E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > MP3 CD with 2007 iDrive

01-24-2007, 04:29 PM   #1
lkevinl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i 4dr Sport+Premium+Nav

MP3 CD with 2007 iDrive

My car is in the shop right now so I'm in a loaner. I made an MP3 CD to put multiple CD's on a single disc and tried in my loaner 325 with standard stereo, non iDrive.

The standard stereo lists the folders and files I've created nicely but I always have to hit LIST to get them to show up that was otherwise it shows by track #. Regardless, being able to see the full folder and file names is AWESOME and looks great not to mention that I can fit more albums on a single disc than I could in my 2002 330i with cd+changer.

I have iDrive in my new 335i 2007. As I mentioned, my car is in the shop but I wanted to see how this would look with iDrive. My friend has a 530i with iDrive but older software. I put the same MP3 CD in his car and the folders and tracks show up like this:

FILE_NAME_ON
FILE_NAME_TW
FILE_NAME_TH

with the track name using underscores instead of spaces and the name limited to a shorter number characters so the name are cut off.

Is this fixed in the new iDrive software???

LOVE THE MP3 CD Player!!!!!!! :rocks:
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2007, 02:55 AM   #2
bakdraft
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320 D, March 2006,

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkevinl View Post
My car is in the shop right now so I'm in a loaner. I made an MP3 CD to put multiple CD's on a single disc and tried in my loaner 325 with standard stereo, non iDrive.

The standard stereo lists the folders and files I've created nicely but I always have to hit LIST to get them to show up that was otherwise it shows by track #. Regardless, being able to see the full folder and file names is AWESOME and looks great not to mention that I can fit more albums on a single disc than I could in my 2002 330i with cd+changer.

I have iDrive in my new 335i 2007. As I mentioned, my car is in the shop but I wanted to see how this would look with iDrive. My friend has a 530i with iDrive but older software. I put the same MP3 CD in his car and the folders and tracks show up like this:

FILE_NAME_ON
FILE_NAME_TW
FILE_NAME_TH

with the track name using underscores instead of spaces and the name limited to a shorter number characters so the name are cut off.

Is this fixed in the new iDrive software???

LOVE THE MP3 CD Player!!!!!!! :rocks:
There are many screen shots of idrives with MP3 on them... just search...

The reason you get _ underscores relates to the program that created the file names for the MP3's and the settings of the MP3 Burner program. All of this is discussed in details in many threads ..

But here is a quick summary

Order your CD' / tracks on the CD or DVD, by folders
Use the ID3V1 tags to rename your files
Do not use ID3V2... it will not show up the detail
In order to get the best looking display - do not use itunes to burn the discs, better to use nero and tweak the settings on burning to get a perfect track listing.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2007, 03:13 AM   #3
lkevinl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i 4dr Sport+Premium+Nav

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the summary. I did burn using Nero actually. I'd be surprised if the less expensive standard stereo system could display things perfectly but iDrive couldn't. This seems to be the case but I won't know until I get my car back to see if my version of iDrive displays better. My friends version of iDrive is a bit older.

Also, I organized this way:

-Artist Name (folder)
- Album Name (folder)
- Track Name.mp3 (file)

I'll need to check the settings in Nero.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2007, 03:44 AM   #4
bakdraft
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320 D, March 2006,

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkevinl View Post
Hey Dave,

Thanks for the summary. I did burn using Nero actually. I'd be surprised if the less expensive standard stereo system could display things perfectly but iDrive couldn't. This seems to be the case but I won't know until I get my car back to see if my version of iDrive displays better. My friends version of iDrive is a bit older.

Also, I organized this way:

-Artist Name (folder)
- Album Name (folder)
- Track Name.mp3 (file)

I'll need to check the settings in Nero.
This thread is good to show how it will look on your iDrive and also how to layout the files

I have progman 24... ( the latest version of iDrive) it looks just the same.

It's not not burning it in nero that's the key... it's the specific settings before burning that's imortant. I do not have them to hand.

Dave
Appreciate 0