E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > KW V1 coilovers - surface rust on front springs

07-20-2012, 09:45 AM   #1
jzmundy
Major
Rep
Drives: F97

KW V1 coilovers - surface rust on front springs

Hi all,

I pulled my wheels off this morning to give the barrels a good cleaning, and I noticed some surface rust on the front springs of my KW V1's.

The rust is confined to what seem to be contact points at which the spring comes together when under load. This has rubbed off the yellow paint and there is some slight corrosion on the springs.

I called KW and they reassured me that this is to be expected, especially at contact points on the coil. They said to monitor it every so often and if it became worse, just call them back but that it shouldn't be any cause for concern as it will likely stay on the surface.

The rear springs are completely fine. The fronts are lowered roughly halfway down the threads.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks!

Zach
      07-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
TC Kline Racing
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's & Porsche's

I think this is 'par for the course' with most coilover kits. You will typically experience this with any coilover kit that you put on your car.

I would agree that you do not have anything to worry about, and it is normal.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 11:02 AM   #3
jzmundy
Major
Rep
Drives: F97

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC Kline Racing View Post
I think this is 'par for the course' with most coilover kits. You will typically experience this with any coilover kit that you put on your car.

I would agree that you do not have anything to worry about, and it is normal.

Hope that helps.
Thank you! I guess what concerned me most was the fact that when the stock ZSP suspension came off, the springs were in perfect shape. However, they were such that there was no contact between the coils, preserving the black paint, unlike most coilover springs which, I suppose, have varying degrees of contact between the coils depending on the design. Thanks again!
      07-20-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
TC Kline Racing
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's & Porsche's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzmundy07 View Post
Thank you! I guess what concerned me most was the fact that when the stock ZSP suspension came off, the springs were in perfect shape. However, they were such that there was no contact between the coils, preserving the black paint, unlike most coilover springs which, I suppose, have varying degrees of contact between the coils depending on the design. Thanks again!

You are correct that the OEM springs are much larger and the coils are much further away from each other, so there is no chance for them to 'rub' under heavy loads or compressions.

Again, I would not worry until the entire spring just looks dilapidated and is a big ball of rusty mess
Appreciate 0