E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Deciding on which after market warranty tier to get?

07-22-2016, 11:32 AM   #23
BlindWolf187
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
i have a similar type aftermarket warranty on mine and it has more then paid for itself. But mine would be your platinum level and cost about the level of your Gold and I have a $100 deductible.

Between 2 headlight assemblies, 2 tail light assemblies, 2 window regulators, a couple sensors malfunctioning, a LPFP and HPFP, my total cost of repairs is over $6k now from the dealer, and ive paid about $500 out of pocket from the deductible. Also, my warranty includes either a loaner from the dealer or a rental if the repairs will take 2 days + so theres that.
Who is your warranty provider? It sould like they're pretty good.
I nixed getting an E60 M5 and a warranty because all of the companies I looked at had inclusive contracts (the contract lists all of the specific things that they would cover, and they all happen to be the most robust parts of the car). I found a few exclusive contracts (where they list parts that they do not cover) but they excluded the main parts that I was concerned about.

OP, what did you do? If you are still thinking about it, be aware of the difference between inclusive and exclusive contracts, and be aware of "preexisting condition" clauses.
      07-22-2016, 12:01 PM   #24
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
None...those are for suckers. BMW extended the warranty on the most common failures.

Gap insurance is dumb on a 2008.

$3k can repair a lot and the expensive stuff BMW covers.

Why people think these are good is beyond me. Warranties are priced for you to lose. Maybe you will or won't, but better to avoid as a general rule.

$250 deductible is insane.
I agree, if you need gap insurance on an 08, you probably shouldnt be buying it. And $250 is way too high for warranty deductible.

But saying the warranties on these are for suckers is wrong imo. If you get the right coverage level, then all the expensive little things that break and go bad add up over time. 1 headlight replacement from the dealer is ~$1400. And those are known to fail. Same with the Tailight LED modules. Hell, I had a window switch break that the part was $40 for, and it wasnt an OEM part but an "as equal".

The biggest thing that has saved me some money is the free rental. Had my car at the dealer for a week and while the dealer didnt have a loaner to give out, the warranty company set me up with a rental for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWolf187 View Post
Who is your warranty provider? It sould like they're pretty good.
I nixed getting an E60 M5 and a warranty because all of the companies I looked at had inclusive contracts (the contract lists all of the specific things that they would cover, and they all happen to be the most robust parts of the car). I found a few exclusive contracts (where they list parts that they do not cover) but they excluded the main parts that I was concerned about.

OP, what did you do? If you are still thinking about it, be aware of the difference between inclusive and exclusive contracts, and be aware of "preexisting condition" clauses.
Warranty 1 or America 1 or something like that. I got it through the dealer that I bought the car from in Arizona, but it is accepted at every BMW dealer.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 12:24 PM   #25
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
I agree, if you need gap insurance on an 08, you probably shouldnt be buying it. And $250 is way too high for warranty deductible.

But saying the warranties on these are for suckers is wrong imo. If you get the right coverage level, then all the expensive little things that break and go bad add up over time. 1 headlight replacement from the dealer is ~$1400. And those are known to fail. Same with the Tailight LED modules. Hell, I had a window switch break that the part was $40 for, and it wasnt an OEM part but an "as equal".

The biggest thing that has saved me some money is the free rental. Had my car at the dealer for a week and while the dealer didnt have a loaner to give out, the warranty company set me up with a rental for free.

Warranty 1 or America 1 or something like that. I got it through the dealer that I bought the car from in Arizona, but it is accepted at every BMW dealer.
I think I'm right. You have to have a relationship with a good BMW independent shop and not a dealer. $1400 for headlight replacement is insane. I replaced my own taillights with OEM LEDS on both sides for $450 total and had them coded for $50.

You can always come up with math and examples to show how it's be worth it, but it were generally "worth it" for most people, they wouldn't sell them for that price. That's just a fact.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 12:26 PM   #26
MadeInPhilly
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 318is, E90 335i, 03 GTI

I think I paid like $25 for the window regulator kit. Did it myself in an hour or so. The plastic pulley thing is what breaks.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 12:54 PM   #27
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
I think I'm right. You have to have a relationship with a good BMW independent shop and not a dealer. $1400 for headlight replacement is insane. I replaced my own taillights with OEM LEDS on both sides for $450 total and had them coded for $50.

You can always come up with math and examples to show how it's be worth it, but it were generally "worth it" for most people, they wouldn't sell them for that price. That's just a fact.
There are some cars that its not worth it for sure. I had a Hyundai Genesis Coupe that parts were dirt cheap for, or an Elantra I had that was also dirt cheap for parts. Same part from the same site for them, was 2-3 times cheaper than what i would pay for the BMW.

Now if you are going to do all your own work, and upgrade things as they go, like turbos and things of that nature, then it may not pay off. But if you dont plan on going to hybrids or a single, and with the amount of wastegate rattle and turbo issues you see, paying a couple grand more for peace of mind isnt a bad thing, especially when these cars arent the most reliable.

I pay $100/time if I have any issue with the car. If its something that seems expensive, I just take it in and let them deal with it. If its something minor that doesnt affect the cars driving, I wait for a couple more items and get them all fixed at once. Dont have to waste time diagnosing, dont have to waste time researching, dont have to waste time fixing. I can save all my time for modding and upgrading. Latest time in to the dealer was for an oil leak. Noticed some oil sitting on my garage floor, looked quick at the engine to make sure nothing was loose, and took it to the dealer to diagnose and fix. Its nice not having to waste time chasing leaks and things like that.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 01:44 PM   #28
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
There are some cars that its not worth it for sure. I had a Hyundai Genesis Coupe that parts were dirt cheap for, or an Elantra I had that was also dirt cheap for parts. Same part from the same site for them, was 2-3 times cheaper than what i would pay for the BMW.

Now if you are going to do all your own work, and upgrade things as they go, like turbos and things of that nature, then it may not pay off. But if you dont plan on going to hybrids or a single, and with the amount of wastegate rattle and turbo issues you see, paying a couple grand more for peace of mind isnt a bad thing, especially when these cars arent the most reliable.

I pay $100/time if I have any issue with the car. If its something that seems expensive, I just take it in and let them deal with it. If its something minor that doesnt affect the cars driving, I wait for a couple more items and get them all fixed at once. Dont have to waste time diagnosing, dont have to waste time researching, dont have to waste time fixing. I can save all my time for modding and upgrading. Latest time in to the dealer was for an oil leak. Noticed some oil sitting on my garage floor, looked quick at the engine to make sure nothing was loose, and took it to the dealer to diagnose and fix. Its nice not having to waste time chasing leaks and things like that.
At least on my 2010, the turbos, HPFP, injectors and I believe even a few other things are covered for 10 years, 120k.

I just recently had all 6 injectors changed for free under warranty at my BMW dealer, a $3200 job according to them. It's more like <$1000 if you can do yourself and not even $2000 at a good indy.

Parts are way cheaper than before on these cars and the extended warranty on the problem areas really helps.
Appreciate 0