E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Conti Sport Contact 5P - If you have them you need to read this !

04-26-2013, 06:04 AM   #45
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Hey I never said you over inflated. I just said its high for me personally. Hell I know lots of ppl on this forum run around 40psi and love it. Its a personal thing.

Still thinking after reading this thread it has to be a bad batch. Hopefully conti will come through good for you.

But I have already made the choice to go Michie super sports next month. Variety is the spice of life and all that....

Best of luck Merlinski
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 06:07 AM   #46
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERLIN335i View Post
Feeling a little unloved here chaps .
I for one really appreciate you raising the issue Merlin. And please don't be put off reporting Conti's findings.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 06:23 AM   #47
MERLIN335i
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: Gone: E92 M3 Competition Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_P View Post
But I have already made the choice to go Michie super sports
Me Too..... Tomorrow !
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #48
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Quote:
Just to be clear, I stated that I would not accept tyres that were older than three months at the time of fitting, I did not say they were only a few months old.

The tyres have done 7600 miles, and were made in Week 3, 2011.

What you lot over the pond need to remember, is that over here we have things called bends, and lots of them, (my tires get a hard time, as the heavily feathered edges show). We don't all have arrow straight roads, with no need to turn the steering wheel for 6 hours

Anyway all I was trying to do was prevent someone having an accident, and all I am getting is flamed and comments implying I have crap equipment and over inflate my tyres.

Some of you know what I did for a living, and I feel that I am probably one of the better "qualified" on here to comment on tyres, car set-up and handling.

Feeling a little unloved here chaps .
No worries, I don't have a dog in this fight accept that I am watching it close because I've been planning on putting the same or similar rubber on my car when it arrives. So that's why my nose is in here.

And I appreciate the humor, but you do know that all of the US is not Texas right? AND even in Texas it's not all ruler straight. You do actually get that right? We've got roads all around the country that could be described as epic. Here in Washington state, I can spend 8 hours in a big loop from the Seattle area hit not one straight road, and spend all day playing on twisty mountain roads with NO speed cameras, No Cops, No Traffic...

While our automotive legacy witnesses more of an Interstate or Motorway focus (arrow straight few curves), there's a reason we buy so many foreign cars. Oh and of course, Ford Pickup Trucks.

I apologize if I offended, I'll buy you a pint next time I'm over there, still got family in Aberystwyth. So I'm over there every once in awhile.
      04-26-2013, 03:53 PM   #49
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John320d View Post
If this happened to me, I think the first thing I would do is check my tyre pressure gauge for accuracy.
Nothing to do with tyre pressures especially in that case.

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 05:05 AM   #50
MERLIN335i
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
I apologize if I offended, I'll buy you a pint next time I'm over there, still got family in Aberystwyth. So I'm over there every once in awhile.
No offence taken, you might regret the "I'll buy you a pint comment", you may well have to keep your promise, we visit friends in Aberystwyth !!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 05:16 AM   #51
MERLIN335i
Brigadier General
England
Rep

UPDATE: Conti's just been removed from rims, several 3-4" long splits have now appeared on the shoulder where tread meets sidewalls, this is also on all tyres

I realised how lucky I had been when I saw the splits in the photos, but now I have seen these new ones, I have been extremely lucky.

Sorry no photos of these.

Michael.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 05:24 AM   #52
chaz_master
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 6MT

Quote:
No worries, I don't have a dog in this fight accept that I am watching it close because I've been planning on putting the same or similar rubber on my car when it arrives. So that's why my nose is in here.

And I appreciate the humor, but you do know that all of the US is not Texas right? AND even in Texas it's not all ruler straight. You do actually get that right? We've got roads all around the country that could be described as epic. Here in Washington state, I can spend 8 hours in a big loop from the Seattle area hit not one straight road, and spend all day playing on twisty mountain roads with NO speed cameras, No Cops, No Traffic...

While our automotive legacy witnesses more of an Interstate or Motorway focus (arrow straight few curves), there's a reason we buy so many foreign cars. Oh and of course, Ford Pickup Trucks.

