

There are actually 3 companies that make the downpipes. AR is relatively new here but they have done some good work I hear. Riss Racing is big but they have had some negative feedback from a few customers. I bought mine used and had no problems with lights or emissions. However, don't expect the fit to be exactly perfect when you pull the other pipes and put these up. "Bolt On" is code for "needs minor work" to make it fit. I had a shop do it and I watched and helped for the second half of it. This is not an easy job by any means.
      04-11-2009, 05:07 PM   #3
LilWhiteOne
Banned
Rep
Drives: Quick

Try the cpe catted pipes, I've heard nothing but praise about these. No cel, no fitment issues. A little pricy though.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 05:23 PM   #4
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

The ar design pipes are perfect fit Should not require any extracurricular activities to get these bolted up

Most people go with catless, and if you go with catted depending on company you may or may not need o2 sims.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 05:37 PM   #5
Bomis
Captain
Sweden
Rep

so i dont need o2 sims with the catted ar ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
The ar design pipes are perfect fit Should not require any extracurricular activities to get these bolted up

Most people go with catless, and if you go with catted depending on company you may or may not need o2 sims.

Mike

EURO E92 M3 2008 6MT Interlagos ///Fully Loaded! Evolve-R ECU Flash/Gintani Sport Exhaust/MS Stg2 Intake Kit/H&R Springs/MS 18/15 mm spacers/Bmw Perf. Grills/Gloss Black side gills/LCI Tails/LUX V3's/RD license plate leds
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 05:39 PM   #6
Bomis
Captain
Sweden
Rep

ok. where can i find more info about these ones?? price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWhiteOne View Post
Try the cpe catted pipes, I've heard nothing but praise about these. No cel, no fitment issues. A little pricy though.

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 05:40 PM   #7
stimpy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomis View Post
so i dont need o2 sims with the catted ar ones?
Correct. You will also most likely pass smog when the time comes. But you won't get full advantage out of the downpipes (pickup another 10ish horse with catless). Catted are typically a couple hundred bucks more expensive also.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 05:41 PM   #8
Bomis
Captain
Sweden
Rep

so whats the difference in whp with catted or catless regarding the ar's??

Quote:

Mike

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 05:44 PM   #9
Bomis
Captain
Sweden
Rep

im just worried about the car throwing codes and when leaving the car for the yearly inspection or what u call it in us. How safe is it not throwing codes with the bms o2 sims?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
Correct. You will also most likely pass smog when the time comes. But you won't get full advantage out of the downpipes (pickup another 10ish horse with catless). Catted are typically a couple hundred bucks more expensive also.

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 05:45 PM   #10
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

AR or RR? It should be obvious to go with AR, PLEASE learn from my mistake.........

GL

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 05:52 PM   #11
eunosracr
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Everyone who has AR pipes are super happy with them. Most people with RR pipes I have talked to complain about the fitment and poor design.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 05:52 PM   #12
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep

Info about the ar pipes can be found on my site.. www.n54tuning.com

With the catted ones I believe you should have absolutely no CEL and perfect fitment and absolutely stunning pipes. (I run a set on my car - catless)

Mike
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 05:55 PM   #13
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

go with the AR design - made in the USA, and have awesome fitment
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 05:57 PM   #14
JB335
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335is

Garage List
2011 BMW 335IS  [7.60]
AR all day. Andrew is a great guy to do business with. I had some questions about my exhaust install, completely unrelated to the downpipes, and we bullshitted (bullshat?) on the phone for a good 25 minutes trying to diagnose my problem.

Great product, great price, and an awesome businessman.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 06:02 PM   #15
Bomis
Captain
Sweden
Rep

whats no CEL?? for a guy from sweden

so mike...with all the things we have discussed....jb3, dci etc wich ones to go with?? this is my daily driver...dont want any problems...

Quote:
Info about the ar pipes can be found on my site.. www.n54tuning.com

With the catted ones I believe you should have absolutely no CEL and perfect fitment and absolutely stunning pipes. (I run a set on my car - catless)

Mike

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 06:03 PM   #16
Bomis
Captain
Sweden
Rep

any suggestions regarding the spark plugs to go with????

