Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Is it OK to have different tires in rear & front?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

08-01-2008, 02:12 PM   #1
idyll
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Is it OK to have different tires in rear & front?

I have a nail in my rear passenger tire and every shop I have been to (including BMW dealer) says its way too close to the sidewall to be patched. Midas said I can plug it (they would not do it), but they think the plug will be just temporary. Should I risk it by plugging it and driving with them like that? I've got a 1k road trip coming up soon...

I have been looking at tires to replace the rear ones altogether as they have about ~4k miles left to go on them and was wondering if it would be OK to have different brand tires in the front and rear? The front tires are holding up great and I'd prefer not to replace those as well. All 4 are summer tires, and that's what I'm going to stick to since I live in FL.

Currently I have BFGoodrich g-Force Sport tires, but I was thinking about getting General Exclaim UHP for the rear based on the reviews I have read.

What do you say?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 02:20 PM   #2
DimSum
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: SLOW

should be fine, as long as you follow what is required for the setup your running.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 03:50 PM   #3
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß

Its perfectly fine. I run staggered AND different brands all the time .
      08-01-2008, 04:15 PM   #4
idyll
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks, good to know. I guess I'll go ahead and get the General Exclaims...

I suppose you guys would not recommend plugging it then?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 04:26 PM   #5
rdsport323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

its better to keep the fronts the same and the rear the same.. i can imagine how bad the drive would be with two different front tires with different tread patterns.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 08:39 PM   #6
idyll
Private First Class
Rep

Hmmmmm... Well, tirerack does seem to have a deal right now where if you buy 4 General Exclaim tires you get a $50 Visa giftcard...
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 12:24 AM   #7
roy@gambitmotorsport
Something Else
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i coupe 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by idyll View Post
Thanks, good to know. I guess I'll go ahead and get the General Exclaims...

I suppose you guys would not recommend plugging it then?
If you push them at all at track or in canyons, you may prefer knowing the fronts/rears are the exact same compound and heat/expand the same. It's probably not a big deal, though.

I wouldn't "plug" any tire I pushed in any capacity. And I've probably plugged over 100 tires, working may way through college at a gas station.

Roy
      08-02-2008, 12:48 PM   #8
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

I tried running different front and rears and had problems.
See
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137028
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 01:33 PM   #9
bmwmike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe - SOLD

There was a guy with an M5 at a track day in Portland at PIR with different tires on the front vs. the back over a year ago. His car was swaying back and forth as he turned or accelerated and everyone thought he was a bad driver and felt he was a danger to everyone. One of the instructors drove his car thinking he needed more coaching and realized afterwards that it was the mixing of his tires. His car was pulled off the track afterwards.

I'd say that it may be a small chance you will find two different brand of tires that have the same response characteristics.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 02:25 PM   #10
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by idyll View Post
I have a nail in my rear passenger tire and every shop I have been to (including BMW dealer) says its way too close to the sidewall to be patched. Midas said I can plug it (they would not do it), but they think the plug will be just temporary. Should I risk it by plugging it and driving with them like that? I've got a 1k road trip coming up soon...

I have been looking at tires to replace the rear ones altogether as they have about ~4k miles left to go on them and was wondering if it would be OK to have different brand tires in the front and rear? The front tires are holding up great and I'd prefer not to replace those as well. All 4 are summer tires, and that's what I'm going to stick to since I live in FL.

Currently I have BFGoodrich g-Force Sport tires, but I was thinking about getting General Exclaim UHP for the rear based on the reviews I have read.

What do you say?
Personally, I would not mix tire models and I would not run with widely different overall diameter tires (ie some worn, some new)

Tires are a key safety component, just like brakes, and in my opinion skimping on tires is a classic example of 'penny wise, pound foolish'.

If cost is an issue, replace all 4 tires with a matching set of all season, long life commuter tires, instead of high performance summer only tires
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 03:36 PM   #11
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M4

For daily driving it's ok, but if you do anything more intense, it is always recommended you have matching tread patterns on all 4 tyres.