I'd be interested to see where you go for that pint seeing as he lives in England not Wales..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #53
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz_master View Post
I'd be interested to see where you go for that pint seeing as he lives in England not Wales..
Well as Wales is a bit country, we typically fly into London, and make leisurely progress to the West. Mostly cause flying into Liverpool costs a bit more, and there's fewer flights.

Much better and much more fun to hit London, then forge west on the M4 doing a bit of the tourist thing along the way, maybe ducking down south a bit. The drive is decent, and England is simply packed full of amazing history and cool stuff to see that is often ignored. Something the locals may take absolutely for granted is amazing to someone from the States where an "OLD" building is one built in 1910 especially here on the West coast.

Believe it or not, there are "Muricans" who do not view the States as the center of the world, who like to travel to where the history lives, and who do not view the UK as "quaint" or "cute".

AND FWIW, I didn't tread into the UK forum intentionally, wasn't intending to stick my my nose in. My interest was "tyres", and NOT the UK forum.

Cheers.

Last edited by Revlis; 04-27-2013 at 07:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #54
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No offence taken, you might regret the "I'll buy you a pint comment", you may well have to keep your promise, we visit friends in Aberystwyth !!
Nice, I never fear a pint. And while money doesn't fall from the sky for anyone. When I have a pocketful of coins I tend to forget that the fat ones are worth $1.55 and with prices this "low" I always come home poor.
      04-28-2013, 12:34 AM   #55
Frobius
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
UPDATE: Conti's just been removed from rims, several 3-4" long splits have now appeared on the shoulder where tread meets sidewalls, this is also on all tyres

I realised how lucky I had been when I saw the splits in the photos, but now I have seen these new ones, I have been extremely lucky.

Sorry no photos of these.

Michael.
Bloody hell! You been driving brought acid?!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 11:41 AM   #56
chaz_master
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 6MT

Quote:
Well as Wales is a bit country, we typically fly into London, and make leisurely progress to the West. Mostly cause flying into Liverpool costs a bit more, and there's fewer flights.

Much better and much more fun to hit London, then forge west on the M4 doing a bit of the tourist thing along the way, maybe ducking down south a bit. The drive is decent, and England is simply packed full of amazing history and cool stuff to see that is often ignored. Something the locals may take absolutely for granted is amazing to someone from the States where an "OLD" building is one built in 1910 especially here on the West coast.

Believe it or not, there are "Muricans" who do not view the States as the center of the world, who like to travel to where the history lives, and who do not view the UK as "quaint" or "cute".

AND FWIW, I didn't tread into the UK forum intentionally, wasn't intending to stick my my nose in. My interest was "tyres", and NOT the UK forum.

Cheers.
Hey man you're totally welcome here, didn't mean to sound unwelcoming.

I was stereotyping you with my comment which you guessed really, sorry about that haha
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 01:28 PM   #57
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

I had the exact same issue last year on my Mercedes C Class, but the Conti technical guy visited me at home and said it was due to under use and they had gone hard and the compound had dried out ,

They offered me as they was half worn a new set for half price when I said will the same happen again and he said quite possibly. So I sold them on ebay and purchased a set of Michelin Pilot sports .Im hardly going to use the car extra to reduce the risk of it happening again.

I will have a look later and see if I still have the pics and post them up.

I wont ever buy Continental through choice they were OEM on my Merc
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #58
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

I have some Sport contacts with cracked sidewalls still sat in the garage I think, they were less than 3 years old, which is really poor. I could understand if they were 7 years old or something.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 10:20 PM   #59
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz_master View Post
Hey man you're totally welcome here, didn't mean to sound unwelcoming.

I was stereotyping you with my comment which you guessed really, sorry about that haha
No worries, I understand the stereotypes and while I really like Colorado, Washington, and some other parts of the US, I have little regard for most of the US and most "Muricans".

