E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Things you didnt know about your 3 series.

01-22-2007, 05:45 PM   #221
Norsk
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
This isn't quite right.

When you press the button it says:

"DTC activated, DSC restricted"

Clearly this means DTC is NOT on until you press the button.
Wow , I don't mean to be sarcastic...but this can't be so hard to understand is it?

DTC is one of the components of DSC {DSC (including DTC) is on by default when you start the car}!

When you press the button only once, the light is a warning to let you know (be careful... that's why it's orange and not green) that only DTC is left.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2007, 06:34 PM   #222
yowsa
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbdurham View Post
What is the sound quality like with sirius...I have yet to get a subscription although I have the option because XM sound quality in my other car is horrible.

Check out this thread:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1732

E92 335i, TiAg, Black Leather, Aluminum Trim, 6spd Manual

Sport, Premium, Cold, Nav, PDC, CA, SIRIUS
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2007, 06:43 PM   #223
mbdurham
Commander in Chief
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by yowsa View Post

Cool thanks.

So I guess I should skip Sirius and stick with my ipod. I don't know if Stern is worth $140 year
07 E90 335i / JET BLACK / TERRA / WALNUT / NAVI / PREMIUM / SPORT / COMFORT ACCESS / HEATED SEATS / SIRIUS / OEM CD CHANGER / OEM LIP SPOILER / OEM AW MATS & CARGO LINER / OEM AL PEDALS / OEM BLACK LINES / OEM JACK KIT / OEM MOBILITY KIT / OEM WHEEL LOCKS / 35% TINT / 19" M6 REPS / 245/275 MICHELIN PILOT SPORT A/S
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2007, 08:27 PM   #224
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777ER View Post
explosvise canisters...when you get in a bad accident, they get triggered to pull the rear seatbelt tight.

Ever played with one of those things before?

I brought used black M3 seats for my '74 Nova ($200!) , took them out because they wouldn't fit a chevy buckle.

Put - and + to the yellow wires going into that tube...and watch it pop then jump with a light puff of smoke!
HAHAHAHAHA are u serious?!?!?!?!?!?!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2007, 09:36 PM   #225
777ER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScheerSpeed View Post
HAHAHAHAHA are u serious?!?!?!?!?!?!
Yes I'm serious.

I took it off the front black electric powered M3 seats and put it in the middle of my garage floor on top of a bucket with a long spool of wire going to a car battery. And I was expecting it to shoot a hole in the garage wall. All it did was pop then it jumped off the bucket with a puff of smoke.

As I inspected it after discharging it, the buckle is shorter now but under tight spring load (takes muscle to move it)
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2007, 10:27 PM   #226
bmwguy335
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan

cruise control

when you use cruise control when the headlights are on a little marker slides around the speedometer to the speed you have set...pretty nifty

E90 335i sedan, titanium silver, black leather w/ brushed aluminum, SP, PP, step, comfort access, ALSO
E92 335i coupe, sparkling graphite, black leather, brushed aluminum, SP,PP, i-drive, comfort access
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2007, 07:56 AM   #227
335inSC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguy335 View Post
when you use cruise control when the headlights are on a little marker slides around the speedometer to the speed you have set...pretty nifty
I think it does this whether you have the lights on or not. But it is pretty cool either way.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2007, 09:03 AM   #228
poiney
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

"Atlas Mode On" and "Atlas Mode Off" work much more reliably in voice command than without the "mode"
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2007, 10:16 AM   #229
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335inSC View Post
I think it does this whether you have the lights on or not. But it is pretty cool either way.
Indeed, the lights don't have to be on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2007, 10:35 AM   #230
PiperD
Clutch pedal >> Dead pedal
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 e92 335is 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWorf View Post
I believe the manual states that the seat heater will resume if the car is started within 30 minutes.
My bad
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2007, 02:07 PM   #231
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsk View Post
Wow , I don't mean to be sarcastic...but this can't be so hard to understand is it?

DTC is one of the components of DSC {DSC (including DTC) is on by default when you start the car}!

When you press the button only once, the light is a warning to let you know (be careful... that's why it's orange and not green) that only DTC is left.

It's not hard to understand for me .. but you seem to be struggling (sorry more sarcasm)

DTC is a lesser version of DSC ... it isn't something separate than runs alongside DSC during normal use.

As it says on idrive it is ACTIVATED when you press the DTC button and in ACTIVATING it you RESTRICT DSC

The OED definition of ACTIVATED is 'to make active, or bring into action'.

You can't activate something that is already on ... are you saying that you have special information which leads you to conclude that the message on idrive is wrong?

Actually - It's a fine point I know and everything else you say is right .... so peace.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2007, 02:11 PM   #232
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK View Post
Ditto what poldim said about searching for more voice commands - but to clarify one point you may not know, you don't need to be on the entertainment screens. Try saying "CD Track 1" or "FM 104 point 3" or "FM Frequency 104 point 3" or whatever from any other iDrive screen. It works!

