E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Control arm replacement on Sport suspension

05-21-2013, 07:08 AM   #1
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i (E93)

Control arm replacement on Sport suspension

Hey guys,
Ok, my mechanic told me that my control arm bushings have leaked and need replacement. Honestly I haven't noticed a huge difference in ride quality or response, but I'd rather not keep worn parts on my car. He quoted my $500 to replace them, but I'm not sure if this is replacement of the entire control arm or just the bushings. Seems to me to be easier to replace the entire arm rather than try to press new bushings into the old ones? Also, is he referring to the upper (tension strut per BMW) or the lower (wishbone per BMW) control arms?

Anyway, I did a quick search here and got some good information, but one thing I didn't see: Are the control arms different for Sport vs non-sport suspensions? Also, are there some good non-BMW replacement arms that are recommended? I'd like to keep a decent ride quality, and I don't track the car.

Also, if I replace the arms, do I need a re-alignment? Seems that if the arms are exact replacement, then the alignment shouldn't be affected, but that's pure speculation on my part. Are the arms easily replaced as a DIY?

By the way, I have an E93 with Sport Suspension, if that makes a difference in your responses. Thanks in advance!

MHD Stage 1 Flash, M-Factory Helical LSD

By the way people: USE YOUR F&*#ING TURN SIGNALS! Pass the word.

Last edited by droptop335; 05-21-2013 at 07:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 01:05 PM   #2
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Just go with stock BMW parts. If you really want to you can go with the M3 control arms. They have a stronger bushing and are lighter, but they do increase NVH. Since you don't track it there's no real advantage other than longer life. If your shop has the proper tools they can replace the bushing and there are aftermarket solutions for just the bushings.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
Just go with stock BMW parts. If you really want to you can go with the M3 control arms. They have a stronger bushing and are lighter, but they do increase NVH. Since you don't track it there's no real advantage other than longer life. If your shop has the proper tools they can replace the bushing and there are aftermarket solutions for just the bushings.
Good to know. So you answered one of my six questions, but I do appreciate the info.

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

I forgot to mention. The control arm is lower forward piece, the one that's oddly shaped. I don't believe that one requires a re-alignment after replacement even if you go with the M3 arms. Depending on your mileage you might want to get one anyway.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

You can just press a new bushing into the tension strut. Meyle makes a HD bushing or you can get an oem replacement. You can also replace the whole link: oem, Meyle or M3. If you're riding on run flat tires, stick with oem or Meyle. If you're riding on traditional tires, get the Meyle HD bushings or you may like the reduction in tramlining and brake shimmy with the M3 tension links. Replacing the tension strut or bushing doesn't require an alignment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptop335 View Post
Hey guys,
Ok, my mechanic told me that my control arm bushings have leaked and need replacement. Honestly I haven't noticed a huge difference in ride quality or response, but I'd rather not keep worn parts on my car. He quoted my $500 to replace them, but I'm not sure if this is replacement of the entire control arm or just the bushings. Seems to me to be easier to replace the entire arm rather than try to press new bushings into the old ones? Also, is he referring to the upper (tension strut per BMW) or the lower (wishbone per BMW) control arms?

Anyway, I did a quick search here and got some good information, but one thing I didn't see: Are the control arms different for Sport vs non-sport suspensions? Also, are there some good non-BMW replacement arms that are recommended? I'd like to keep a decent ride quality, and I don't track the car.

Also, if I replace the arms, do I need a re-alignment? Seems that if the arms are exact replacement, then the alignment shouldn't be affected, but that's pure speculation on my part. Are the arms easily replaced as a DIY?

By the way, I have an E93 with Sport Suspension, if that makes a difference in your responses. Thanks in advance!
      05-21-2013, 03:03 PM   #6
Richwm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330i 6MT, 01 E46 330i

Garage List
Quote:
Hey guys,
The tension strut is the only oil fill bushing in the front suspension. The OEM control arms are $102 each from ECS, so if its not the whole arm being replaced you are getting screwed on that price. The bushings are only $45 from ECS for OEM parts.

Control arms are the same between sport and non.
Just go with OEM unless you want replace them again in 20k miles.

You should, but its not manditory but if you don't you might wear your front tires out sooner.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...15&hg=31&fg=05
Mar 05 Build date,2006 E90 330i, Sport Package, Premium Package, TR MT-1's . V-1 Hard-wired power with custom V-1 Concealment Display . Rear fogs, Rear power outlet's, M short shifter knob, BlackLines, BMW Strut tower bar, CDV Delete, Front M3 wishbones + tension struts, BMW Performance shocks and springs, BMW Performance Brake kit F&R, OEM short shift kit. Rear M3 Guide rods and Wishbones.
2006 E-90 330i with 302,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 07:46 AM   #7
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a View Post
You can just press a new bushing into the tension strut. Meyle makes a HD bushing or you can get an oem replacement. You can also replace the whole link: oem, Meyle or M3. If you're riding on run flat tires, stick with oem or Meyle. If you're riding on traditional tires, get the Meyle HD bushings or you may like the reduction in tramlining and brake shimmy with the M3 tension links. Replacing the tension strut or bushing doesn't require an alignment.
Thanks for the feedback! Yes, I am still on runflats, albeit better (and softer) Michelin PS's, so it does make sense to stay with a somewhat "compliant" ride quality. Is the bushing itself pretty easy to replace? I assume I'll need some kind of gear puller to get the old one out. What about pressing in the new one? Can it be carefully hammered in do I need some sort of a press? Also, how hard is it to remove and reinstall the strut?

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 03:00 PM   #8
Richwm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330i 6MT, 01 E46 330i

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback! Yes, I am still on runflats, albeit better (and softer) Michelin PS's, so it does make sense to stay with a somewhat "compliant" ride quality. Is the bushing itself pretty easy to replace? I assume I'll need some kind of gear puller to get the old one out. What about pressing in the new one? Can it be carefully hammered in do I need some sort of a press? Also, how hard is it to remove and reinstall the strut?
It requires a hydrologic press. You could always take the arm off and take it to a machine shop and have them press out the old one and press in the new one.
Mar 05 Build date,2006 E90 330i, Sport Package, Premium Package, TR MT-1's . V-1 Hard-wired power with custom V-1 Concealment Display . Rear fogs, Rear power outlet's, M short shifter knob, BlackLines, BMW Strut tower bar, CDV Delete, Front M3 wishbones + tension struts, BMW Performance shocks and springs, BMW Performance Brake kit F&R, OEM short shift kit. Rear M3 Guide rods and Wishbones.
2006 E-90 330i with 302,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 07:30 AM   #9
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep

So fcpeuro.com carries two different part numbers as replacement bushings. Both are lemforder and both have the exact same description. One is $56 and the other $69. Anybody know the difference?

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 12:01 AM   #10
sutter2k
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

I have the stock parts. There is 20k on them. Nothing wrong with them, just upgraded to the M3 parts.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 09:19 AM   #11
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
Hey guys,

Very easy to replace - just a nut & a bolt - but you gotta have your ride on jack stands and a floor jack to raise the wheel to normal ride height before torque'g nut & bolt. Oh, + creeper & tools.

Alignment recommended anytime a suspension part is replaced.

Stay with BMW parts.

REFERENCE to front end parts, E93.

If doing 2 arms, and I recommend doing both sides, you may as well do all 4 while it's up and available to work on. M3 parts are best.

Think seriously about Koni FSD's - you'll bless yourself on every drive as you marvel of your fortitude, driving stock shocks for so long - pothole explosions no more, especially effective w/RFT's. Speaking of which, Michelin PSS gives a pleasing, better ride.
Appreciate 0