E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Touchscreen head unit

10-24-2022, 08:26 PM   #1
TuaLaoch
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Touchscreen head unit

Hello! I am brand new to the forum and the proud owner of a 2006 BMW 330i with no iDrive.
If I overlooked a post that already addressed this issue, I apologize for that.
I am looking into getting touchscreen head unit for my car and don't want to cut into the dash to install a 10.25" or 12" screen. I just can't bear to maul the dash like that. So, I was looking at units that would fit above the climate controls. I'm not quite sure what audio system is currently in the car. There are two tweeters on the door above the door panel, a center dash speaker, and six other speakers I can see from inside the car. I am assuming it thus has the top hifi/Logic 7 system, correct? I do have the seat heater buttons below the climate controls, though.
At this point, I am rather confused about what to get and how to do it. I've seen stuff about DAC, which sounds good since I don't want to go through the Aux port. Frankly, I don't really know much about the BMW audio system at all.
The Joying system here looks good:
But I don't know what specs to give them or what is required for the installation.
If some of you guys could point me in the right direction, I would certainly appreciate it.
Thanks!

Last edited by TuaLaoch; 10-24-2022 at 10:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 08:28 PM   #2
TuaLaoch
Rep

The link didn't work, so I am just going to post the URL:
https://www.joyingauto.com/joying-9-...1-e92-e93.html
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 09:01 AM   #3
andy_06xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

I'm very happy with my Eonon 9465. There are newer units out -- but this works fine and looks more OEM than newer units with larger screens. It has real buttons that match the existing look. Still keeps the CD/DVD player if you care. Price is right too at $199.

You'll need the RCA-to-Fiber device that Eonon sells as well if you have Logic 7 (I do). Note that you lose front-to-back fade capability as only stereo gets sent over the Fiber.

If you have heated seats and still want buttons for that -- you can get a later version of the temp control console that has seat heater buttons included (as you'll be removing the panel that currently has these on your car to allow the temp control console to slide down). This LCI version of the temp control console is plug-and-play with your 2006.

You will get a 'SOS' error on start-up. You can either ignore or get it coded out.

If you want to avoid the unit rebooting on each start -- you should run an 'always on' +12v to the unit either from the fuse box or the battery. I did this and the standby current is small enough not to worry about.

I do have an occasional problem where the unit loses the date/time (but hasn't rebooted). Not a big deal as it quickly picks it up via GPS.
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2022, 09:22 AM   #4
andy_06xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

A couple of other notes. The Eonon unit can support wired carplay via a dongle -- but not wireless -- as the Joying unit you linked to can. However, I find this is not a factor -- as I use the unit itself for applications rather than my phone. I've downloaded maps onto an SD card which is permanently installed -- so all navigation uses Google Maps running locally on the device.

This requires no cell connection. But if you want to use on-line maps (for traffic for example) you can have the unit tether your phone via wifi.

Another note -- if you are planning to install a backup camera, there are ones made for the E90 that replace the trunk handle for a very neat installation. While available for less than $30 -- I'd recommend paying $50 for a better quality one.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 03:52 PM   #5
TuaLaoch
Rep

Ok. Thanks for the information. I guess I kind of need a list of all the things I need to do it properly and where to find those things. I've never had to deal with the many variables when I have replaced other head units.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 04:31 PM   #6
andy_06xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well one reason you need to take so much into account is that these units do so many things.

So you need to figure out your back-up camera, microphone, and GPS antenna placement -- but these are things you wouldn't need if you just want music. The base functionality is pretty plug and play. Note that even seat heaters don't require a new climate control panel. You can access the seat heaters through the touch screen menu if you want.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 04:40 PM   #7
TuaLaoch
Rep

That's good. I would rather not have to relocate the seat heaters. I would like a back-up camera and microphone (I just use Google maps on my phone, so GPS is irrelevant on the unit), but I don't want to run my music through the aux port, so I suppose I am somewhat limited in my choices.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 05:30 PM   #8
andy_06xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

You don't have to relocate your seat heater to have buttons. Buy this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/22522003142...Bk9SR7zd75OCYQ

and install in place of your existing climate control panel -- which you have to remove (and modify) in any case.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 05:45 PM   #9
andy_06xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Note the replacement climate control panel that I recommended has the 'ALL' button (which locks the temperature of passenger and driver together) rather than the 'REST' button (which allows you to use the heater after turning off the engine) in your current unit.