So like all stereotypes there's a kernel of truth in there somewhere though and unfortunately there's a HUGE number of folks here in the US that really will live up to all your worst preconceived notions of Materialism, vapid plastic people, and irrational jingoistic "We're #1" attitude. They really don't understand the concept of the "rest of the world" and lots of those that do travel do head out into this world, trying to make sure EVERYONE knows they are Americans...

What's crazy is that from here I can drive north about 1.5 hours to Vancouver BC, and BOOM, different attitudes, less "I'm a Tough guy BS", and more friendly genuine people over all.

Go figure... Something wrong in the water in the States.
      04-28-2013, 10:23 PM   #60
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Well, I've got a set of Summer wheels and Conti tires waiting to go back on the wife's Volvo (Don't blame me), I'll be looking extra close before I bolt em' on, they are a couple years old. This is concerning.
      04-29-2013, 12:31 AM   #61
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

Just to add mine had covered less than 10k miles and were 30 months old . but exactly the same as the pictures on here , The Continental tech guy said they was safe to use.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 01:07 AM   #62
MERLIN335i
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba0010 View Post
I had the exact same issue last year on my Mercedes C Class, but the Conti technical guy visited me at home and said it was due to under use and they had gone hard and the compound had dried out
Thanks for posting your experience, "under use", perhaps they should have a use by date on them ! (I realise there is a recommended maximum age of 6 years for tyres, but neither of our tyres were anywhere near that !)

I know they were on a Merc, but just for a matter of interest, what pressures did you run ??

Michael.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 01:12 AM   #63
MERLIN335i
Brigadier General
England
Rep

UPDATE:

Tyres have gone back throught the supply chain, and have now reached the final warehouse. Conti Technical now have to collect them, have been promised a report within 48hrs of them entering their department.

So hopefully we will have the report by the middle of next week.

It appears my refund also has to come through the same route (4 companies), will be interesting to see how much I actually get back, as opposed to how much Conti award.

Already been told it will be 40% of the retail price of the fronts, and 20% for the rears (Conti already given remaining tread depth).

The fact that nobody has posted they currently have the same problem, is a good sign.

Will keep you posted.

Michael.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 03:04 AM   #64
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Quote:
UPDATE:

Tyres have gone back throught the supply chain, and have now reached the final warehouse. Conti Technical now have to collect them, have been promised a report within 48hrs of them entering their department.

So hopefully we will have the report by the middle of next week.

It appears my refund also has to come through the same route (4 companies), will be interesting to see how much I actually get back, as opposed to how much Conti award.

Already been told it will be 40% of the retail price of the fronts, and 20% for the rears (Conti already given remaining tread depth).

The fact that nobody has posted they currently have the same problem, is a good sign.

Will keep you posted.

Michael.
I had two Goodyear tyres fail years ago.

I had 55% tread depth and was originally offered a 55% refund.

Turns out if the tyres are under 1 year old they have to offer you a full refund and not based on tread depth which I did get.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 05:06 AM   #65
MERLIN335i
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
Turns out if the tyres are under 1 year old they have to offer you a full refund and not based on tread depth which I did get.
Unfortunately mine are over 12 months old.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 09:34 AM   #66
MERLIN335i
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Hi,

Finally got a letter from Conti, opened it to find just a statement of % refund to be given on each tyre, no report as to the reason for the failure as promised.

Called their Technical Dept who have been dealing with the problem, (who had been very helpful up till now) asked "had they forgotten to include my copy of the promised report".

Reply was: "All I am allowed to tell you is that the failures were down to AGEING".

The tyres were made Week 3 2011, which made them just 2 years old at the time the fault became evident. So looks like they are saying after spending £1000 on four tyres, you must wear them out in under two years, or they fall apart .

I feel I must state that the car was used on a daily basis, and tyres were up to working temperature, they commented that they could see I pushed my tyres, by the feathered and blued blocks, so the "if you don't use your tyres enough, the polymers, silica, and anti-oxidents are not active, so the tyre ages prematurely" excuse is not valid.

Sorry, not a helpful post, but no amout of re-phrasing of the question, was going to get me a better or truthful answer
Appreciate 0