E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > New and improved fuel pump

04-20-2007, 06:59 AM   #23
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

I'm sure this has been brought up many times before, but... For those U.S. citizens that are having having problems with the fuel pump (or any mechanical problem) - take the time to document your contacts with the dealer. You would need this info to take any action under the Lemon Law (different for each state). If they won't/can't fix the problem, eventually, the dealer must legally provide you with a replacement car or buy back your car.

http://dealerselect.com/lemon/lemonbystate.html
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 07:32 AM   #24
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealbert View Post
no one really knows.. i keep getting conflicting responses.. like some say jan 07, but then there have been people who have jan 07 build cars with fuel pump problems. I would suspect it wouldn't be till march did they actually get the new pumps in the cars. But thats just speculating.. no hard evidence here.. anyone care to help clear this up?
Some speculation - My guess is that the Jan 07 time simply came from the date of the last TSB update on this particular issue.

Sounds like the cause of failure is due to the "Sensitivity of the high pressure injection pump (HHP) diagnostic software." Regardless, the diagnostic fault codes show that the ECU is reading pressure is too low.

But this could mean that the pressure sensor reading simply goes out of spec (i.e. due to pressure-sensor output range being reduced, skewed, or noisy) after some time. If enough information is still there in the HPP's pressure sensor signal, presumably, the software could still compensate by recalibrating (changing the control valve adaption mapping), and no need for new pump.
I think software modifications along these lines were already tried and weren't entirely successful.

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B121606g.htm
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 08:11 AM   #25
Dr_Dirt
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6AT

I wonder if we can order a Bill of Materials for our cars, this way we can see every part# that went into the build of our cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 08:40 AM   #26
thealbert
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Dirt View Post
I wonder if we can order a Bill of Materials for our cars, this way we can see every part# that went into the build of our cars.
That would be a good idea. I wish I could get my hands on one of those as well. Although, zenmaster's link that he posted caught my eye. http://www.bmwtis.com/. Can anyone shed a little more light as to what this website really offers? Does it contain anything regarding the new E90s? Particularly the 335i? I'm curious to see if its really up to date and if its something that can be helpful for us. At least shed some more light on our fuel pump problem since it seems like many of us are in the dark on this and I'm sure many of us have been getting very frustrated already.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 09:25 AM   #27
Plan B
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 997S / 2007 CaymanS

Quote:
I just got word from my SA. Turns out the fuel pump that they ordered for me is a direct replacement fuel pump. Meaning, it still has all the defects just like the original pump that came with my car. In other words, when this "new" replacement pump is installed, it WILL break on me again! grrr.. Then my SA even said that they won't install the pump they ordered for me since they know its just going to break again. So I asked them when they'll have the new/updated/problem free pump and they said there are currently NO new/updated/problem free pumps available that BMW is realeasing at this point in time. I asked them when they would be releasing it and they said they spoke to people at BMWNA and they said there's no time table from BMW right now. I asked them why is it then that everyone else is getting new replacement pumps and basically, from what my dealer told me is that all the replacement pumps that everyone is getting are just a direct replacement and BMWNA has NOT yet released the new/updated/problem free pumps yet.
So what do I do now? I really don't know anymore. My local dealer even told me that even the new cars coming in still have the bad pumps! I've been very positive and very supportive of BMW despite this mess up but now I'm really starting to get annoyed with this whole situation... I expect to see BMW fix this issue very very soon or else...

thealbert: not to doubt your SA, and just for the sake of thoroughness, can he provide the part number of the failed FP that currently resides in your 335? Is it the same as the HPP part # zenmaster had provided? HPP part # 13537537320

Also, what was your car's build date?

From my own personal experiences with SA’s…a lot of times they do not have all the correct information.