A tip to voice command users who get a lot of "I'm sorry, I didn't understand you" responses: don't talk after the beep, talk after the little icon for voice entry appears in the lower left corner of the iDrive screen (about a second after the beep). I went from a 75% success ratio with the voice recognition to near 100% when I started doing that. I read it as a tip here on e90post, so props to whomever posted that, can't remember who it was.
You Sir are an ABSOLUTE HERO.

The point about waiting for the icon should be written in 10 foot high letters on a sticky on this forum.

I tried this today and it works a treat.

Thanks for your post.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2007, 02:45 PM   #233
ultmachine
Private
Rep
Drives: 325xi

Locking key in trunk

I just tried the key in the trunk thing, it works for me. If I leave the key in the trunk and close it, the lights flash 3 times and the trunk re-opens. I imagine it's one of those small features that BMW added to E90's bulit later into the model year, so that may be why it doesn't work for some of you.

(PS: I have CA)
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2007, 02:46 PM   #234
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
^^ it's a CA thing. Non-CA cars can lock the keys in the trunk. CA cars cannot.
      01-23-2007, 02:51 PM   #235
PiperD
Clutch pedal >> Dead pedal
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 e92 335is 6MT

Garage List
I'm sure the DTC/DSC debate will rage on ad-infinitum.

My understanding has always been that DTC is a subset of the DSC family of electronic aids. In any event, hear it from the horse's mouth:

http://www.bmwusa.com/uniquelybmw/Innovations/Index

Click Dynamic Stability Control, watch the video, listen for the part near the end where it says "Dynamic Traction Control is a version of DSC optimized for particular road conditions. It allows for a further slippage of the wheels, without totally giving up the stability control feature."

What does that mean? Who the heck knows!

Unless somebody here coded the DSC+ system in the car - or DSC III or whatever the heck it's called these days - I don't think that any of us can say definitively what is really going on. Suffice it to say that with no pushes of the button the stability system is fully engaged, with one push you can slip the wheels a bit, and with push-and-hold you're on your own. One can even question whether the system(s) are ever completely disengaged, as you still have ABS, CBC, EBD and other programs active - all "stability" programs depending on your definition.

Personally I wouldn't depend on the wording in an iDrive alert as a definitive technical explanation of what's happening behind the scenes. Nor is any one of our answers and interpretations the "correct" one.

So... in the name of getting back on topic:

- ever had your sunroof reverse because it had trouble pulling the shade out if its recess? The shade may move very freely on the new e9x, but in the e46 you could hold the button in the close position to force the sunroof to close despite the drag/obstruction.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2007, 03:42 PM   #236
Norsk
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
It's not hard to understand for me .. but you seem to be struggling (sorry more sarcasm)
Quote:
DTC is a lesser version of DSC ... it isn't something separate than runs alongside DSC during normal use.
OK, as mentioned in my post

Quote:
As it says on idrive it is ACTIVATED when you press the DTC button and in ACTIVATING it you RESTRICT DSC.

The OED definition of ACTIVATED is 'to make active, or bring into action'.
You are correct, but iDrive is a but murky in the way it presents it to you. Here we go again, when DSC is ON, DTC is also active. When you press the "DTC" button on your dash once, the warning lamp in cluster warns (Orange) you that only DTC is left & iDrive says DTC activated ... I guess for the common bloke

[QUOTE=needforspeed;653959]You can't activate something that is already on ... are you saying that you have special information which leads you to conclude that the message on idrive is wrong?[/QUOTE]

Yes I do; "I have special information" that lead is correct ... BMW itself. http://www.bmwusa.com/uniquelybmw/Innovations/Index

Name:  DSC and DTC.JPG
Views: 9529
Size:  70.2 KB
Quote:
Actually - It's a fine point I know and everything else you say is right .... so peace.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2007, 09:42 PM   #237
com_mander
Rep
Drives: 325i sport package

MP3 player track selection

When using the MP3 player you can skip ahead 10 songs at a time by pressing the M button (I think for Manual) followed by the regular skip buttons, instead of just one at a time.

I know this is in the manual, but I cursed the MP3 player design for months for not having an easy way to get to tracks on MP3 , as you can easily have 100+, before finally finding this.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2007, 09:43 PM   #238
tctic
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperD View Post
I'm sure the DTC/DSC debate will rage on ad-infinitum.

My understanding has always been that DTC is a subset of the DSC family of electronic aids. In any event, hear it from the horse's mouth:

http://www.bmwusa.com/uniquelybmw/Innovations/Index

Click Dynamic Stability Control, watch the video, listen for the part near the end where it says "Dynamic Traction Control is a version of DSC optimized for particular road conditions. It allows for a further slippage of the wheels, without totally giving up the stability control feature."

