E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY Roller Sun Blind for rear window - Retrofit

02-19-2012, 11:00 AM   #45
coupèpassion
Rep
Drives: E92 prerest

Hi
GREAT DIY!!
I have got e92 and i have a problem at the point 5:

5-Top Tether eyelets for child seat. LACTH. Easy after you located the screws.
I can't find the screws.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 09:48 PM   #46
rmicroys
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i X-Drive

Bump for a great DIY thread.

Thank god I didn't take it to the dealership to get reamed at 125$ an hour to install this.

Thanks for posting the instructions on this thread. Just installed my rear blind. Not complicated, even the drilling of the holes after measuring was not bad at all! Very clear instructions.

I was worried about the rear side plastic panels according to the OP, the trick is to just pull them forward towards the front of the car and they pop right out. Now, that is for a 2011 335i x-drive, I think the mounting design and clips for the 'airbag' plastic covers at the rear window have certainly changed over the years.

The only tricky part I found was to gently remove the little covers on the child anchors without damaging them.

What a very nice piece! My two year old daughter will enjoy the new shade imensely. As far as installs go, I rate this as a 7/10 for difficulty. By far the measuring was the most complicated part of the entire task, once I matched the images in the instructions to the parts once off the car it was very clear. I measured once, made my marks, double checked and drilled. The only thing I found upon reinstallation of all the parts was the little bolt covers on the child anchors were a very tight fit to get them in to the right position - if they ever need to come off now, it will be a challenge to get a screw driver in the rear of the clip to lift it off.

Thanks again!

Last edited by rmicroys; 09-22-2012 at 09:53 PM.. Reason: added info about my car particulars...
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 10:34 AM   #47
berger12
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i Xdrive Sedan M Sport

Rear Window Shelf Mounting Brackets- E90 Roller Sun Blind

Does anyone have the 2 mounting brackets that secure the E90 rear roller sun blind to the rear window shelf? Part D on page 3 in the parts overview attached below. I am missing these parts. I have tried to get them through BMW but there is no part number for these. I would have to buy a new sunblind to get them through BMW.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf E90sunblind.pdf (762.9 KB, 416 views)

Last edited by berger12; 12-01-2013 at 11:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 05:47 PM   #48
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
I would just like to update an old DIY. I have a 2006 E90 330i with factor rear power sunshade and Winter convenience package.

You will have to remove the rear seat side cushions. Pull on the top edges toward the front. They are simply clipped on. You will also need to remove the inner C-pillars. Carefully remove the plastic airbag logos with a tiny screwdriver, then using a small torx screwdriver, unscrew the one torx screw. I then used a clip fastener removal tool, compliments of Harbor Freight, then carefully loosened the front clip. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO COMPLETELY REMOVE THE CLIP. Further, do not forcefully pull on the C-pillar cover as you will break the plastic. At this point, simply slide the top of the C-pillar cover toward the front of the car. It will slide out!

The DIY pretty much explains the rest, but in short, you will have to remove a series of plastic pins (front), three large torx bolts atop the deck (child seat fasteners), and three bolts from within the trunk under the deck lid.

As you slide the rear deck out, you will need to disconnect the power connector to the sunshade and one speaker wire connector from left speaker, and one from the right speaker.
      03-21-2016, 02:40 PM   #49
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Deep Sea Blue

Considering the tearing-apart-your-car just to get the manual shade DIY-Retrofit done this 5 minute/$69/No Tool Required DIY would blow your mind:

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE MY BMW E90 MODS:
http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...Mod&UcId=20832
Appreciate 0