E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Registration/Sales tax question

07-25-2010, 07:28 PM   #1
Beerflakes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5, 2021 M550i (soon)

Registration/Sales tax question

I plan to lease a vehicle in about a week and have been really thinking about a multi-state registration issue...

I'm from Missouri and attend grad school full-time in Missouri, but live in central New York where I work full time and am a resident.

My dealer suggested registering in MO since I am a student and have a semi-residence (parents) so that I'd be able to roll my sales tax into monthly payments instead of paying up front like NY requires...

Will I run into issues with this? I visit Missouri several times a year for school but the vehicle will be primarily in New York.

MO insurance and registration, NY license and residence...
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 07:33 PM   #2
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

I think the real issue is insurance fraud. If the car is always in NYS, and you tell your insurance co. the vehicle is garaged in MO, if they ever find out, you wont be covered. I know plenty of people who seem to feel it's ok, esp. in CT where there is property tax. But I know of one instance where a person's vehicle got stolen and recovered in Brooklyn, and he was questioned as to why if he lives in Brooklyn and works in Manhattan, that his car was registered in east jibit (insurance was cheaper). Needless to say his theft was not covered.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
Beerflakes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5, 2021 M550i (soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
I think the real issue is insurance fraud. If the car is always in NYS, and you tell your insurance co. the vehicle is garaged in MO, if they ever find out, you wont be covered. I know plenty of people who seem to feel it's ok, esp. in CT where there is property tax. But I know of one instance where a person's vehicle got stolen and recovered in Brooklyn, and he was questioned as to why if he lives in Brooklyn and works in Manhattan, that his car was registered in east jibit (insurance was cheaper). Needless to say his theft was not covered.
Hmm... If I were to just say no, register it in NY state... And the sales tax must be paid up front, would the dealership pay that up front and add it to the lease?

Or would they expect me to come up with the $2600ish up front to pay out of my pocket.

The only difference I see in paying the sales tax up front vs rolled into payments (other than the state's tax percentage) is that instead of the dealership financing the sales tax and charging me interest, a portion of my payment each month goes to the state. Is that correct?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 07:50 PM   #4
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

The real questions are:

Where do you live?
Who issues your driver's license?
Where do you pay taxes?

Although you situation is a bit different based on two completely different locales, this is not that unusual and the above test must be applied.

From your description, it appears that you are a resident of NY. Accordingly, the car should be registered there.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 07:53 PM   #5
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/register.htm#leased

I've never leased a car, but the way it reads is that you pay sales tax on the total amount of the lease payments. I don't think it's a big deal, taxes are not something one can really avoid. I like many on this forum paid sales tax on over 44k, as I had no trade. That's just the way it goes and it factors into a buy decision. If there were a luxury tax or gas guzzler tax, I'd get a different car...
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 09:56 PM   #6
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moze View Post
I plan to lease a vehicle in about a week and have been really thinking about a multi-state registration issue...

I'm from Missouri and attend grad school full-time in Missouri, but live in central New York where I work full time and am a resident.

My dealer suggested registering in MO since I am a student and have a semi-residence (parents) so that I'd be able to roll my sales tax into monthly payments instead of paying up front like NY requires...

Will I run into issues with this? I visit Missouri several times a year for school but the vehicle will be primarily in New York.

MO insurance and registration, NY license and residence...
AFAIK NY does not require you to pay the sales tax up front on a leased car. The tax payments are added to and included included in the monthly lease payments.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 12:02 PM   #7
bkM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 M3 Vert 6MT Carbon/Black

1. you do not need to pay the taxes upfront in NY. you can most definitely roll it into the payment.
2. it doesn't matter if you put taxes upfront or roll it into the payment, you still end up paying the same.

give me a call or email me if you have anymore questions. i would be happy to help you out and get you a great deal on the car as well
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 01:06 PM   #8
ssaylor
Desert Rat 1
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is - Alpine White/Blk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moze View Post

Will I run into issues with this? I visit Missouri several times a year for school but the vehicle will be primarily in New York..
My wife attended grad school in AZ and we kept the car registered and insured in CA. This is entirely acceptable if you're an out of state student (paying out of state tuition).

Sounds like you're doing an on-line program in MO from NY so you had better register and insure the car in NY to be safe.
My BMWCCA Gallery
Appreciate 0