What does that mean? Who the heck knows!

Unless somebody here coded the DSC+ system in the car - or DSC III or whatever the heck it's called these days - I don't think that any of us can say definitively what is really going on. Suffice it to say that with no pushes of the button the stability system is fully engaged, with one push you can slip the wheels a bit, and with push-and-hold you're on your own. One can even question whether the system(s) are ever completely disengaged, as you still have ABS, CBC, EBD and other programs active - all "stability" programs depending on your definition.

Personally I wouldn't depend on the wording in an iDrive alert as a definitive technical explanation of what's happening behind the scenes. Nor is any one of our answers and interpretations the "correct" one.
Well said. I knew this DSC/DTC debate kick in a thread like this as I said in the first few posts of this thread. The terminology and naming ceases to matter as long as you know what each mode is for and what the electronics are doing. Therefore, when I say something about DSC/DTC modes, I always add a few more words to clarify the state at which the electronics are working at. It just seems that there will someone out there who are confused about the terminology.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2007, 10:15 PM   #239
orionredwing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan, 135i Coupe

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
I'm not gonna waste an hour or whatever reading through 11 pages of this thread to see if this has been posted, but I read about this from another forum and thought it was cool. So I'm taking a few secs to post it here. If it hasn't been posted yet, then cool. Sorry if I sound cynical. Just want to avoid flamers, especially when I'm trying to share something. =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Mad View Post
(1) Reboot the entire iDrive system - Hold down the power, CD eject, and DVD eject button simultaneously for a couple of seconds. The iDrive system will reboot. Note that it will take about 30 seconds to fully reboot. User settings are not lost by rebooting - it is a reboot, not a reset.

PROcede | AMS FMIC | AR Catless DPs | AR Oil Cooler | BMS DCI
Wavetrac LSD | KW V3 w/ Swift Springs | M3 Front Suspension
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2007, 02:31 AM   #240
bmwguy335
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335inSC View Post
yea you're right, I guess I never noticed until the headlights were on

E90 335i sedan, titanium silver, black leather w/ brushed aluminum, SP, PP, step, comfort access, ALSO
E92 335i coupe, sparkling graphite, black leather, brushed aluminum, SP,PP, i-drive, comfort access
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2007, 07:50 AM   #241
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
This one is well documented in the manual and here, but for anyone who has seen another E90 on the road signal right, then left, then right again, it is because they don't know how to cancel the turn signals.

To cancel the turn signal, you don't push it the opposite direction. You push it slightly (not beyond the resistance point) in the same direction as the blinking side.

The blinkers are intuitive once you get used to them and now I don't like driving cars with "normal" blinkers.
      01-24-2007, 08:23 AM   #242
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsk View Post
Yes I do; "I have special information" that lead is correct ... BMW itself. http://www.bmwusa.com/uniquelybmw/Innovations/Index
It's not really 'special information' all it says is this:

"Dynamic Stability Control is an innovative technology that combines the functions of traction control, braking enhancement, and cornering stabilization. DSC sensors continually monitor cornering-steering angle, transverse acceleration, yaw, wheel speed and brake pressure to instantly detect and correct loss of wheel traction due to slick spots, nasty weather, or emergency maneuvers. DSC helps you stay in control under all conditions, in any situation."

It doesn't even mention DTC !

This is what the manual says about DTC:

"Dynamic Traction Control is a version of DSC optimized for particular road conditions. It allows for a further slippage of the wheels, without totally giving up the stability control feature."

Without getting all 'legal' it's easy enough to break down this language...

"a version of DSC" must mean the following:

1. It is the same sort of thing as DSC, it is of the same substance and it does the same sort of things.
2. It is NOT 'part' of DSC ... it is a 'VERSION' of DSC, in the way that 98, 2000, NT and XP are 'VERSIONS' of windows. They are all windows, but they are also all different.

The i drive message says that DTC is ACTIVATED, when the DTC button is depressed and that DSC is RESTRICTED.

There are only 2 possible conclusions from this information:

1. The manual AND the idrive message are wrong

2. DTC is a version of DSC which alters the safety parameters of the system. It is only activated when the button is depressed and activating DTC restricts the performance of the DSC system.

In the abscense of any possible evidence that the manual and the idrive message are wrong, and the eminent logic and sensibility of option 2 I will choose to believe option 2

As an aside the terminology comes from the fact that these systems initially developed as 'traction control' (which had a TC button), then 'dynamic traction control' (DTC button), then DSC, then DSC+.

With each new safety innovation new layers of complexity are added. My assumption is that the use of the terminology DTC is deliberately intended to reflect the fact that this is a more BASIC version of the DSC+ system.
Appreciate 0