E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > M135i injectors question

09-08-2017, 03:08 PM   #1
Vaheed1
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

M135i injectors question

A couple of weeks back, my car threw up a 'drivetrain' error whilst I was on the M6. I was told by the recovery service engineer that that coil packs on cylinders 1 and 3 had gone. After having the car recovered to a preferred independent garage, they told me that it wasn't the coil packs, but the injectors. BMW adviced them to replace all 6, otherwise replacing just affected ones would cause a knock on effect to the other 4. BMW wanted £300 for each injector. My guy managed to buy 6 for £750 + plugs and Labour, gave me a bill of £1,050.

The question I have is - should a car with only 35k on the clock have issue's with injectors? I drove older BMW's for 100+k miles and never once had injector issue. The car came with an extended 1 year 3rd party warranty, which, unfortunately, ran out a couple of months ago and I never got around to renewing it.

The car has just turned 4 years old and has been serviced at regular intervals.

My engineer was also told by his mate at BMW that it was a common problem with the N55 engine and that BMW replaced them under warranty for anyone who had this issue.

I regret not taking out a BMW warranty now but I would never have expected something like the injectors to do one at 35k miles. Does anyone think it's worth writing to them about - or am I just wasting my time?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 04:56 AM   #2
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaheed1 View Post
A couple of weeks back, my car threw up a 'drivetrain' error whilst I was on the M6. I was told by the recovery service engineer that that coil packs on cylinders 1 and 3 had gone. After having the car recovered to a preferred independent garage, they told me that it wasn't the coil packs, but the injectors. BMW adviced them to replace all 6, otherwise replacing just affected ones would cause a knock on effect to the other 4. BMW wanted £300 for each injector. My guy managed to buy 6 for £750 + plugs and Labour, gave me a bill of £1,050.

The question I have is - should a car with only 35k on the clock have issue's with injectors? I drove older BMW's for 100+k miles and never once had injector issue. The car came with an extended 1 year 3rd party warranty, which, unfortunately, ran out a couple of months ago and I never got around to renewing it.

The car has just turned 4 years old and has been serviced at regular intervals.

My engineer was also told by his mate at BMW that it was a common problem with the N55 engine and that BMW replaced them under warranty for anyone who had this issue.

I regret not taking out a BMW warranty now but I would never have expected something like the injectors to do one at 35k miles. Does anyone think it's worth writing to them about - or am I just wasting my time?
Hi mate,
you have nothing to lose by writing except some time. No, your injectors shouldn't be problematic at 35k miles but any part can fail at any time if it's defective. I'd have probably risked changing just defective injectors if I'm honest but I'd want to have seen that there really was a problem.
That can be done by setting up the injectors outside of the cylinders. It's alot of hassle but it can be done. The problem with error codes is that they can be so vague or misleading as to the real problem. I only treat error codes as real if they keep returning as well. These cars have a very cautious setup. Which is actually very good. It prevents things getting broken and damaged first by detecting things going outside of normal parameters.

At least it looks like you got the injectors at a very good price. Hopefully now you are trouble free.
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.79@119mph (stock turbos)
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 08:33 AM   #3
MERLIN335i
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: Gone: E92 M3 Competition Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaheed1 View Post
The question I have is - should a car with only 35k on the clock have issue's with injectors? e who had this issue.
My 335i (N54) had five SETS (30) injectors under warranty in 23,000 miles , due to "dribbling" and causing bad running, misfires on start-up, after being stood for a few hours, or overnight.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 10:08 AM   #4
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERLIN335i View Post
My 335i (N54) had five SETS (30) injectors under warranty in 23,000 miles , due to "dribbling" and causing bad running, misfires on start-up, after being stood for a few hours, or overnight.
Wow, that must have about the same probability as winning the lottery!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 03:23 PM   #5
Vaheed1
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

Thanks for the replies guys.

It's just so frustrating that I've had to spend that much money on a car just over 3.5 years old. £1,600 in a week, to be precise as it had a brake pad change a few days before hand and them fuckers cost a fortune.

Oh well. It'll teach me not to put off getting the extended warranty next time.
Appreciate 0