Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > New allignment, still pulls...

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

07-22-2008, 04:18 PM   #1
bmw_racer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i coupe

New allignment, still pulls...

I just got my car alligned and it still pulls to the right. I did not hit anything at all. Also, when I looked at the alignment printout they had the specs for an E46 on there, not E92.

Another thing is the paper showed that the camber, caster and toe were way out of spec but all they adjusted was the toe. Is that normal for an alignment shop? I went to evans tire. I got the lifetime service so I am going to take it back there until it is perfect... but are they supposed to adjust the other stuff besides the toe also?

thanks buddies!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 06:58 PM   #2
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
That's odd. Does your car have any suspension modifications?
      07-23-2008, 12:31 PM   #3
bmw_racer
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
That's odd. Does your car have any suspension modifications?
nope! all stock

I just called them and they said if the camber and caster can be adjusted then they will adjust it, so maybe it cant be adjusted on that car. they also said that car is too new and it is not in their system yet... hrm...

im still going to bring it back though because it is deffinitely pulling to the right
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 01:06 PM   #4
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_racer View Post
nope! all stock

I just called them and they said if the camber and caster can be adjusted then they will adjust it, so maybe it cant be adjusted on that car. they also said that car is too new and it is not in their system yet... hrm...

im still going to bring it back though because it is deffinitely pulling to the right
I wonder what system they are using because our cars are not THAT new, they have been on the road for almost 2 years...and the E46 M3 is a completely different car...if anything they should at least try the setting for an E90...Take your business elsewhere, as any good alignment guy should know that the E46 and E9x chassis are Completely different requiring different alignment settings. He might as well used a toyota camry setting....
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2008, 12:00 AM   #5
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Without seeing your alignement results, it's hard for me to say the alignment was done incorrectly.

In the front of the E9x cars, you only have toe adjustment anyway and that setting would be very close to the E46 chassis cars.

However, in the rear you can adjust toe and camber. Again, the settings are very close to the E46 as well.

What is important to look at is is your cross camber front and rear, that would cause the majority of your pull. In additon, tires can cause a pull as well, a good alignment tech will try to rotate the tires if the pull is minor when alignment is in spec. Have you checked your tire pressures?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2008, 03:36 AM   #6
BMW MotorSport
Banned
Rep
Drives: 95 Avus M3 and 07 E90 Fam Car!

I would take it to the dealer, they have all the specs and the charge isn't that bad.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 11:28 AM   #7
bmw_racer
Private
Rep

well evans tire offers lifetime allignment thats why i went there, i can bring it back for free allignment any time for the rest of the cars life now
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2008, 12:26 AM   #8
RDAutosport
Private
Rep
Drives: Various BMWs

Quote:
well evans tire offers lifetime allignment thats why i went there, i can bring it back for free allignment any time for the rest of the cars life now
Well, I don't know what good free alignments are if they can't get it right, my time is worth something and I prefer to do it once and have it right.

Go to someone who knows what they are doing, has the correct specifications for your car, and knows what is and isn't adjustable for your specific car.

Your issue may not be alignment, if could also be your tires. Without your exact alignment results, and I am not so sure I would trust the numbers from a place that doesn't know your car's specification, I can't opine any further.

Regards,

Rich
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 02:45 PM   #9
bmw_racer
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDAutosport View Post
Well, I don't know what good free alignments are if they can't get it right, my time is worth something and I prefer to do it once and have it right.

Go to someone who knows what they are doing, has the correct specifications for your car, and knows what is and isn't adjustable for your specific car.

Your issue may not be alignment, if could also be your tires. Without your exact alignment results, and I am not so sure I would trust the numbers from a place that doesn't know your car's specification, I can't opine any further.

Regards,

Rich
oh, ok!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 07:05 PM   #10
Ray
Rep
Drives: three series

Quote:
Your issue may not be alignment, if could also be your tires.
+1

What tires are you using?

You may be experiencing a radial pull
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 10:58 AM   #11
bmw_racer
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
+1

What tires are you using?

You may be experiencing a radial pull
the stock ones, the bridgestone potenza runflats... I was wondering about that, say my alignment was pretty bad for awhile and it caused uneven wear on one side... that is what happened, the right outside edge is totally worn down compared to the inside edge... so could the alignment be straight and the tire is pulling?

thanks buddies!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 11:14 AM   #12
quest556
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i x-Drive

Quote:
the stock ones, the bridgestone potenza runflats... I was wondering about that, say my alignment was pretty bad for awhile and it caused uneven wear on one side... that is what happened, the right outside edge is totally worn down compared to the inside edge... so could the alignment be straight and the tire is pulling?

thanks buddies!

Hmmm, that does not bode well for your pulling. If they are indeed that worn, I would highly suspect the tires. Try a rotation and see what results. That said, my local BMW dealer took two tries to get mine right and i was on new tires. They simply got it wrong the first time but made good on my second trip in.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 12:10 PM   #13
bmw_racer
Private
Rep

alright, well I called the shop i went to and they said bring it back so I will do that after work. The right tire is pretty darn worn though... maybe I wont bother to bring it back. I looked at the printout and it shows that the toe is perfect now... so it must be the tire.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 12:51 PM   #14
RDAutosport
Private
Rep
Drives: Various BMWs

Quote:
alright, well I called the shop i went to and they said bring it back so I will do that after work. The right tire is pretty darn worn though... maybe I wont bother to bring it back. I looked at the printout and it shows that the toe is perfect now... so it must be the tire.

oh, ok!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2008, 06:13 PM   #15
bmw_racer
Private
Rep

Quote:
oh, ok!
oh, ok!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 01:42 PM   #16
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Yea, if your tires are significantly worn that may very well be the source of your pulling.