2008 Porsche 911 S 6MT [GT Silver/Cocoa extended leather/sport chrono/loaded]
2007 Porsche Cayman S 6MT [Black/Black extended leather/typical options] Daily Driver
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 09:27 AM   #28
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
install what you can get..and if it fails..get back in queue. BTW, I use to be a service advisor at a Porsche/Audi dealership. They apparently have supplier issues right this second.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 09:31 AM   #29
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

I'm almost certain that BMW will get this short handed issue fixed soon, otherwise a lot of people will start lemon'ing their cars if it's in the shop for more than 30 days.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 09:59 AM   #30
Plan B
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post
install what you can get..and if it fails..get back in queue. BTW, I use to be a service advisor at a Porsche/Audi dealership. They apparently have supplier issues right this second.
do you mean "they" as in BMW, or Porshce/Audi?

Interestingly, my 335 that was originally slated for Week 18 production has been moved up 2 weeks. That doesn't seem to indicate "supplier issues"...but what do I know.

2007 Porsche Cayman S 6MT [Black/Black extended leather/typical options] Daily Driver
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 06:25 PM   #31
thealbert
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan B View Post
thealbert: not to doubt your SA, and just for the sake of thoroughness, can he provide the part number of the failed FP that currently resides in your 335? Is it the same as the HPP part # zenmaster had provided? HPP part # 13537537320

Also, what was your car's build date?

From my own personal experiences with SA’s…a lot of times they do not have all the correct information.
Part # 13537537320 is the defective fuel pump.

My car's a 10/06 build, sedan, manual.

Last edited by thealbert; 04-22-2007 at 06:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 06:56 PM   #32
Plan B
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What got me very frustrated was my SA couldn't tell me what the new part number was. All he kept saying was part # 13537537320 was the part they originally ordered for me and part # 13537537320 is the defective fuel pump and therefore they cancelled my order over a week ago and aren't going to install it in my car. So I asked him "what now? So did you order the new pump for me?" And all he could tell me was that he doesn't know and he'll contact BMWNA on what to do. I don't know if its just me but, if you're going to cancel my order, at least tell me right away and if you're going to cancel my order, at least make sure there's another alternative instead of letting my car sit there for a whole week on idle. Seems like you're right, SA's don't really have all the correct information and based on their incorrect information, they make judgement calls which aren't at all the right calls.

My car's a 10/06 build, sedan, manual.
Sorry to hear about your experience. I think you have every right to be upset. Your SA should NEVER cancel the order with no alternative plans. Even IF the pumps are the same (which I highly doubt, since your build date was Oct.06), a new FP may not fail. Seems like your SA really dropped the ball.

Perhaps now is a good time for you to confront the situation with someone above him. Best of luck to you.

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 07:51 PM   #33
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarch1 View Post
They are definately putting in a different fuel pump than before.
As in the new cars currently being built correct?
That would only make sense and be a relief.
They should begin shipping these new ones to dealers soon for replacements for the old
fuel pumps then too.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 09:18 PM   #34
baltik
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: porsche 944 turbo

As it stands it is complete speculation that multiple fuel pumps exist, from what I understand all fuel pumps have the same part # as in the SIB. One would hope they have either gone with another manufacturer or somehow refined the production process but i have read dozens of these threads and I have yet to see proof
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2007, 11:42 AM   #35
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

Well, if there IS a problem with the current fuel pumps (which to a small degree there seems to be) I hope BMW makes a change by next month, as that's when my new coupe is built.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2007, 12:04 PM   #36
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Mine went into production two days ago, i'm praying that they are putting some type of revised pump in there. It would really suck to wait 3 months for a car and then to have the fuel pump take a crap.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2007, 12:12 PM   #37
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