If you prefer your current 'REST' functionality (and I did) you can get the unit coded to the previous functionality (of course the button will still say 'ALL') I had this done when I had the 'SOS error' coded out.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2022, 01:23 PM   #10
earlster
Rep
Drives: BMW 328ix E91, BMW 335is Vert

As another option, there is also Avinusa. https://avinusa.com/9-multimedia-nav...1-e92-e93.html
I have one of their iDrive setups, which I like a lot. This looks to be a bit different, though.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 01:40 PM   #11
TuaLaoch
Rep

Thanks for the advice, people. Hopefully, I can figure this all out and buy all the right stuff I'll need for a successful installation.

I see that the Eonon has 3gb/32gb and the Avinusa has a maximum of 4gb/64gb. Is that enough?
There are so many options for the Avinusa and I have no idea exactly what to get. As I said in the original post, I believe I have the Logic 7 system with the tweeters above the doors and the central dash speaker. Would that be accurate?
Honestly, I'm usually not not slow about things and I hate to sound like an idiot (perhaps I am), but while trying to price out the Avinusa option, they have a multitude of options, whereas the Eonon has virtually none. Does the Eonon already come with everything I would need?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 02:56 PM   #12
TuaLaoch
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_06xi View Post
You don't have to relocate your seat heater to have buttons. Buy this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/22522003142...Bk9SR7zd75OCYQ

and install in place of your existing climate control panel -- which you have to remove (and modify) in any case.
This is a good idea!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 03:57 PM   #13
andy_06xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuaLaoch View Post
Thanks for the advice, people. Hopefully, I can figure this all out and buy all the right stuff I'll need for a successful installation.

I see that the Eonon has 3gb/32gb and the Avinusa has a maximum of 4gb/64gb. Is that enough?
There are so many options for the Avinusa and I have no idea exactly what to get. As I said in the original post, I believe I have the Logic 7 system with the tweeters above the doors and the central dash speaker. Would that be accurate?
Honestly, I'm usually not not slow about things and I hate to sound like an idiot (perhaps I am), but while trying to price out the Avinusa option, they have a multitude of options, whereas the Eonon has virtually none. Does the Eonon already come with everything I would need?

In both cases you'd need to buy the fiber optic adapter due to your Logic 7 System. I see the Avinusa offers a trunk handle camera. Obviously if you want a camera, you need to buy one. I bought this from Amazon and the quality is good:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

but there are cheaper ones for 1/2 the price.

As far as what processor/memory to get - I suppose that depends on how many apps you plan to download. The Eonon configuration I have works fine for my needs -- but I haven't downloaded many apps. My Google Maps are on a 64GB SD card which I leave installed -- so I don't use the internal memory for that (even so -- I think I only use about 4GB of the SD card). Similarly any music would be on USB stick or on my phone, rather than downloaded.

The main criteria for me for how integrated it looked -- and the Eonon won hands down.

If you do go the Avinusa I route -- I'd recommend the Qualcomm processor, but only because I work for Qualcomm

Last edited by andy_06xi; 10-28-2022 at 04:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 04:09 PM   #14
andy_06xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I should add that the Eonon (and I presume the Avinusa) comes with a microphone -- but I used the existing OEM mic instead and spliced into the car's wiring -- so I can't speak to its quality.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 06:34 PM   #15
earlster
Rep
Drives: BMW 328ix E91, BMW 335is Vert

This might be different for me since I have iDrive, I have Logic7 and I kept the BMW radio headunit. I plugged the AUX from the Avin straight into the back of the headunit, just had to code to use the headunit AUX instead of the center console AUX.
That said, in your case I assume that you are completely replacing the factory headunit?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2022, 05:05 PM   #16
scanspeak
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 325i 12/2007

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1706495
Appreciate 0