E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Thinking of this clear bra for rear bumper (inexpensive)...opinions?

07-24-2007, 08:55 PM   #1
KEVIN88GT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Audi A4

Thinking of this clear bra for rear bumper (inexpensive)...opinions?

http://www.lanescarproducts.com/clbuingu.html

the strip would cost me ~70-90 bucks plus my time to install it... I just dont know how easy it will be being that the e90 rear bumper (335xi) has a crease in the middle....

How much would it cost to get it professionally done (just the rear bumper) with the THICK clear bra..... It would probably have a much better fit and finish.

I'm in Brooklyn NY if it matters
'07 335xi
'06 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 11:16 PM   #2
msinfo_us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335Xi ZSP, ZCW, PDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN88GT View Post
http://www.lanescarproducts.com/clbuingu.html

the strip would cost me ~70-90 bucks plus my time to install it... I just dont know how easy it will be being that the e90 rear bumper (335xi) has a crease in the middle....

How much would it cost to get it professionally done (just the rear bumper) with the THICK clear bra..... It would probably have a much better fit and finish.

I'm in Brooklyn NY if it matters
Rear bumper would be easy to do. Just don't forget to stretch (not too much) it if you decide to cover the bottom portion too (curves) with one piece. I suggest either to practice first or cover all the way down to curved part and use a separate piece for the curved portion. As for the sharp line in the middle. I’d install over it and let it stick (take few seconds when solution based on alcohol is pushed away or a minute or so if you use shampoo solution). Than I’d use a detailing knife to cut as close as you feel safe to the borders of the line and press the corners left in. You can buy a bulk film on a eBay and save a few $$. There is a DIY that I wrote in DIY section you can reference if you'd like. I hope this helps. GL

PS I lived in Brooklyn for 5 years and I know first hand what parking in NYC can do to your bumper :mad: . You are on a right track and clear bra should help from most of the damage except when smb parks his SUV/track/1970-1990 junk next to you by sound. Also, keep in mind that clear bra itself is going to look like s$$t very soon but paint under should be safer.
      07-25-2007, 04:30 PM   #3
KEVIN88GT
Captain
Rep

msinfo....any chance you want to help a brother out? I'll buy all the stuff...just need some guidance... you did an awesome job on your clear bra job I dont mind making it worth while for you with say a 100 dollar BMW accessories gift card or something.... if you can let me know....if not.. maybe you can reccomend someone? The worst would be for me to buy all thuis stuff and be stuck in the middle of the projoect and ruin the film...
'07 335xi
'06 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2007, 07:49 PM   #4
msinfo_us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335Xi ZSP, ZCW, PDC

Kevin, I wish I can promise to help you but the truth is I am traveling quite a bit for my job and I try to spend time I am home with my family. But if you go with a very simple approach as I draw for you here (where red line is a precut film and green line is post installation cut) you will have hard time ruining it. The installation is pretty much almost over flat surface and should be very easy. The only line you will need to align is a line on the top. I'd leave an extra 1/4 - 1/2" on the bottom and it should hide nicely inside the curve. In a second picture I draw another option where there is practically nothing to align (just make sure it is symmetrical on a left and right site of the bumper) but you’ll have to cut a little bit more with detailing knife. Also not a problem if you practice first and don’t cut all the way thru to the paint. Just follow instructions in my DIY and you'll have no problems and feel proud about the work you did.

PS Please note this is the easiest way to do it but you will see a line on a bumper corner. It won't be horrible and most people not going to notice it but YOU are going to know it is there and see it.
Attached Images

07-27-2007, 04:37 PM   #5
KEVIN88GT
Captain
Rep

thanks for the info...and the drawing...I really appreciate it.
'07 335xi
'06 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro
Appreciate 0