Sorry OT here but Boosted, I just noticed you live in Wilmington, NC
Where?
I "lived" there for 4 months while working.
Love that city, had a blast, great people!
I rented a condo on Front Street off Market, across from the City Limits Saloon above the gallery. It has white shutters in the windows.
Little party area right there...good time, man good times.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2007, 12:30 PM   #38
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
Sorry OT here but Boosted, I just noticed you live in Wilmington, NC
Where?
I "lived" there for 4 months while working.
Love that city, had a blast, great people!
I rented a condo on Front Street off Market, across from the City Limits Saloon above the gallery. It has white shutters in the windows.
Little party area right there...good time, man good times.
I actually just moved down here from NY around 3 months ago. Right now I am living 10 minutes South of Wilmington in a townhouse in Leland. My father, brother, and me are building homes in Leland so its just more convenient for the time being, but if I stay here for the long run then i'll be moving into Wilmington since there are too many hillbillies where I am now.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2007, 01:00 PM   #39
95 Z/28 LT1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Just my .02, but I'd like to comment that it really sucks to have to drive around a 335i that isn't running to full potential. My car feels like it has a major power loss and the idle sometimes gets so low that it feels like the engine is going to stop. It also takes most the joy out of driving the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2007, 04:17 PM   #40
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBMW View Post
I actually just moved down here from NY around 3 months ago. Right now I am living 10 minutes South of Wilmington in a townhouse in Leland. My father, brother, and me are building homes in Leland so its just more convenient for the time being, but if I stay here for the long run then i'll be moving into Wilmington since there are too many hillbillies where I am now.
LOL, yeah Leland had a couple nice areas, but a lot of run down areas.
If you haven't hit up the Battleship, do so, it was pretty cool!

Swing by the Tiki Bar at Carolina Beach (on the pier) in a month or two.
On Sunday afternoons a buddy of mine band plays there.
His band's name is "Da Howlies" (sp?)
They play Hawaiian music.
Good place to chill and have a drink and enjoy the music.

Man I miss it there...just blows LA away for quality of life and good people!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 09:56 AM   #41
Critter Fixer
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe (Space Grey, Red)

I got a replacement approx 1 week ago. The fuel pump went bad again within 3 days...must have been an old-new pump. The service bulliten told them to order a specific part number when this started to happen. Not sure why an old-new pump was ordered.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 10:18 AM   #42
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter Fixer View Post
I got a replacement approx 1 week ago. The fuel pump went bad again within 3 days...must have been an old-new pump. The service bulliten told them to order a specific part number when this started to happen. Not sure why an old-new pump was ordered.
maybe this is old news:

although i have not visited the bimmerfest site in a while, they had some threads re new fuel pump. seems that the old siemens pump has been replaced by a bosh. all newly produced cars should have these new pumps - is what the threads imply.

if someone could confirm this it would be great.
i am running late for the dentist...

’95 540i retired
’81 911 Carerra retired
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 11:12 AM   #43
MBMWTECH
BMW TECH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328I SEDAN - 2008 BMW 750

what i have heard from bmw "higher ups" is that they are changing manufactures hence the drastic backorder in parts. the problem has been isolated to a leaking (or alltogehter) failed internal valve inside the high pressure pump. We are installing the 13-53-7-537-320 pumps as replacement pumps. Also I believe that up to march 2007 may still have bad pumps installed.

my pump took a dump and i have replaced it already with the 320 pumps - so far its ok. pump failed at 4000 miles - have 1000 on new pump still ok.
my car is a late feb 07 production
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 12:47 PM   #44
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBMWTECH View Post
what i have heard from bmw "higher ups" is that they are changing manufactures hence the drastic backorder in parts. the problem has been isolated to a leaking (or alltogehter) failed internal valve inside the high pressure pump. We are installing the 13-53-7-537-320 pumps as replacement pumps. Also I believe that up to march 2007 may still have bad pumps installed.

my pump took a dump and i have replaced it already with the 320 pumps - so far its ok. pump failed at 4000 miles - have 1000 on new pump still ok.
my car is a late feb 07 production
MBMWTECH,

Do you believe the failure is actually what they said, and if it is an internal valve failure did you hear if they believe all the pumps would fail or are we looking at some manufacturing process issue where some are good and some are bad. It would be nice to have some idea what we are looking at here.
Appreciate 0