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 06:04 PM   #17
stimpy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
so whats the difference in whp with catted or catless regarding the ar's??
It's about the same for all downpipes. Catted will cost you about 10whp.

Quote:
im just worried about the car throwing codes and when leaving the car for the yearly inspection or what u call it in us. How safe is it not throwing codes with the bms o2 sims?
Honestly - if you are going to do downpipes, I would invest in a BT Scanner (or if you have a Procede - CANBus) so you can clear codes. You are now approaching the territory of having a heavily modified car and I wouldn't risk it without the ability to delete codes.

Catted you *should* have no codes ever. On the install guide of O2 sims, it does state there is a slight chance of throwing a code in long trips.

Me personally - I am a research fanatic. I research a product I'm going to buy until my face turns blue and then research it more. I went Catless + O2 sims (AR Design if you want to know). If I am already doing downpipes, I might as well go catless as I will already be removing them for service and warranty work. When I have to smog my car 5-7 years from now - I should be well skilled on replacing my stockers for that.

Quote:
any suggestions regarding the spark plugs to go with????

OEM. There is no good aftermarket solution on the market yet.

Quote:
whats no CEL?? for a guy from sweden

so mike...with all the things we have discussed....jb3, dci etc wich ones to go with?? this is my daily driver...dont want any problems...
NO CEL = no Check Engine Light
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 06:17 PM   #18
Bomis
Captain
Sweden
Rep

im not worried about warranty, because i will pay around 300$ to the tuningshop for a insurance that will cover engine failure, drivetrain and everything and my warranty is already out....

this is my order to n54 as we speak:

jb3
dci
ar catless or catted (most likely)
Digital Boost/Tuning Gauge
Chip Burner
Modified Clutch Valve
BMS DownPipe Fix (have2have)

and 19" linea corse dyna polished wheels

ha ha ha and this will be my daily driver....

What rwhp can i expect?

Quote:

Honestly - if you are going to do downpipes, I would invest in a BT Scanner (or if you have a Procede - CANBus) so you can clear codes. You are now approaching the territory of having a heavily modified car and I wouldn't risk it without the ability to delete codes.

Catted you *should* have no codes ever. On the install guide of O2 sims, it does state there is a slight chance of throwing a code in long trips.

Me personally - I am a research fanatic. I research a product I'm going to buy until my face turns blue and then research it more. I went Catless + O2 sims (AR Design if you want to know). If I am already doing downpipes, I might as well go catless as I will already be removing them for service and warranty work. When I have to smog my car 5-7 years from now - I should be well skilled on replacing my stockers for that.

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 06:18 PM   #19
Bomis
Captain
Sweden
Rep

do i really need a bt scanner?? cant my tuningshop solve that for me??

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 06:30 PM   #20
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

I would get one- first you wont be dependant on a shops hours (I like working on the car at night), and second, you will learn more about the car rather than just paying someone to do it for you
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 06:33 PM   #21
Bomis
Captain
Sweden
Rep

ok, im not used to working with my car besides handwash it and change tyres...

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkish335 View Post
I would get one- first you wont be dependant on a shops hours (I like working on the car at night), and second, you will learn more about the car rather than just paying someone to do it for you

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 10:35 PM   #22
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep

Quote:
im not worried about warranty, because i will pay around 300$ to the tuningshop for a insurance that will cover engine failure, drivetrain and everything and my warranty is already out....

this is my order to n54 as we speak:

jb3
dci
ar catless or catted (most likely)
Digital Boost/Tuning Gauge
Chip Burner
Modified Clutch Valve
BMS DownPipe Fix (have2have)

and 19" linea corse dyna polished wheels

ha ha ha and this will be my daily driver....

What rwhp can i expect?
at this rate in a few days there won't be any more part to replace on your daily driver.

The BT tool is good to have so you can do things on your own time, and its a great investment for the price. IF your shop has a GT1 scanner and you are close to them and on good terms then maybe its something you might not absolutely need to get, but I would definitely advise it be put on the wish list as a future gift to yourself.

Like others have mentioned the most popular way to go is with the catless pipes, as you are replacing them anyways so you might as well get the most flow as possible. I just got my ar design pipes installed a few weeks ago and they work flawlessly and with the BMS o2 sims I have not seen a code.

Mike
Appreciate 0