E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing > Best T.V. size for FPS (BF3, COD MW3, etc).

12-02-2011, 05:32 AM   #1
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Best T.V. size for FPS (BF3, COD MW3, etc).

So the geeks say its 32inch is the optimal size for FPS. Heard this from other game console FPS players off/online. Didn't really buy it. Then, one of my friends who works for gaming industry says that is correct. He often participates in closed beta testing of FPS games (including COD, connection selected) and he says 10/10 of the hand-picked game freaks in the testing knows this.

I'm playing on 46". He said "that is why you suck so bad". I told him to f**k off.

Did some online research and found some technical advise. Something about 32" giving you best balance between vision of the whole screen and aim speed/accuracy. Too big of a screen, you get better aim accuracy for mid-long targets but you sacrifice shorter distance shots with slower reaction speed. Too small of a screen, accuracy falls dramatically for long range shots. Practical combination of the two would fall anywhere between 32~37" screen size.

Any opinion on this? About to pull a trigger on LG LED 32" for $300.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 06:04 AM   #2
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
I've heard smaller tv's work better for people playing FPS games too, but I've never heard there was a specific size just for FPS games. Seems like spending a lot of money just for a certain genre of video games.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 07:37 AM   #3
abisson
Canada FTW.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW R - Stg 2

Changing the TV won't make you any better.

It always just depend of how far away you are from the screen...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 10:36 AM   #4
bolinp78
G35 convertee
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i (AW)

I play on a 58" and have never thought about it. Damn you.
      12-02-2011, 11:18 AM   #5
cloakster
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 VW GLI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
That said, you can get an 11" screen and sit on top of it and get the same result if you were using a 32", five feet away or a 65", 10 feet away.
Don't know if its the same for everyone, but this is definitely not true for me in gaming. I started out playing Halo 3 from 8 feet away on a 52" LCD and noticed that I played much better only sitting 3-4 feet away from my 32" CRT TV. At first I thought it was the full screen vs widescreen, but then I saw that on MLG they play with 22" LCD TV's and all the comments about it were about how much they liked that size. I needed a new computer monitor anyways so I bought myself a 21.5" monitor and sure enough I played much, much better.

In the end ive noticed that I play much better with a 21-24" monitor sitting on my desk than on any larger TV from any distance.

Last edited by cloakster; 12-02-2011 at 11:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 01:21 PM   #6
scorcherjf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Don't choose your TV size because of your console game system... unless you have a separate home theater system. You're playing a shooter on a console, don't put so much thought into it lol. If you want real competition play on a PC.
      12-02-2011, 01:38 PM   #7
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Makes sense. I've been playing MW3 on my 60", and although it's nice to be able to see detail better, I find it a bit difficult to catch something on the side of the screen that's bordering my peripheral vision. My wired headphones only go so far back! lol
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 02:27 PM   #8
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
That said, you can get an 11" screen and sit on top of it and get the same result if you were using a 32", five feet away or a 65", 10 feet away.
I was waiting for someone to point this out, because this is what I thought.

However, sitting close to a 32" TV and sitting far away from 46" TV has a big difference. I don't know why, there has to be scientific explanation to this. When I sit close to 32" TV and play, I still feel very comfortable, able to see everything within my eye sight. However, sitting far away from the 46" TV to gain that same amount of "vision" or "sight", it is very different. You have more "broader" sight of everything, you can't just concentrate on the TV any more since you are just so far away.

I think its something like this. Movie theater versus sitting close to large HDTV to gain similar experience. It is never the same. Viewing experience just isn't even close to it. You can have a 55" plasma TV 4 feet front of you with polk monitors setup for 1500watt, you will not feel the same way as if you are in the theater. Though, yes, if I had such nice setup, I wouldn't go to movie theater.

Also, when the guy described "aim speed", he didn't mean actual speed of the aim being faster fundamentally. It is the feel. With larger screen, you see the guy on the top left screen much slower, you move your crosshair to the point in a slower fashion. Hope this makes sense.

Spending extra $300 bucks for just game console TV might sound a bit over the line (especially when I only play PES 2012 and MW3), but if I do get a dedicated game console TV, I can just have the 46" in my bedroom for movies and formula one races.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :

Last edited by lux.sh; 12-02-2011 at 02:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 08:08 PM   #9
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

My KDR is much better on my 40" versus my 82" that's for sure.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 08:51 PM   #10
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh View Post
I was waiting for someone to point this out, because this is what I thought.

However, sitting close to a 32" TV and sitting far away from 46" TV has a big difference. I don't know why, there has to be scientific explanation to this. When I sit close to 32" TV and play, I still feel very comfortable, able to see everything within my eye sight. However, sitting far away from the 46" TV to gain that same amount of "vision" or "sight", it is very different. You have more "broader" sight of everything, you can't just concentrate on the TV any more since you are just so far away.

I think its something like this. Movie theater versus sitting close to large HDTV to gain similar experience. It is never the same. Viewing experience just isn't even close to it. You can have a 55" plasma TV 4 feet front of you with polk monitors setup for 1500watt, you will not feel the same way as if you are in the theater. Though, yes, if I had such nice setup, I wouldn't go to movie theater.

Also, when the guy described "aim speed", he didn't mean actual speed of the aim being faster fundamentally. It is the feel. With larger screen, you see the guy on the top left screen much slower, you move your crosshair to the point in a slower fashion. Hope this makes sense.

Spending extra $300 bucks for just game console TV might sound a bit over the line (especially when I only play PES 2012 and MW3), but if I do get a dedicated game console TV, I can just have the 46" in my bedroom for movies and formula one races.
The user is the least common denominator when you're trying to figure out whether a bigger screen will slow you down. When I sit at my desk in front of the 42" monitor, I physically have to move my eyes and head, my field of view and focus shrinks, and it makes me suck more than I already do. For a computer setup, you're not usually going to be more than a couple feet away. I had to switch to my 23" monitor for FPS because with 42", it was just too damn close.

Now, if I sat a few more feet away, the 42" would be my choice.
Appreciate 0