E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Aux-in not working when car is running?

08-24-2010, 08:08 PM   #1
redfred18t
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Aux-in not working when car is running?

Hey everyone

I noticed a few weeks ago that my aux in wasnt working. I figured it was the cheap cable being broken. Today I used my gf's aux cable and it still didn't work while the car was running. But, when I turned the engine off, it worked fine. It seems like all I get is a little bit of signal noise when the car is running.

Has anyone had this happen to them? I dont want to bring it to the dealer to only have them tell me it's not covered. It's also kind of annoying listening to satelite radio play the same songs every day (hell, I heard the same song three times today on the same station throughout the day).
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 11:57 AM   #2
redfred18t
First Lieutenant
Rep

does anyone have any ideas about this? I asked about it while I brought the car in for service and they didn't want to touch it because I had a usb cable in my glovebox (its for my procede, they thought it was A/V related lol) but also the previous owner added a dvd player or something to the car. I honestly have no idea what it does, but it is not hooked up to power. I dont see how this could affect my auxiliary-in and nothing else. For what it's worth, I have iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 12:21 PM   #3
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Can you select AUX in your iDrive/radio?

Have you checked the routing of the wire? Making sure the insulation is not cut anywhere? You mentioned the previous owner put in a DVD player....he could have easily messed something up.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 12:30 PM   #4
redfred18t
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yes I can select it, as I said, it works perfectly fine when the engine is not running. When my engine is running, there is no output. Still shows up on the screen but I hear nothing. Are you referring to the aux cable or the wire from the aux input to wherever it goes inside the car?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 12:31 PM   #5
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfred18t View Post
Yes I can select it, as I said, it works perfectly fine when the engine is not running. When my engine is running, there is no output. Still shows up on the screen but I hear nothing. Are you referring to the aux cable or the wire from the aux input to wherever it goes inside the car?
I'm talking about the AUX jack running from the radio to your center console.

This is strange. I have never heard of anything like this. What about other sources? Radio/CD work fine?

BTW, NAV/audio related stuff is not covered under CPO warranty. I can't tell if your still under the new car warranty because you have an '07...which could still be in that 4 year period.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 12:35 PM   #6
redfred18t
First Lieutenant
Rep

My warranty is up next month and I'm trying to wrap up as many small issues as I can lol.

Radio, CD, and Sat work fine. nav works fine. Everything car audio related works perfect except the aux jack.

I will check the cable to see if its messed up or anything. Do you guys think maybe a software update could help it?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 12:49 PM   #7
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
I don't think a software update will help....but thinking about it now. I think your AUX is faulty. I would get that replaced under warranty.

And it should be covered under warranty. Did your DEALER tell you that the previous owner installed a DVD unit? If they knew the previous dealer installed something, they can't blame you for messing it up. Although because the procede ties into your ECU, the dealer might try to blame that as the cause....it is electrical afterall.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 03:39 PM   #8
redfred18t
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
I don't think a software update will help....but thinking about it now. I think your AUX is faulty. I would get that replaced under warranty.

And it should be covered under warranty. Did your DEALER tell you that the previous owner installed a DVD unit? If they knew the previous dealer installed something, they can't blame you for messing it up. Although because the procede ties into your ECU, the dealer might try to blame that as the cause....it is electrical afterall.
Do you know if the AUX is like a control box or anything? I didnt get a chance to take the center console panel or any of that stuff today.

Anyways, I'm considering going to a different dealer and seeing what they have to say about it. The place I go to around my house sucks but its so damn convenient being 5 minutes from me.
Appreciate 0